Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice Needed for Pure Slalom Boat, on a budget...

asnowman

I know how some folks here love to help spend other members $$, so here is another chance. My wife has asked that we look into adding a pure slalom boat to the collection. We already have a 2011 VTX, and are not looking to replace it. Yes the VTX pulls a nice slalom wake, but recently we have been wondering if an older response might be better for our early morning sets, especially after a couple instances of the wedge not fully retracting, causing a huge spray and a really wierd wake.

So here's the important info, i ski at 34, she skis at 32, and neither of us has routinely run a full course at 15 off yet. As for the budget, its 20-25k on this one, since I'm still paying for the VTX, so a TXI is out of the question. Wife says no tower, doesn't have any interest in a wedge on this one, and i would prefer to stay with a fuel injected engine.

Have found a couple that seem worth looking at locally:

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/5150487719.html

http://hartford.craigslist.org/boa/5105612528.html

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=33196

Not sure how the slalom wake on these would compare to our VTX, but if there is another model like a sunscape lxi i should look for, please let me know. I figure since summer is short here in New England, now would be the time to look.

Good looking boats. I'll sell you my 94 echelon for 10k. That should help you payoff the VTX. Nevermind that I'm having some vapor lock issues :(

post-22837-0-74215600-1439383633_thumb.j

post-22837-0-92601700-1439383658.jpeg

post-22837-0-79934100-1439383729.jpeg

post-22837-0-02541900-1439383742.jpeg

BTW hold on too that wife she's a keeper. I had to sneak my pure ski boat in under the cover of darkness and ask for forgiveness afterwards!

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV

Any response lx will ski very well and you should be able to find a very nice one in the 20-25k range. If that were my budget though, I would be looking for a gen1 response lxi. 03-06 has still some of the best wakes out there. The search might take a bit longer but it would be worth it imo. Friends 06 lxi skis very similar to my TXi.

Both ski slightly better than my lx. And it was not bad by any means just a bit better.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 2

If you haven't run the course and want a cheaper ski tug that has one of the better 15' off wakes put these boats on your list.

I know this is a Malibu site but this would be my list if I were to buy a closed bow ski boat:

(1) 1997-1999 Ski Nautique 196 (the bubble but version). (one of the better -15' wakes for the budget)

(2) 1994-1999 Tige SLM Comp (I'd say the best -15' wake I've skied @28 mph-34 mph)

(3) Older 190 Mastercraft.

Your wife wants you to buy another boat!?! Where do you find these kind of women? :notworthy:

haha. When I met my wife she had her own VLX. So our first joint financial decision was to upgrade!

Lots of good options for a slalom tug. Personally, I would not recommend a late 90s nautique. Our ski clib had one and I put several hundred hours on it both behind the wheel and rope and I found the wake very sensitive, drives weird, and I hate the platform and rear area. Looks great, not fuinctional. In older Mastercraft 190s be aware that many had the small engine.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

You could get a nice TSC hull for that

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2006-Ski-Nautique-196-Limited-for-sale-Williams-Bay-Wisconsin-50098.aspx

This has been for sale all summer, not sure why it hasn't sold for this price. Right by my house:

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/5123168266.html

Sorry for the Midwest locations. No chance of salt or brackish water anyway.

In that price range I would be looking for a response lxi. Something like this, if the tower offends you it is 4 bolts to remove it.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=33360

I saw this one last night, not loving the hours, even though it looks super clean, but also not wild about driving to Florida to get it. Maine to Forida and back is a long ride. Not a no go for sure though

I am trying to the same thing. I have the 20 MXZ that I love for the family, especially surfing, which is so much fun.

I sold a 2000 open bow Ski Nautique (to my sister - happy it's still in the family) and a small Sea Doo jet boat, to consolidate boats to the MXZ. Now, I really miss having a small direct drive.

I am actually thinking along the lines of something older and classic, like a Malibu Skier, or an American Skier, or an old Nautique. There is a TOTALLY neglected Ski Supreme out in the yard of a property close to me at the river I boat on. I am thinking of knocking on the door to ask what their intentions are for the boat? Don't know if it's worth getting into an almost impossible restoration of a Ski Supreme over the winter? Would be a great experience for me and my son. I have seen the amazing restorations done by guys on this forum. I have been searching the internet for something old, classic cared for and runs.

We never used the open bow on the Ski Nautique. Climbing over the dash was just stupid. For a pure ski boat I would get a closed bow now.

We never used the open bow on the Ski Nautique. Climbing over the dash was just stupid. For a pure ski boat I would get a closed bow now.

Plus, it's less upholstry to care for. You don't need the seating on a slalom tug...

As for the budget, its 20-25k on this one, since I'm still paying for the VTX, so a TXI is out of the question. Wife says no tower, doesn't have any interest in a wedge on this one, and i would prefer to stay with a fuel injected engine.

I know you said fuel injected... but... you could get one of those skiers discussed in the other thread for 6-7k, then use all that left over money to go to a ski school for lessons for a week or 2 each summer for the next 10-15 years.

The CFO says must be a BU. "They just look better" she says.

I would rather go for an LXI, even though the bow would be empty most of the time, makes mooring the boat a bunch easier, and we don't have a lift, yet.....

Raimie, we just learned to ski the course, so ski school will be happening, regardless. I grew up with boats, and know my way around a carb, but can't get ethanol free gas, and just don't want the headache for me or the family. Our oldest kids are driving now, and I'm not always able to be at the lake, so if i can eliminate that as an issue, I don't have catch heck for it later.

There is a nice Tantrum that runs by our place to another course every day, that thing purrs like a kitten.... but not sure how the wake compares, 10 years, been trying to get them to stop so i can bum a pull

There is a nice Tantrum that runs by our place to another course every day, that thing purrs like a kitten.... but not sure how the wake compares, 10 years, been trying to get them to stop so i can bum a pull

I love those boats, same hull as the sportster, but more of a budget interior setup. The windshield is a piece of plexiglass and dash is two gauges. The movable individual seats in the rear are nice though. Also those are a little harder to find since they weren't one of the flagship boats. Also I'd be willing to bet the majority of those are Carbs... not that that is a bad thing, but it removes most of them from your shopping list.

• Like 1

Sporty and Tantrum have hard but small wakes. I'd get a Response, Response LX, or LXi. Should be able to get an '03 for that, which is the year I'd go for provided the ECM has been updated to get rid of the annoying idle flair that year had. Get a snap-on tonneau for the bow and make it like a closed bow.