Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New VTX owner with questions

Badger

Thanks for all the replies. I went with the 1235 prop. It seemed to do well during the test drive with the full ballast and PnP 550's filled and easily hit 34 mph for slalom. Not sure what RPM it was running at.

My dealer is ordering me a ski rack to swap with one of the wakeboard racks. Also getting the Bimini with surf pockets on the top. That should be plenty of options for carrying stuff.

Still not sure about the pylon. I will probably get some sort of Velcro straps, either for under the seat or the inside of my canopy on the hoist.

Dang that's a low gear. Do these boats really need that low gearing or is it to reduce wear on the motor? Our 381 happily runs almost 100:1 RPM/MPH for slalom, can pull up 4 dudes on slalom skis, and chugs along with no issue with wedge, 1500 lbs of ballast plus people, at 2300 RPM. Maybe we just have a strong '01 Monsoon? Haven't really ever had a need for more torque. 537 I could see maybe if we didn't slalom 95% of the time.

Dang badger. I would have loved to know your RPMs for 34 mph. I like to slalom but it's half of what I do. I don't need a more aggressive prop for my use but I really just like a fast holeshot and 0 to cruise speed times.

Has anyone done anything about covering these bolts that come through the hull into the back lockers? I think there's a possibility of scratching stuff or tearing a cover if it were thrown in there.

I don't think the picture does justice to the situation. About the only thing I've thought of is countersinking a piece of wood and using another nut to secure it in place.post-2570-0-41099300-1439550949_thumb.jp

Has anyone done anything about covering these bolts that come through the hull into the back lockers? I think there's a possibility of scratching stuff or tearing a cover if it were thrown in there.

I don't think the picture does justice to the situation. About the only thing I've thought of is countersinking a piece of wood and using another nut to secure it in place.attachicon.gifboat bolts.JPG

Screw nipples?

1-4-inch-White-Screw-Protectors.jpg

I don't think the picture does justice to the situation. About the only thing I've thought of is countersinking a piece of wood and using another nut to secure it in place.attachicon.gifboat bolts.JPG

My VTX, when new, had a row of screws coming into the back lockers that were uncovered. They were sharp and I did have a neo top that got torn. I got the carpet reinstalled by the dealer under warranty to get them covered up. They also gave me a new neo top.

Jeeze, I'm going to need to look at mine. I don't even remember there being carpet back there.

Ok, see what you mean. Haven't been a problem yet, but I guess I would use stainless cap nuts

Edited by oldjeep

Hey guys, the Malivue has me confounded. I'd like to see the RPMs to see what it's running at at certain speeds. I've already searched and see some older statements that I should be able to toggle back and forth on the cruise screen. I'd swear I already tried it and can't find any RPMs anywhere. HELP!

I looking at VTX's. 2011 and newer, I am a slalom course skiier that skis down to 28off maybe a blue moon 32off. Will the rope interfere with the tower while skking in the course?? It looks like the tower is kinda far back. I want a boat that surfs well and this boat looks like it's the best of both worlds but this tower thing concern's me and non to demo at dealership presently. The only other boat that looks close would be the Nautique sport 200 but no surfgate and less ballast so that one's concerns me there. Any help out there would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

You will start having the rope touch the tower at 32 off with the 2013 removable pylon in the middle

The good news is that there is no way the rope is going to touch the tower using the V-drive pylon that all the VTX have ;)

I looking at VTX's. 2011 and newer, I am a slalom course skiier that skis down to 28off maybe a blue moon 32off. Will the rope interfere with the tower while skking in the course?? It looks like the tower is kinda far back. I want a boat that surfs well and this boat looks like it's the best of both worlds but this tower thing concern's me and non to demo at dealership presently. The only other boat that looks close would be the Nautique sport 200 but no surfgate and less ballast so that one's concerns me there. Any help out there would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

If you buy one from before they put in the center pylon (2013), you don't need to worry. If you're on the center pylon, you might have interference.

Edited by UWSkier

I did figure out how to find the RPMs. I think that you can only toggle back and forth when the cruise is not on. So with the 1235 prop at 34 mph, I was running about 4100 RPM. The boat topped out at 41.0 MPH with that prop. Since I don't barefoot and live on a tiny lake, I don't need any more speed than that. The boat definitely has a strong holeshot. I don't have the comparison of a different prop to use, but I'm probably cracking the throttle 30% to pull out a slalom skier as compared to 75% on my '04 Sunscape.

I'd like that kind of pull but I would not like needing to run upper 3000 rpm to get to 32 . Those numbers for the 1235 seem to follow what I have read from others using it.

I do have a couple of questions for VTX owners:

1. I have the opportunity now to change props. Before this morning, I thought I wanted to move to a 1235 based on my usage of slalom skiing at 34 and surfing. A quick search this morning has Oldjeep telling me the stock prop is now the 1939. I’ve also seen the 1273 recommended which I think is in-between the 1939 and 1235. I’ve seen two opposite posts saying the 1235 works great for slalom or the wake is really hard. Not sure which to believe.

2. What do you do with the slalom pole when not in use? I can’t believe there’s not fixed storage under the seat!

3. Does anyone have a G3 ski rack? How do like it. I’m switching out one of the wakeboard/surf racks for it.

Ive got the 2014 and there is a clip for the pole under the port side, i do have the ski rack as well and works awesome for two double boot ski's. Also, i had my prop changed out to the 1235 (15x14.5 and i still have a power issue with a full boat so im gonna try either the 2315 (5x12) or the Acme rep recommended a 1615 (14.5x13.75)

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to dim the interior lights on the VTX or will that require a mod of some sort? I've searched and don't see that answer.

I'm also looking to change the color to blue to match the boat on both the interior and the back lighting of the Wakesetter logo. That appears to be a mod that I've found answers for using my search function.

And a matching new ski!attachicon.gifimage.jpg

About time you upgraded sticks!!

All kidding aside, sorry I missed you Sunday. I spoke with ahopkins and he had nothing to but good things to say about the boat. I'm looking forward to checking it out. Congrats again on the new stead and the new ski!