Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New VTX owner with questions

Badger

I do have a couple of questions for VTX owners:

1. I have the opportunity now to change props. Before this morning, I thought I wanted to move to a 1235 based on my usage of slalom skiing at 34 and surfing. A quick search this morning has Oldjeep telling me the stock prop is now the 1939. I’ve also seen the 1273 recommended which I think is in-between the 1939 and 1235. I’ve seen two opposite posts saying the 1235 works great for slalom or the wake is really hard. Not sure which to believe.

2. What do you do with the slalom pole when not in use? I can’t believe there’s not fixed storage under the seat!

3. Does anyone have a G3 ski rack? How do like it. I’m switching out one of the wakeboard/surf racks for it.

2) There are no clips under the long bench by the table leg storage? Could have swore that I saw some on one newer boat I looked at. But I think you have the table that mounts on the side rather than middle?

3) I have a g3 ski rack (non swivel). Works great, just need to watch the rope when towing from the tower if you are turning hard towards the rack side to pick up rider.

post-22501-0-17815200-1439389056_thumb.j

Edited by oldjeep

No clips. The dealer said they stopped putting them on.

Also, the table is an option that we decided we didn't need. We used our old table about twice in 4 years.

No clips. The dealer said they stopped putting them on.

Also, the table is an option that we decided we didn't need. We used our old table about twice in 4 years.

We have never used ours either. I guess if it were me I would install some straps under the left side bench to secure the pylon if you are not going to leave it installed all the time.

I think the 1939 is standard.

Although slalom is most important to me, the boat will probably see the most hours full of ballast while surfing. That's why I'm thinking 1235. I just spoke with ACME who told me the 1235 would only lose about 2 mph at the top end.

Then I read about the prop affecting the "hardness" of the wake. I'm not sure that I could tell the difference.

One other question - where do you store your boat? If it is in a garage you might want to consider trying to get them to include a garage clearance hoop so that it'll clear a standard 7ft door when the tower is folded. Only downside is that you have to watch the rope a bit more getting into the racks when turning to get a rider and getting straightened out to pull them up.

I redid my garage a couple of years ago and put in a 7.5' door specifically for this reason. Will it fit?

Yup - these should be the specs for a 2015 (on a boatmate trailer anyways)

Wakesetter 20 VTX - Trailer Specs

Height on trailer tower folded, no tow hoop, no racks 6'-8"

Height on trailer tower folded 7'-1"

LOA, tongue folded, swim off, w/manual wedge down 21'-3"

LOA, tongue folded, swim off, w/power wedge down 21'-8"

LOA, tongue folded, swim off, w/power wedge up 21'10"

LOA, tongue folded, swim on 23'-0"

Total width of Trailer, without guide poles 8'-5"

Total width of Trailer, w/guide poles 8'-10"

I put the 1235 on mine and I swear the slalom wake is harder for skiing, even though everyone says it shouldn't make a difference. Much better for surfing though. I'd be curious to compare the 1939 v. 1235 skiing. Think I am down the road from you (boat is on Elizabeth Lake); heading out of town Friday for the week but we could compare when I get back.

I also have tabs under the side seat to hold the slalom pole.

I think the 1939 is standard.

Although slalom is most important to me, the boat will probably see the most hours full of ballast while surfing. That's why I'm thinking 1235. I just spoke with ACME who told me the 1235 would only lose about 2 mph at the top end.

Then I read about the prop affecting the "hardness" of the wake. I'm not sure that I could tell the difference.

Badger, There is no "standard" prop. As part of the build, the dealer selects the prop. The 1939 might be the most common but the only way to know is to look at the hub. Can you do that? I may have a 1235 I could sell you. True, other options may be labelled" high altitude or torque or whatever, but

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Your in a bit of a difficult position concerning your prop choice.

You say that slalom is the most important thing to you but that the majority of the boats use will be full ballast surfing. Those are kind of at the opposite ends of the prop spectrum.

I have the 1235 and have never found the slalom wake to be "hard". That said I'm not an expert slalom skier so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I will say the 1235 handles a weighted VTX quite well and unless you're planning to weight that thing down to the rub rail you should be fine with the proper weight distribution.

Good luck!

I have the opportunity to pick which prop I want upon delivery, hence my question. Yes, I want the best of both worlds and I know it. That's why I chose the diamond hull VTX, bought a brand new discounted end of model year boat, trying to pick the perfect compromise prop, and listen to Van Hagar.

Ya need two props. Let the dealer buy you the most expensive a 1235 (or a 2315) for wakeboarding/surfing. Then you buy a used 537 or 1939 for skiing. Knock out you slalom skiing first thing, then head back to the dock or trailer and swap out your skis and prop for surfing .

I have the Samson swivel ski racks on my G3 tower and love them. They are used all of the time. It is so nice not to have a pile of skis in the walk through. I chose the Samson racks over the Titan partly because they were significantly less expensive. They are extremely well made and have been rock solid.

I have a 537 and a 1235 prop for my VTX. I haven't really noticed much of a difference between them for slalom skiing. The 1235 seems to hold speed a little better for surfing. I haven't tried the other props. I don't remember which prop I have had on the boat when I've been at elevation.

Ya need two props. Let the dealer buy you the most expensive a 1235 (or a 2315) for wakeboarding/surfing. Then you buy a used 537 or 1939 for skiing. Knock out you slalom skiing first thing, then head back to the dock or trailer and swap out your skis and prop for surfing .

I can't imagine a more miserable solution than swapping props back and forth.

• Like 2

Ouch guys harsh. I swap props. I never found one prop that would do it all that well. It think a prop swap gives me the best of both worlds, a good responsive boat for slalom pulls and pulling kids on tubes (race car), make da swap and I have a boat pushing a ton of surf weight (tractor). I never thought I should be miserable changing the prop till now. I'm kinda bummed standing here with my adjustable wrench and hammer.

If it works for you. For me it would mean 1/2 hour back to the ramp, run the 1/2 mile up the hill to the truck, wait in line pull the boat out back up the hill, swap the prop in the parking lot, back down the hill wait in line to launch, back up the hill to park, 1/2 mile back down the hill and then drive the boat back to the area that we do water sports.

I'm sticking with miserable.

Thanks for all the replies. I went with the 1235 prop. It seemed to do well during the test drive with the full ballast and PnP 550's filled and easily hit 34 mph for slalom. Not sure what RPM it was running at.

My dealer is ordering me a ski rack to swap with one of the wakeboard racks. Also getting the Bimini with surf pockets on the top. That should be plenty of options for carrying stuff.

Still not sure about the pylon. I will probably get some sort of Velcro straps, either for under the seat or the inside of my canopy on the hoist.

Thanks for all the replies. I went with the 1235 prop. It seemed to do well during the test drive with the full ballast and PnP 550's filled and easily hit 34 mph for slalom. Not sure what RPM it was running at.

My dealer is ordering me a ski rack to swap with one of the wakeboard racks. Also getting the Bimini with surf pockets on the top. That should be plenty of options for carrying stuff.

Still not sure about the pylon. I will probably get some sort of Velcro straps, either for under the seat or the inside of my canopy on the hoist.

Which ski rack are you getting?