Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Call on you foil experts

Mtn308

So I've never ridden a hydrofoil and I'm sure I'll never get to the skill set of most of you but I'm itching to get one and give it a shot. I've been keeping my eye out for a used board and just came across these three and wondered if they are good, bad, or otherwise. I'm not ready to throw down $3-5k for a ski quite yet but I do want to get some bang for my buck. Let me know what you think please! Oh and I'm open to other suggestions too.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=678&ad=35845644&cat=194&lpid=

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=678&ad=35920916&cat=194&lpid=

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=678&ad=35925378&cat=194&lpid=

So how aggresive do you ride other toys? Are you trying jumps or flips on a wakeboard? Bike? Snowboard? Snowskiis? And how big a guy are you?

The reason I ask is because the first SS in your list is probably billet & a lot stronger. If you're a big guy who has broken a mt bike frame or snow skies, buy billet.

I'm 200 lbs, and like to be aggressive at most things I do. My wife says I'm an idiot because even after several broken bones and surgeries I still ride moto, downhill Mountain bike, or like to drop a cliff here and there on the snow ski so I guess I feel like my goal would be to get that ski in the air eventually.

I've been watching foilforum.com but man its hard to get your hands on anything there... They go fast.

So are all pro SS billet or is there something I should be looking for? Also when I got check out the ski, what kind of things should I be looking for on wear and tear?

Pros built after about 2004 are billet. Prior to that, they were cast aluminum. The fork top & ball burnished seat in the second two ads are older skis. I bent or broke mine back then.

Check your local Craigslist or EBay too. The seller SKYKLE1 is Murphy who owns Next Foils now (former owner of both AirChair & SkySki). He does a lot of trading and EBay deals now. He would be worth contacting. Tell him you heard about him from me.

Not am expert by any stretch of the imagination but I will chime in. Here's a SSPro in ok. Not sure if this is cast or billit. It has the same board and tower as mine, and mine has the billit tbar.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/5168520046.html

I bought Air chair stealth learned how to fly it and sold it quickly since it couldn't be upgraded. Picked up a nice billit SSPro, rode it for a while, and then upgraded TBar and wings. I paid $500 for my SSPro and spent < $1500 on my tbar and wings. When I get my board and tower upgraded, I will be able to re assemble my original set up and sell for $800-1000. It's an addicting sport and the better equipment has made a huge impact on my riding. There is a big consensus from riders that it is better to get to a certain equipment level, once, rather than continually over time. I have chosen the longer, questionably more expensive path due to budget constraints and am completely happy. Long ways to go but I am in to the sport for fairly inexpensive compared to many.

Edit: mine has the flame or tribal graphic board, not the one in the picture.

Edited by isellacuras