Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Saw a little project boat today.

Bill_AirJunky

One of my computer clients is a used car dealer. I was moving a server & happened to see a boat in the back of their shop. Had to take a look at it. It's definitely a project, with quite a bit of potential. Thought a couple of you would get a kick out of it though. He said it's an 86.

IMG_20150811_111122774_HDR_zpsnkxgwny9.j

IMG_20150811_111136401_HDR_zpsjbdndnyz.j

IMG_20150811_111153046_zpsvg2jcamq.jpg

IMG_20150811_111204438_zps5kdymelt.jpg

• Like 2

This is in my WA?? that's just my kind of boat. No stupid computer thingys - just turn the key and go ski! What do you think this vintage beauty is worth?

Edited by Rednucleus

I talked to one of the sales guys briefly. Their filing a lost title for the trailer title. Not sure when it's going to come together. Apparently it had a shrinkwrap cover on it, got slit by a thief, took on some water & has had the starter replaced as a result. Engine is a 351 & runs good. Hull has what appears to be an old bottom paint job on it.

If the floors & stringers are in good shape, I'd guess the value a bit under $10k.

If anyone is truly interested, PM me & I'll ask more questions & take more pictures.

I talked to one of the sales guys briefly. Their filing a lost title for the trailer title. Not sure when it's going to come together. Apparently it had a shrinkwrap cover on it, got slit by a thief, took on some water & has had the starter replaced as a result. Engine is a 351 & runs good. Hull has what appears to be an old bottom paint job on it.

If the floors & stringers are in good shape, I'd guess the value a bit under $10k.

If anyone is truly interested, PM me & I'll ask more questions & take more pictures.

water got pretty deep based on the water marks on the doghouse. Floor and stringers would be a major concern, also is the transom glass over wood as well?

If it's an 86 $10K would be a whole lot of money for that boat based on the condition and bottom paint. I've seen several this summer that are running and appear to be in better shape for $6500 or less....

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/5141295539.html

Here's a 95 for $6K

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/5152668272.html

Here's a project 91 for $4K OBO

You hate to see them go but that's a $4K boat in it's current condition IMO......

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/5118179536.html

• Like 1

....., those low hours are a disadvantage at this point.

Only in this group. The rest of the world seems to believe low hours are the bottom line.

I don't disagree with your prices. For someone like me, I would have to get it for $1000 or $1500 to make it worth my while (to be able to work on it all winter, then flip it early summer for a little profit).

Been a tech for a long time and I don't believe that garbage about low hours on an older boat is a bad thing. So a valve cover gasket dries up? Big deal you've got an engine and trans with very low hours....

I never understood how that wives tail got started around here.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
  • Like 3

Been a tech for a long time and I don't believe that garbage about low hours on an older boat is a bad thing. So a valve cover gasket dries up? Big deal you've got an engine and trans with very low hours....

I bought an '01 with 200 hours and everyone local told me I was dumb for buying a boat that sat around that long... i just rode away in my mint Malibu.

• Like 2

I bought a 94 with 60 hrs on it that spent most its life sitting in a barn in Pendleton, OR. After a couple of failures, I spent quite a bit of time replacing every belt, hose, cover, windshield gasket & having several seats restitched. Lots of dry rot on that boat.

I bought an '01 with 200 hours and everyone local told me I was dumb for buying a boat that sat around that long... i just rode away in my mint Malibu.

200 on an '01 is A LOT different than 100 on an '86

I traded my 89 Donzi straight across for an 02 Chaparral that had 16 hours on it back in 05. I just sold the boat this year and it had 250 hours on it, which makes it 13 years old. I sold it to a friend and gave him a 1 yr warranty on it because I know how well it was taken care of. Not to mention, that before I sold it, I had just had EVERYTHING serviced, plugs, new water pump, gear oil, oil, serpentine belt, and new rubber boots on the through hull fittings, as well as a new starter because the old one went out last labor day. I also had it professionally detailed inside and out. I don't believe low hours are detrimental on real old boats, it depends more on how well the boat was taken care of. Mine was garage kept during the winter with heat, and under a lift with a roof as well as covered during the summer during the week. Oil was changed every 25 hours, (sometimes might have slipped to 40 hrs), and gear oil changed every year.

That boat has been abandoned, so while the engine has low hours, if water managed to get into it or simply the moisture in the air inside the engine can produce condensation, which leads to surface rust, ect. Engine probably has a few hundred hours of life, but don't think its as good as a 2010 with 96 hours. The reality though, is that you can rebuild that engine for prob 1k or so and have a pristine engine, interior is the same, doesn't take a ton of $$$ to make it right, just as long as its struturely sound, it would be an awesome project.

Edited by IPXpert

200 on an '01 is A LOT different than 100 on an '86

this is true, besides rubber parts and maybe a few rats nests in the wiring what else could be bad?

I disagree. This boat was probably only used for 6 seasons. That would be light use 15 hrs / year. So for the other 23 years, it sat, most likely it wasn't cared for. That's a lot of dry rot and time for moisture to build up where it shouldn't be. When I said that low of hours isn't a good thing, that doesn't just mean on the engine and trans. It's everything. Every wire, piece of rubber, plastic etc... plus corrosion, gunk, etc..... Everything on the boat is nearly 30 years old.

the part about being a tech is where the disconnect is. Replacing belts/ hoses/ gaskets is super easy for me and worth getting an engine with little wear.

Rust in the cylinders, sure but what's that got to do with age? Rust can form up in the cylinder regardless of age or hours and has more to do (a lot more) with how the boat was stored and if the cylinders were fogged. Even a little rust isn't that big of a deal if you take the time to lubricate the cylinders and turn the engine over by hand.

Take bills comment for example. Every item he mentioned can be attributed to age and not necessarily lack of use.

Besides you can always walk away if the boat shows the age. If the boat were otherwise in great shape why wouldn't you buy it?

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

I disagree. This boat was probably only used for 6 seasons. That would be light use 15 hrs / year. So for the other 23 years, it sat, most likely it wasn't cared for. That's a lot of dry rot and time for moisture to build up where it shouldn't be. When I said that low of hours isn't a good thing, that doesn't just mean on the engine and trans. It's everything. Every wire, piece of rubber, plastic etc... plus corrosion, gunk, etc..... Everything on the boat is nearly 30 years old.

The boat is old. This has nothing to use, it's condition is only related to how it was kept.

What I am saying is the conversation should be that the boat is old and wasn't stored well. NOT that the boat has 96 hours on it.

Take bills comment for example. Every item he mentioned can be attributed to age and not necessarily lack of use.

Except that this was on a 94 boat that I bought in 99. The point is that low hours doesn't mean low problems. Could just mean a different batch of problems.

The boat in the picture does not have a 351 in it. Look where the distributor is. Probably a 350.

Your correct. My mistake.

I stopped by the dealership today. Their expecting to have the trailer title around Sept 15th. And they want to sell it bad. I suggested that with it being a project that it might be worth $2k or $3k & they didn't flinch.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1

The boat is old. This has nothing to use, it's condition is only related to how it was kept.

What I am saying is the conversation should be that the boat is old and wasn't stored well. NOT that the boat has 96 hours on it.

I disagree. In this case the super low hours and age equate to the same thing...

If this was a 30 year old boat with 1000 hours on it, I would think differently. If it had 1000+ hours, impellers were replaced, oil was changed, probably had to replace a steering cable, maybe a throttle cable. It's not always the case, but generally more hours means more care was taken because the boat was used and cared for by someone that appreciated it. Maybe the cover tore the last year or two it got dirty, but for most of it's life it was cared for... not sure if that makes any sense, but that's how I think of it.

Edited by Raimie