Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 MXZ coming?

DarkSide

The new malibu boats have a lot of freeboard. Malibu just needs to up their stock ballast tank size. If they can get to 3k stock ballast BEFORE the wedge, they'll be right there with the G-series.

• Like 2

IXFE,

I would disagree a 17% market share, from a "one boat company" should not be ignored.

What draws me to Malibu is that they seem to be a bit more on the creative side. I don't think that the G should be ignored but I'd have to wonder if Malibu can do something that completely eclipses the G, rather than take a "me, too" approach. Malibu picked up about 10% market share after Surf Gate was launched, didn't it? I don't think Malibu can ignore any boat that has the ability to shake up the industry. Is the G that boat? I don't know - I've honestly only seen one on the road, and none on the water (but they left East TN in about 2012).

Don't see a 23 MXZ coming personally....

Based on what I have gathered from dealers is that the MXZ does not sell anywhere close to the volume that the VLX and LSV bring. And now with the 25LSV coming - I bet you see fewer 24 MXZ boats being sold.

Keep in mind too how many ski nautiques CC sells. While I personally don't know the numbers, anecdotally, they seem to sell way more than malibu with the txi.

I think that is a regional thing too. I haven't seen a nautique ski boat that was made in the last 10 years locally. Plenty of txi, and fewer prostars.

Make no mistake, i believe Bu is doing some things exceptionally well. I will take my 24MXZ over a G any day and twice in Sunday

But there are a few things like stock ballasth the G does better.

Don't see a 23 MXZ coming personally....

Based on what I have gathered from dealers is that the MXZ does not sell anywhere close to the volume that the VLX and LSV bring. And now with the 25LSV coming - I bet you see fewer 24 MXZ boats being sold.

I bet the 25 LSV sells about the same as the 247. Does anyone on this site even own a newer 247?

I see many more 20 MXZs than 247s

If I were to take a guess, I don't think this new boat is an MXZ. Take a look at the MXZ boats and compare them to the all new 25 LSV or 20 VTX. They already have all the most up-to-date styling cues of those boats. I think MY2017 will be the year of all new MXZs. I think this new G-killer will be a new breed. Maybe they start with the most popular length 23' to test the waters and see the take rate. If it's popular, then we'll see a 21 or 22 foot version in the future. I don't see what's the harm bringing a surf specific boat to market. It does seem like wakesurfing has overtaken wakeboarding these last few years.

Edited by Cory

I bet the 25 LSV sells about the same as the 247. Does anyone on this site even own a newer 247?

Partly b/c over the past 18 months everyone knew the 247 was being totally redesigned....

And the of course, the design was 9 years old, almost unchanged!

The new 2016 redesign isn't for existing G customers. Their target is blatantly new Nautique customers. A dryer ride is of near zero concern or reason to trade up to any G owner. I'd need to be convinced the surf wave is better. There is no other wave wave I prefer more, or another boat I'd rather drive for 1-2hrs pulling others, or spend 20-25hrs in every weekend with 4-8 folks roughly 16-18 weekends a summer.

2014-2015 450hp 17" prop Gs, and most all the 550hp G owners KEEP their boats because they love them so much with only a few exceptions of a few guys who trade yearly. Not being a snot, but you get to the point of of total satisfaction and no need to chase the yearly flip.

• Like 2

Make no mistake, i believe Bu is doing some things exceptionally well. I will take my 24MXZ over a G any day and twice in Sunday

I LOVE the 24 MXZ. Drove one a 2015 yesterday for a while. MLS, plug n play, 1k of lead and PW2 and the thing still drives like a sports car... mmmm love me some LS3 powered boats.

Now, I've not driven a G23, but I've driven loaded 23+ ft boats from other manufacturers and they don't drive NEARLY as well.

Edited by boardjnky4

honest question.

what do you like better about the 24mxz? vs. the g23 with a 550.

I sat in the G21 at the norcal WTW and i am continually impressed with the fit/finish of nautique. (we almost pulled the trigger on a (13' g23 before buying our 14'lsv) it was $18k more that the LSV but bigger engine, Z5, and metal flake. We didn't demo it , and we are happy with the decision we made, but if i have to keep hearing about the G.D floor cooler from the wife i may have to upgrade just to stop hearing about it

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 3

Of course not.

A G owner would NEVER be the type that wants the latest and greatest. Silly me.....

I love this a MC owner calling out a Nautique owner on the Malibu forum...LOL

Nothing personal doc/ryan i just find that funny...

honest question.

what do you like better about the 24mxz? vs. the g23 with a 550.

Ok Steve,

1. Bow area of MXZ is nicest in the industry by far. If you like big bow for lounging, or separation kids/adults or guys/girls.

2. Dash. Malibu has this nailed, its awesome. Big screen displaying everything, small 7" with map/navigation. It is fantastic.

3. 24 MXZ drives like a sports car, handles decent loaded.

4. G4 tower. I get 4 racks and 2 surf pockets. I frequently have 6 riders on board, everyone has surfboard, and add in a couple wake boards and we're full. G only allows 1 set of racks. Shoving boards in lockers is not convenient to me. I know others do it, and it isn't that big of a deal, but still.

5. Wakeview seating. Malibu again nailed this one. G has the removable back rests, just extra crap to store when not using it.

6. Not a fan of walk though transom. I know there is a filler. But i don't like it so filler would always be in. Someone lays on the sun pad EVERY trip. May not be for extended time but still.

7. Style, i like the looks of the G, but the MXZ is sleeker, and sexier IMHO.

8. Seating surfaces, to me the MXZ is just more comfortable.

9. Economics, 24MXZ. Is 10k less for 1.5' more boat.

10. Customer service. I know others may have different experiences. I can honestly say the only thing that would make Malibu customer service better is if I never had to use it.

Items 1~4 trump floor cooler. Especially if you have large crew with multiple boards. Getting 1 person to move to get in the cooler is no big deal, we change riders often so getting boards in/out would be worse to me. We also keep a cooler out, and use it for drinks. The stowed cooler is where lunch goes. So it is not accessed that often. The cooler we have in the floor doubles as for rest.

Edited by DarkSide

I love this a MC owner calling out a Nautique owner on the Malibu forum...LOL

Nothing personal doc/ryan i just find that funny...

That is rather ironic isn't it? Both former Bu owners though

I just think the G being such a great boat hinders current owners from upgrading. If there are no big changes then why upgrade?

That is the perfect reason for Nautique to redesign it? How do you get current owners in new boats and keep them in Nautique? Redesign the rig and make it even better. Attracts current and new owners. Wouldn't be the first time that was done in the industry.

That is rather ironic isn't it? Both former Bu owners though

I just think the G being such a great boat hinders current owners from upgrading. If there are no big changes then why upgrade?

That is the perfect reason for Nautique to redesign it? How do you get current owners in new boats and keep them in Nautique? Redesign the rig and make it even better. Attracts current and new owners. Wouldn't be the first time that was done in the industry.

I would certainly tend to agree with you, Doc. My buddy's main complaints with his G-

1-Hates driving into the wind while surfing. The spray is crazy.

2-Wishes the walkthrough continued in with a step pad on the seat.

3-Audio system is terrible

4-Audio volume control needs a rotary control, so you don't have to push + or - a million times.

5-Wants easier to time transfers for surfing.

All of which has been addressed with the new boat. It certainly has his attention...... Also, our dealer said that G23 sales went stale on them, as of late. They were selling 5-7 per year for a couple years (late 2012-late 2014), but have not sold any in over a year, and currently have 2 left overs sitting on the lot. They have 3 orders in for the 16s already from current G23 owners......

Might not be the case in all areas, but it certainly seems it up here.

• 4 weeks later...