Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 MXZ coming?

DarkSide

I spoke to my dealer today and he is not convinced this new model exists. He said he was out at the Malibu factory in August getting trained on the new 16's and there was no mention of this, nor did he see any evidence during his time in the assembly floor. I believe he has no idea, and he believes he's telling me the truth. I'm just hopeful he is wrong.

It's not on the factory floor. If it would have been they would have made sure to pull it off before anyone could see it. Engineering and prototype is in a separate building that isn't located in the same gated factory area.

Of course no one is going to mention it. Any dealers who know something were instructed to say nothing.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

Ixfe hopes you're right or he owes someone lunch!

I wonder who that could be :whistle:

Hahaha... this made me laugh. Yes, I do faintly remember betting a lunch on this. Although as I recall, the terms state that deliver of said lunch is to occur in Portland immediately followed by a surf sesh on my boat. As this "G Killa" rumor develops I'm becoming more and more convinced that you guys are right.

I gotta stop throwing free lunches around. If Utah doesn't lose at least 2 football games I'm gonna owe another one to -BS-. I guess now you see why I don't gamble money...

Edited by IXFE

I spoke to my dealer today and he is not convinced this new model exists. He said he was out at the Malibu factory in August getting trained on the new 16's and there was no mention of this, nor did he see any evidence during his time in the assembly floor. I believe he has no idea, and he believes he's telling me the truth. I'm just hopeful he is wrong.

My dealer admitted to the boat existing but he wouldn't give any details. He just said you'll be fine to wait until November to order one and get it by May. So it's happening but it's Area 51 secret!

Jack springer says boat will be in November. Completely new hull within an existing space. Existing space to me translates to MXZ as there is not a gap in traditional bow. The MXZ has 22' and 24'5" there is room for a 23' version. Also MXZ is oldest on the line right now. Think what happened to 23 LSV, redesigned BLOATED! Then followed up with same template 22 VLX, 25 LSV and now 20 VTX. So it makes sense to redefine MXZ, launch big bad 23 this year, retool 22 and 20 next year and voila. ...

I don't think it's a 23' MXZ.... It will be a big bloated 23' boat but no MXZ. IMO

I hope not I'm not a fork fan at all...

I'm not big on the forks either. But I'm also (unfortunately!) not in the 'spend 200k on a boat' club, so kind of irrelevant to me other than just wanting to see if it lives up to the hype and to check it out.

I figured we'd at least start to see teasers

The better they keep the secret, the better their stock will perform IF it is the so-called "G Killer".* If they announce a model that can effectively cut into that segment of market share Natique holds, that will be good news for them. If they have "teasers", there is a lot more to lose if there are delays, shortcomings, etc. Should be interesting to see what happens.

* I want to make it clear I am in no way saying it is wise to purchase Malibu stock at this time, I personally think they have bigger problems to solve than marketshare

The better they keep the secret, the better their stock will perform IF it is the so-called "G Killer".* If they announce a model that can effectively cut into that segment of market share Natique holds, that will be good news for them. If they have "teasers", there is a lot more to lose if there are delays, shortcomings, etc. Should be interesting to see what happens.

* I want to make it clear I am in no way saying it is wise to purchase Malibu stock at this time, I personally think they have bigger problems to solve than marketshare

Such as...?

Such as...?

IXFE I know you are well known for being the Finance guy on here... So take it easy on me. But...

1) Malibu is well known for being a luxury brand, the reason being is they handcraft so many of their parts and do it in house. Well I fully support jobs and parts here in the USA, you can only cut cost so much. Bring into the equation that they are an industry leader in tech, and with that there is a lot of R&D cost that won't ever go away... Good for customers, bad for shareholders.

2) About a month and a half ago, they had a job posting for a "Manufacturer to Dealer sales manager"... Doing a little digging into that posting, turns out they lost one of their longest tenured Regional Sales Reps. The guy was no where near retirement age, so something tells me Malibu was getting desperate to shove boats out the door to dealers... Someone doesn't "just quit" after working there for over 10 years.

While I do think a G-Killa would help, I don't think it will be significant enough to drive the stocks price for any amount of time. There may be a jump on the announcement, but then again I wouldn't at all be surprised if it wasn't

I have always wanted my own Bu' and hopefully will someday.

I know this is not the MBUU forum, so I don't want to get off topic too much... But I thought it was relevant.

Until we know for sure, I will continue to enjoy reading about all this "G-Killa" speculation... It is a blast seeing people's predictions, thanks for being a kick a$$ community.

2) About a month and a half ago, they had a job posting for a "Manufacturer to Dealer sales manager"... Doing a little digging into that posting, turns out they lost one of their longest tenured Regional Sales Reps. The guy was no where near retirement age, so something tells me Malibu was getting desperate to shove boats out the door to dealers... Someone doesn't "just quit" after working there for over 10 years.

You are reading WAY too much into that. People "just quit" every day for a whole slew of reasons, and they aren't always because soemthign is wrong with the company. I've been that guy. Some factors are family, not liking the region (particularly if you aren't from it), advancement opportunity, being hired away from a competitor for a better opportunity. The list goes on.

• Like 3

You are reading WAY too much into that. People "just quit" every day for a whole slew of reasons, and they aren't always because soemthign is wrong with the company. I've been that guy. Some factors are family, not liking the region (particularly if you aren't from it), advancement opportunity, being hired away from a competitor for a better opportunity. The list goes on.

Fair point... It is still a loss to them though and an issue. But again, I don't want to shift the topic off of the boat news.

IXFE I know you are well known for being the Finance guy on here... So take it easy on me. But...

1) Malibu is well known for being a luxury brand, the reason being is they handcraft so many of their parts and do it in house. Well I fully support jobs and parts here in the USA, you can only cut cost so much. Bring into the equation that they are an industry leader in tech, and with that there is a lot of R&D cost that won't ever go away... Good for customers, bad for shareholders.

While I do think a G-Killa would help, I don't think it will be significant enough to drive the stocks price for any amount of time. There may be a jump on the announcement, but then again I wouldn't at all be surprised if it wasn't

I have always wanted my own Bu' and hopefully will someday.

I know this is not the MBUU forum, so I don't want to get off topic too much... But I thought it was relevant.

Until we know for sure, I will continue to enjoy reading about all this "G-Killa" speculation... It is a blast seeing people's predictions, thanks for being a kick a$$ community.

Okay, I'll take it easy on you. ;-)

Personally I don't view the two items you posted as bigger than market share.

On your first item I think you're calling them out for rising costs. If so, I commend you for knowing the facts. Most folks on this forum seem convinced that Malibu is cutting corners and costs. As you correctly inferred the average cost per boat has gone up every year since 2013 (the first year we have data). IMHO, It's kind of a good news / bad news story. The good news is Malibu's gross margin (revenue minus cost of goods sold) is steady at 26% which means costs are going up but it's commensurate with price increases; very normal for a mature manufacturing company. On the other hand, if I was CFO I'd certainly be looking for ways to defy that trend (hold cost per boat flat while watching the market take pricing up). But I think it's naive to assume Wayne Wilson and Ritchie Anderson aren't attempting exactly that. It's kinda hard when they are in fact delivering MORE each year. These boats literally get better every year. Personally, I would never advocate for moving manufacturing overseas as you suggest (at least I think you did), and I can't think of a component they build in-in-house that would be cheaper if outsourced; much of it already is. Regardless, it's possible that Malibu is both watching costs while also seeking share growth at the same time. Those two activities are not mutually exclusive.

As for the sales rep who left, I agree with 67, you have no idea why he left (neither do I). And since when is the attrition of ONE guy more important to a company than their market share (unless it's Steve Jobs, and even then it hasn't slowed Apple)? But I'll take it a step further, you suggesting that it's because "Malibu was getting desperate to shove boats out to dealers" is reckless and unfounded. I don't know what your background is, but I honestly don't understand how a rationale human being can jump to that conclusion and level that accusation. If it were true, Malibu would certainly be accountable as "channel inventory" is discussed in every single earnings call with the analysts.

Back to the G Killa! Who has pics?

I'm starting to wonder if it's a militarised VLX/LSV/MXZ designed to blow as many g's out of the water as it can also to take over Cuba on slow days, hence the g-killer moniker.

Seriously though, last weekend my dealer put on 2015 owners reunion while boat show was on. The GM for Malibu Australia happened to be there so of course I asked him about this magical new boat, while he wouldn't confirm or deny the boat verbally at least, his body language and expression seemed to indicate that this at least exists.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a militarised VLX/LSV/MXZ designed to blow as many g's out of the water as it can also to take over Cuba on slow days, hence the g-killer moniker.

Seriously though, last weekend my dealer put on 2015 owners reunion while boat show was on. The GM for Malibu Australia happened to be there so of course I asked him about this magical new boat, while he wouldn't confirm or deny the boat verbally at least, his body language and expression seemed to indicate that this at least exists.

I've been telling you guys it exists. Some people have seen it.

I've been telling you guys it exists. Some people have seen it.

So when this G-killa does get announced... Which one of you current 2015 LSV or VLX owners wants to throw me a "killa" deal on your current boat? :lol: