Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 MXZ coming?

DarkSide

Do they though? We all seem to think so, yet sales aren't suffering to the point where they need to rebound the entire company off one new boat.

The more i think about this the answer is yes. They absolutely do need one. Malibu has 22~24% market share without axis. This is with 9 models. Nautique has a much smaller share, but really only a couple boats. The G series is the vast majority of sales. At least that's what i see here. The 23 being the lions share,a 21 or 25 here abd there, but 23 regularly.

Bu needs an answer for this segment. Big bloated surf monster.

The funny thing is i also heard Nautique is getting ready to significantly up thier offering. Allowing 550 to have 2:1 tranny and 17x17 prop.

The person told me they have almost 1000 hours on a 25 in this config running 10k of ballast. Maybe a load of crap, but having the 550, i believe with a 2:1 and 17x17 10k seams very feasible.

You heard right. The 2016 G is available with 550 and the 2:1 Gearbox..... Not a rumor. Tis 100% confirmed.

You heard right. The 2016 G is available with 550 and the 2:1 Gearbox..... Not a rumor. Tis 100% confirmed.

This will definitely open the door to unprecedented wave sizes. There will be a guy somewhere that will put 8~10k in ballast in one of these. The wave will be stupid big.

This will definitely open the door to unprecedented wave sizes. There will be a guy somewhere that will put 8~10k in ballast in one of these. The wave will be stupid big.

At some point all hulls can be overweighted

Why did Malibu switch to hydraulic surf gat actuators? I hadn't heard of any issues with the fast operating Lenco gates. Only the power wedge had issues when the dual Lenco actuators got out of sync. Are hydraulic actuators capable of carrying greater loads for a larger gate? Say a larger gate of a G-killer???

No one has explained the benefit of this change...

I have the same question... no other boat maker with a gate system is using hydraulic actuators, they all use lenco for there surf actuator. The PW makes total sense, but nothing is fail proof in marine industry, especially when something is under water. Time will tell on the hydraulic PW actuator.

The looks of the tower have grown on me and it seems to function very well. However, "the best tower period" is highly subjective.

Anything that folds forward is not the best tower for ME. Living on the lake and owning a lift changes the game significantly. I like to keep my canopy lower so I can tuck the boat in high and tight. Driving onto a lift with a forward facing tower can be done (I did it with both the MXZ and the LSV) but NOT having to do that is far superior for me and my purposes.

While the ZFT4's looks are subjective, the ability to rear fold with only one person plus the location of the speakers makes it the best tower I have experienced. You can crank the towers and still hold a conversation in the boat. The swivel clamping racks are also top notch. I have really found nothing I don't like about the tower.

To each his own (and for some the G4 might be the best) but I would consider the G4 a downgrade from what I have now.

Ok, I suppose if you regularly collapse your tower to get on your lift, then a rear collapsing tower would have a benefit. We have our boat on a lift at our cabin, but I keep the canopy up high enough so I don't need to collapse the tower.

Ok, I suppose if you regularly collapse your tower to get on your lift, then a rear collapsing tower would have a benefit. We have our boat on a lift at our cabin, but I keep the canopy up high enough so I don't need to collapse the tower.

For that kind of setup I would think that a vertical lift would make more sense and then keep the canopy high. That way you can drive the boat in with the tower up, especially during the day and then drop the tower and pull the boat all the way up at night. The ones I've see on my folks lake have about 5 feet of lift in the carriage, rather than the couple feet you get from a cantilever.

For that kind of setup I would think that a vertical lift would make more sense and then keep the canopy high. That way you can drive the boat in with the tower up, especially during the day and then drop the tower and pull the boat all the way up at night. The ones I've see on my folks lake have about 5 feet of lift in the carriage, rather than the couple feet you get from a cantilever.

By keeping the canopy up high you sacrifice how much you can tuck your boat up in the canopy.

I prefer max tucking and dropping the tower every time I pull in and out

The ZFT4 takes 5 seconds to drop by one person.

Note, I have a vertical lift with over 5 feet of movement with a deep canopy and unless you keep the canopy lower you lose coverage

It is a trade off. I have tried both

Edited by DocPhil

yes, but I'm not putting the cover on every time you crazy man (if that is what you are suggesting)

Do you not cover your boat every night? Even with bug spray around the perimeter of the canopy, we still get some critters making a mess if we don't cover each night. Spiders LOVE canopy covers!!!

Yes, spiders invade our boat like crazy, but back to Darksides original topic...

The 23 MXZ makes total sense. The 23 LSV is BUs best seller, so why not offer it basically in a configuration that allows for more bow space? I have not heard anything concrete, but I follow your logic. We also see quite a few MXZs in our neck of the woods, so there is a demand. Had there been a 23 MXZ in the lineup when I bought mine, I would most likely have went with it. I like it. Lets see what they do and hopefully soon!

Do you not cover your boat every night? Even with bug spray around the perimeter of the canopy, we still get some critters making a mess if we don't cover each night. Spiders LOVE canopy covers!!!

Heck no. defeats the purpose of a canopy in my mind

• Like 2

Heck no. defeats the purpose of a canopy in my mind

Then this explains why you like the boat tucked up close to the cover so rain can't get in when the wind blows and keep the sun off of the interior. I spray the perimeter of the canopy once a month and this does a decent job of keeping the spiders at bay, but certainly not 100%. When we are at the cabin, I just loosely drape the cover over the boat at night, primarily as a spider poop block. I don't take it off and put it on every time we take the boat out over the course of a given day. I certainly want the cover on when we do campfires down by the waterfront.

When we leave the cabin, I put the cover on tight.

Edited by Cory
  • Like 2

Then this explains why you like the boat tucked up close to the cover so rain can't get in when the wind blows and keep the sun off of the interior. I spray the perimeter of the canopy once a month and this does a decent job of keeping the spiders at bay, but certainly not 100%. When we are at the cabin, I just loosely drape the cover over the boat at night, primarily as a spider poop block. I don't take it off and put it on every time we take the boat out over the course of a given day. I certainly want the cover on when we do campfires down by the waterfront.

When we leave the cabin, I put the cover on tight.

Exactly. I got a deep canopy and long canopy sides. When I tuck it right up under it is totally protected.

I do find the occasional spider turd but a lil 303 takes care of that

The 23 MXZ makes total sense. The 23 LSV is BUs best seller, so why not offer it basically in a configuration that allows for more bow space?

You lose cabin space for the bow space you gain, FWIW. The helm is further back.

That said, I'm not sure I get this. Between Axis and Mailbu, there are 3 20' boats, 4 22' boats, 2 23' boats, 2 24' boats, and 1 25' boat. That is 12 different models, 8 of which are +/- 1' from 23. That's a whole lot of overlap. Is one more right in the middle address a badly missing void? If it were a really big one like the new 25' LSV, then I suppose okay, but a 4th MXZ seems to be a bit overkill IMHO.

You lose cabin space for the bow space you gain, FWIW. The helm is further back.

That said, I'm not sure I get this. Between Axis and Mailbu, there are 3 20' boats, 4 22' boats, 2 23' boats, 2 24' boats, and 1 25' boat. That is 12 different models, 8 of which are +/- 1' from 23. That's a whole lot of overlap. Is one more right in the middle address a badly missing void? If it were a really big one like the new 25' LSV, then I suppose okay, but a 4th MXZ seems to be a bit overkill IMHO.

It's only "necessary" if you subscribe to the notion that Malibu needs a G boat. Personally, I don't think they do. But if they make one I hope it's an MXZ and not some one-off design.

Exactly. I got a deep canopy and long canopy sides. When I tuck it right up under it is totally protected.

I do find the occasional spider turd but a lil 303 takes care of that

I'm the crazy one who full evo covers his boat each night..... buckles and all.

It's only "necessary" if you subscribe to the notion that Malibu needs a G boat. Personally, I don't think they do. But if they make one I hope it's an MXZ and not some one-off design.

I think it's completely necessary. You own a good portion of the market already. Why not take more? The G is nautique best seller. Build a boat to compete and take market share.

I think it's completely necessary. You own a good portion of the market already. Why not take more? The G is nautique best seller. Build a boat to compete and take market share.

I'm not sure they need one, tige built one to compete and it hasn't done well. People that want the G want the G. I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to take their market share unless they make a boat with better fit and finish and performs as well for around close to the same price or less

The more I think about it, the more I think it was absolutely brilliant to redesign the G.

Why the hell not? Now, you have everyone wanting the new and improved G plus all the G owners wanting an upgrade

And companies like Tige, MC and Malibu that are trying to catch up to the G are just falling farther behind.

Well done CC.

I agree with tn rider, Bu is missing a piece in thier offering. The big surf oriented boats are doing very well. Bu does not have an offering in this category. Bu is too focused on maintaining a 3 discipline offering. They offer response for ski community, Why not a surf specific offering, one that would wakeboard well also, but don't even bother evaluating ski wake.

5omething out of the box with 3000~3500 lbs of ballast BEFORE PNP and wedge does not count. I love the wedge, but it is not a replacement for displacement. A boat that weighs in dry at 6k, a total BEAST!

I agree with tn rider, Bu is missing a piece in thier offering. The big surf oriented boats are doing very well. Bu does not have an offering in this category. Bu is too focused on maintaining a 3 discipline offering. They offer response for ski community, Why not a surf specific offering, one that would wakeboard well also, but don't even bother evaluating ski wake.

5omething out of the box with 3000~3500 lbs of ballast BEFORE PNP and wedge does not count. I love the wedge, but it is not a replacement for displacement. A boat that weighs in dry at 6k, a total BEAST!

I agree they need a big surf oriented boat, but I think that's what they are hoping the 25 will be. The G series aren't surf oriented boats, they surf well, but their greatness is in their wakeboard wakes. MC went surf oriented, and they do well, but aren't competition for the G series. Surf system wake wise the 23lsv is as good as any out there. Listed is going to fade into the sunset over time