Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 MXZ coming?

DarkSide

Just speculating, but this would make sense. We learned 4 boats coming in 2016, 3 Malibu 1 Axis. So far we have...

25 LSV and 20 VTX. If you look at the web page it looks as though they are prepping for 23 MXZ as well. 4 standard bow boats 20', 22' 23' 25', then 3 MXZ's 20' 22' 24' 5" so the "sweet spot" of 23' is missing in the MXZ line.

A MXZ refresh is also due, so unveiling a new monster 23' surf monster to compete with X23 and G23 would be a great fit.

Again in full disclosure i know nothing! Just speculating...

Thoughts?

4 sizes of mxz? Maybe a regional thing but I have seen like 3 mxz total in the wild.

I know of 8 24 MXZ sold in the last 6 month's here. I have no idea how many 22, but definitely less than 24's, abd i have never seen a 20' VTX or MXZ

I see quite a few MXZ's out on the delta , they out number standard bow style sightings based on my experience, (factoring out older model Bu's)

still crossing my fingers for a New Hull Beast , if the put the cooler in the floor my wife would be sold. (the cooler seat is always the most popular seat in out boat for some reason)

• Like 3

I feel that the next model will be the beast, not a 23MXZ. I do think there's a market for it.

I would think there is, based on 22 VLX and now 25 LSV, if you took the 23 out, people would say there is a hole in the product line. Same in MXZ you have a 22, and 24' 5" there is a gap where the 23 should be.

The 23 could be the beast you are looking for. The MXZ is now the most outdated in the lineup, so a change is due.

Edited by DarkSide

I honestly don't think the 25 LSV will surf that well unless its got about 4500 lbs of ballast. It's too big

If Malibu really wants to compete with the X23 and the G23 in the surf game, they need a 23 foot beast.

It's not really necessary but it would be cool to see. They will do fine without it

Edited by DocPhil

You nailed it doc. My 24 MXZ is the same way. It needs a couple tons of ballast, literally. I think Malibu realizes that though, the 25 has an extra bit of hard tank. 1850 vs 1450. Also pnp is 750's vs 550's... Plus those rear trunks are huge 1200 bags in there easy! Add a touch of bow weight and BooYa!!! Then you still have storage for days in the coffins.

I think were looking for a BEAST so bad as f150 won't pull it!

Edited by DarkSide

The funny thing is i also heard Nautique is getting ready to significantly up thier offering. Allowing 550 to have 2:1 tranny and 17x17 prop.

The person told me they have almost 1000 hours on a 25 in this config running 10k of ballast. Maybe a load of crap, but having the 550, i believe with a 2:1 and 17x17 10k seams very feasible.

I also do find it funny that we believe the market leader (malibu) needs a G Killer. I would think in reality Nautique should be looking for an LSV killer, based on sales.

The G is AWESOME no doubt. I would absolutely love to see BU take a couple features from the G. However at the end of the day, when looking at entire package BU wins. In my opinion.

Malibu's dash is not just the best out there right now, second place is a long ways back.

The G4 tower is also my favorite tower on the market. Ability to have 4 racks is critical to me.

The G wins in out of the box, strait from the factory performance. I like the center cooler, moving batteries to the back by the engine also great, easy access to ballast pumps, etc. Nautique does some things very well. However so does BU!

The G is the new "cool thing"...sorry mastercraft and I'm sure it boosted sales for them tremendously cause they took a ton of potential mastercraft buyers. Being on top of sales, I know malibu doesn't need it, but if malibu can come out with something "cooler," they'll certainly make a profit from it. Just hope they don't fail like Tige did...

The funny thing is i also heard Nautique is getting ready to significantly up thier offering. Allowing 550 to have 2:1 tranny and 17x17 prop.

The person told me they have almost 1000 hours on a 25 in this config running 10k of ballast. Maybe a load of crap, but having the 550, i believe with a 2:1 and 17x17 10k seams very feasible.

I thought the one of the best selling features of the G was the amount of sub floor ballast. Running 10k would defeat that for sure. Personally I'm tired of bags everywhere and would by a g23 for the storage if my budget was 120k or so...

I thought the one of the best selling features of the G was the amount of sub floor ballast. Running 10k would defeat that for sure. Personally I'm tired of bags everywhere and would by a g23 for the storage if my budget was 120k or so...

I agree. Bags are tiresome. The G4 tower is the lowest folding tower out there--by far the best tower period. Malibu has also taken control of building their trailers. A killer boat lineup would be a G-like freeboard boat with now more PNP or bow sacks necessary and still fits under a standard 8ft garage door. I think Malibu has assembled the pieces capable of delivering such a boat. We know such a boat would sell very well, I think they could build it with the G4 tower and their in-house trailer shop. Why wouldn't they do it?

Why did Malibu switch to hydraulic surf gat actuators? I hadn't heard of any issues with the fast operating Lenco gates. Only the power wedge had issues when the dual Lenco actuators got out of sync. Are hydraulic actuators capable of carrying greater loads for a larger gate? Say a larger gate of a G-killer???

No one has explained the benefit of this change...

The more I use my 20 MXZ, the more I like it. I did think the X20 I tested with Gen 2 had a slightly better surf wave, but all of the other ergonomic features of the inside of the boat are better on the MXZ, with the possible exception of the gull-wing opening observers seat on the X20, I like that.

I emailed Wake Makers asking about possible larger rear plug and play bags in my boat (now 550's), they responded and said they are coming our with a 700 pound bag for the rear lockers of the Malibu plug and play system. I will get those.

A deeper, more floor ballast MXZ line would be cool.

The G4 tower is the lowest folding tower out there--by far the best tower period.

The looks of the tower have grown on me and it seems to function very well. However, "the best tower period" is highly subjective.

Anything that folds forward is not the best tower for ME. Living on the lake and owning a lift changes the game significantly. I like to keep my canopy lower so I can tuck the boat in high and tight. Driving onto a lift with a forward facing tower can be done (I did it with both the MXZ and the LSV) but NOT having to do that is far superior for me and my purposes.

While the ZFT4's looks are subjective, the ability to rear fold with only one person plus the location of the speakers makes it the best tower I have experienced. You can crank the towers and still hold a conversation in the boat. The swivel clamping racks are also top notch. I have really found nothing I don't like about the tower.

To each his own (and for some the G4 might be the best) but I would consider the G4 a downgrade from what I have now.

Edited by DocPhil

I honestly don't think the 25 LSV will surf that well unless its got about 4500 lbs of ballast. It's too big

If Malibu really wants to compete with the X23 and the G23 in the surf game, they need a 23 foot beast.

It's not really necessary but it would be cool to see. They will do fine without it

Surfed it. Very impressive. Every surfer in the boat was saying the same thing. Haven't seen a boat or wake like this. Boat was running with stock ballast and 2 x 500 in the rear.

Surfed it. Very impressive. Every surfer in the boat was saying the same thing. Haven't seen a boat or wake like this. Boat was running with stock ballast and 2 x 500 in the rear.

I will have to take your word for it until I get some time in one (or if I do).

Can I ask what the stock ballast is? Also, 500s in the rear like plug and play? Or in addition? How many people in the boat?

Maybe the surfgates are just the size of barn doors on this one? ;)

Edited by DocPhil