Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Wakesetter VTX

saxton15

I like the new look but if it goes backwards in the ski wake it doesn't matter what it can do in the wake/ surf market there are many better. As a crossover it was king, lets hope it stays that way

I like the new updates a lot. I wonder if the cut out in the back will make changing an impeller a bigger pain in the arse. As others have said hopefully it still skis well. Also wonder what this new model will cost.

Local dealer is supposed to get one in the next week or 2. Might have to stop by and see what it looks like in person. Hard to tell if it is the pink making that boat look tubby or if it is actually a lot taller.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

From the video, he is at a short rope length, just missing the roll-over of the wake. It will be interesting to see what the wake looks like at 60 -75 rope length.

He was at 32 off. I think we can all say we are interested to see the wake at 15 and 22 off.

While we're in speculation mode...

The T-Cut Diamond hull is Malibu's slowest hull. It achieves good slalom wakes by displacing a lot of water, but shaping it nicely as it does. This has hurt top end performance though, with the TXi being the slowest Malibu AWSA-approved towboat in a generation.

So, if the new VTX is designed to do it all but it has a less efficient hull than before, how is it propped? What's top end (i.e. can a big guy barefoot)? And what's RPM like at 36 MPH for slalom?

Either this boat is 17' long or it's definitely taller than the old VTX. Lol

Screenshot_2015-08-14-12-22-06_zps0nlvx8

This boat and big rims remind me of a car in my hometown. Its a old school caprice with 30' rims and pink flake with "dora the explorer" graphics all over it. Not my cup of tea but Im sure itll sell quick if it hasnt already.

I'm hearing the 16's don't ski in both the VLX or VTX so really looking forward to some posts of guys actually trying. Also, Indmar has gone from GM to FORD so the 6.2 is a Ford powertrain....

Well, after crawling around in one at the Malibu Open, I'll say it has to be a great surf and wake boat, but the thing is HUGE. I can't see how it's slalom wakes are going to be anything but 'meh'. If it's as good as the marketing suggests, Malibu has figured out how to bend the laws of fluid dynamics...

It's really nice though. Fit and finish seems much better than new models from years past (original VTX comes to mind).

Still, my favorite boat was the Response LXR.

• Like 2

just stumbled across this thread. I am looking forward to hear how the boat skis. I assumed from the Malibu advertising that the 2016 would ski better than the previous generations. Great looking boat though!

• 2 weeks later...

Like many have commented I think the ski wake is what's key and the Extent its stayed intact Suggest that's all you need to test to come to a verdict as the other features tick all the boxes. Be really interested to understand what first users think it's like at 15 and 22 off and how it compares to last models ski wake when someone get behind one.

I went out in one last night. Awesome boat. Love how the redesigned the interior. Felt spacious for a 20' boat.

I did not get to ski it because of how much traffic but we found calm water for a second to get to 36mph. Didn't look at any of the other speeds. I hope to demo it more in depth soon. The wake is very flat and slightly flatter with the bow ballast full. The rooster tail is interesting looking though and it the wake for skiing will solely determine on how soft it is. Here is a picture of 36mph with three guys in the boat about 600ish pounds and bow ballast full. I think it has potential to be ask good as the previous model.

image_49.jpg

• Like 2

Always hard to tell from a picture, but that looks like a pretty good sized trough. Be interesting to see a rope hanging out there at 60ft to see where it winds up.

If it does actually ski ok then they still have the issue that it won't fit in most garages any more.

Edited by oldjeep

I actually thought the trough looked better than the previous model, but I haven't put that picture side-by-side to a snip of the video's I posted in the other thread. Hopefully I get to ski it this or next weekend. Plan on taking it through the course too.

I actually thought the trough looked better than the previous model, but I haven't put that picture side-by-side to a snip of the video's I posted in the other thread. Hopefully I get to ski it this or next weekend. Plan on taking it through the course too.

Can't wait to hear your impressions and see some vid/photos!

Surf wave looks promising as well... Same guys in the boat, stock MLS and 800's in the back. 10.6mph wedge almost at max (was the preset). Needs some tweaking but looked good. Was running about 3700rpm's but we have no idea what prop is on it. They took delivery of it the day before and put it in the water.

image2_1.jpg

image3.jpg

Surf wave looks promising as well... Same guys in the boat, stock MLS and 800's in the back. 10.6mph wedge almost at max (was the preset). Needs some tweaking but looked good. Was running about 3700rpm's but we have no idea what prop is on it. They took delivery of it the day before and put it in the water.

3700rpm at 10.6 MPH? Holy crap, my VTX is doing 37MPH at that RPM. (Okay I realize that the boat is plowing like a battleship and the prop is probably slipping like crazy)

And so much for the 10 hour break in ;)