Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Wakesetter VTX

saxton15

And those trailer height numbers are factored with 14" wheels.

It looks like a fantastic boat, if it actually lives up to the claims, but I can't see how a 3,500 lb boat can have "un compromised" ski wakes. And the spray! It obscures the view of the boat from the side in the video.

Edited by Porkfight

I don't understand why they would offer the 350 in the 22VLX but not in the VTX anymore...

I think the 350 has officially been put to rest. Any Malibu will come min with Monsoon 400 (Raptor - or whatever they are calling it).

I think the 350 has officially been put to rest. Any Malibu will come min with Monsoon 400 (Raptor - or whatever they are calling it).

Bingo... the 350 is dead in 2016. So even the little VTX will be rocking a 6.2L engine. Supra, Moomba, MB, etc. call this the Raptor 400. Malibu is marketing it as the Monsoon 410. It seems that by replaceing the "Raptor" badge with a "Monsoon" badge gets you 10 extra horsepower!

:ford:

Bingo... the 350 is dead in 2016. So even the little VTX will be rocking a 6.2L engine. Supra, Moomba, MB, etc. call this the Raptor 400. Malibu is marketing it as the Monsoon 410. It seems that by replaceing the "Raptor" badge with a "Monsoon" badge gets you 10 extra horsepower!

:ford:

I thought the 400/410 were supposed to be ft lbs rather than HP?

And those trailer height numbers are factored with 14" wheels.

It looks like a fantastic boat, if it actually lives up to the claims, but I can't see how a 3,500 lb boat can have "un compromised" ski wakes. And the spray! It obscures the view of the boat from the side in the video.

I have no idea if this is true or even possible but I started thinking about the new power wedge II. Could they use this in the opposite way of the other wake boats who want a large wake? I mean if they are using it to get out of the hole while loaded with ballast, could it be used at slalom speeds in that setting to make a smaller wake for skiing? Just a thought...

Edited by ac88926

I've not been on a newer VLX, but my experience with most boats is that it doesn't take THAT much to get the platform that sunk... Especially if you're light on bow weight. I lean on thecrew for the details on the newer boats, though.

It's funny becuase on my A20, for wakeboarding the water is usually AT LEAST ankle deep on the platform.

Holy cup holders and cabin speakers! Where did they get all that room in this 20 footer… Is that driver’s seat new for all the 2016 boats?

I’m mixed on the lowered rear seating. I’ve always thought it was one big step from the sunpad to the swim platform on my VTX (especially lugging a 50 pound foil). I think it was the 22MXZ I looked at and thought that kick down really affected engine serviceability.

Can only imagine what the new price will be…

My dealer said they have more freeboard, and he thought they'd surf quite a bit better, and maybe not ski quite as well. Hard to tell from the video, those guys can rip a ski and make just about any wake look good. New dash looks nice too!

If they favored surfing over skiing, then let the legend of the pre-16 VTX begin. "if you really want to ski then look for the classic VTX - '15 or older. Those were the best skiing Vdrives"

I've not been on a newer VLX, but my experience with most boats is that it doesn't take THAT much to get the platform that sunk... Especially if you're light on bow weight. I lean on thecrew for the details on the newer boats, though.

It's funny becuase on my A20, for wakeboarding the water is usually AT LEAST ankle deep on the platform.

I own one, and used to own an A22. Like you, my Axis's platform got well underwater. But unlike the Axis, the VLX's does not. I posted earlier, full factory, 1100 in P&P, and a crew weighing another 1100 did not get it under water.

2014 the platforms went way up to accomodate surf gate. Fully loaded for surfing mine is just above the surface. (750's in the rear)

Edited by Raimie

I own one, and used to own an A22. Like you, my Axis's platform got well underwater. But unlike the Axis, the VLX's does not. I posted earlier, full factory, 1100 in P&P, and a crew weighing another 1100 did not get it under water.

Here's my '15 LSV (very simily to a '15 VLX) with 4,500 in water ballast. Note the location of the platform.

20150618_104145_zps4b8tzigi.jpg

martinarcher

I have no idea if this is true or even possible but I started thinking about the new power wedge II. Could they use this in the opposite way of the other wake boats who want a large wake? I mean if they are using it to get out of the hole while loaded with ballast, could it be used at slalom speeds in that setting to make a smaller wake for skiing? Just a thought...

That's what the PW II does in "lift mode". We have a couple members who have skied the 15' VTX's and reviews the wake being significantly better with the PW II in lift mode than not running it at all.

I think how far the platform is in the water is pending what you have for bow weight. I have a 15 vlx and run full stock ballast with approx. 1600lbs pnp in rear locker - this puts my platform about 1 inch under water.

That's what the PW II does in "lift mode". We have a couple members who have skied the 15' VTX's and reviews the wake being significantly better with the PW II in lift mode than not running it at all.

I don't think this is possible unless you override the computer or ski below 24mph. The `lift' option was only meant to help get boat out of the hole for wakeboarding. You would get overspeed warnings and not be able to get up to ski speeds.

I don't understand why they would offer the 350 in the 22VLX but not in the VTX anymore...

350 was still base engine for 2015 year in which the 22 vlx was launched. All 2016 22vlx have the same base 400 raptor as the new vtx.

martinarcher

I don't think this is possible unless you override the computer or ski below 24mph. The `lift' option was only meant to help get boat out of the hole for wakeboarding. You would get overspeed warnings and not be able to get up to ski speeds.

I haven't seen that info from Malibu directly but a couple posts I've read state exactly that. Does the VTX operate differently? I know the PW II has a position sensor which would allow Malibu to ensure it is positioned properly at slalom speed as to not create down force (and instead lift). Hopefully a dealer will chime in and clear it up!!

Here's the thread I was referring to...

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51141-power-wedge-2/

Post #32 and #66 (picture of wake).

I haven't seen that info from Malibu directly but a couple posts I've read state exactly that. Does the VTX operate differently? I know the PW II has a position sensor which would allow Malibu to ensure it is positioned properly at slalom speed as to not create down force (and instead lift). Hopefully a dealer will chime in and clear it up!!

Here's the thread I was referring to...

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51141-power-wedge-2/

Post #32 and #66 (picture of wake).

I can't speak for the VTX, but on my LSV there is no way this is possible for the reasons stated above. The wedge is not designed to be used at ski speeds, and you will get crazy warning pop ups and alarms if you go over 26 mph with it down.

Furthermore, I can't imagine it would help the ski wake even if you could do it. It's still a huge piece of steel dragging behind the boat... regardless of the setting I'd think that would wreak havoc on the ski wake.

Fwiw, I've heard wizard isn't ordering any '16 VTXs for the floor because Malibu butchered the ski wake with the redesign.

Yay!! I'm going to be boat shopping for a 17 VLX (hopefully); the best news I could get is that the new VTX has a crappy ski wake :) Sorry skiers, but keeping that resale high is what I'm all about! I'll have a deal for you next year on a unicorn VTX in showroom condition!

What I see here is some good stuff and some bad stuff. That increase in height would be an issue for me at my current storage location, so I bet I'm not the only one... BUT, a few more inches would be great when it comes to surfing. My boat needs bow weight, but the nose rides uncomfortably low with an extra 400lbs; makes it hard to be comfortable with a novice driver.

The rear seats are cool looking, but it appears that they may have taken a few inches out of the interior for that (based on the cooler cushion looking a bit smaller). I'd, for sure, give up that seat if that's the case. I find 8 adults is the max, 6 if you aren't a group of close friends, in my boat. Hard to tell in pictures, but it looks like it to me. Any less interior space is a bummer.

I'm a big fan of the new dash. The last dash kind of sucks; no depth, rpm, etc when on cruise screen.

Anyway, we all got opinions! I look forward to seeing one just for kicks.