Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Wakesetter VTX

saxton15

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, River Monsters said:

I believe the '08 is the only VTX to be approved for tournament use.  Really the '08 is the boat everyone should want.

Well, that is a bit miss-leading because the diamond hull has been the same from 07-15. It was only tested to become tournament approved in 08.

• Like 3
On February 21, 2016 at 0:37 PM, ahopkinsTXi said:

Well, that is a bit miss-leading because the diamond hull has been the same from 07-15. It was only tested to become tournament approved in 08.

Trust me, I'm in sales.

Edited by River Monsters
  • 1 month later...

Anybody have any feed back on how the 2016 VTX skis? Really like the look of the new VTX, had a good look at the boat show and was super impressed. Feels like they stepped up on the finish of the boat. 

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I'll tell you hopefully within 48 hours.

Do you have a demo scheduled?  Or did you buy one...?? :biggrin:

It just occurred to me that I don't think anybody from TMC has bought one yet.  

26 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I have one and absolutely love it.  Im am biased.  I have never owned a malibu before and have only ever skied behind outboard engine boats.  I tested a sport 200 and the malibu.  The sport 200 is better to ski behind but i think it lacks in the two other sports.  We are purely recreational skiers, surfers and wakeboarders.  For what we want the 2016 vtx is great! 

3 hours ago, IXFE said:

one of the aussies has one and posted a pretty long review of it. Ski wake was worse than previous vtx.

Edited by oldjeep
5 hours ago, IXFE said:

I demo'd a while back.  Mine arrives today. :yahoo:

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

one of the aussies has one and posted a pretty long review of it. Ski wake was worse than previous vtx.

I used to have an "old" VTX.  I'll give a report of course.  As with any ski boat, line and speed make apples to apples comparisons difficult.  OF course, I'm also one who disgarees that front ballast improves the wake of the old VTX and have other odd preferences with DD boats.  I do recall some lengthy reports with opinions on wake, but not a direct comparison of people with actual experience.  I recall UW's thoughts on the look of the spray and opinions on the appearance of the wake like ahopkins, but not direct ski comparison.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
ahopkins22LSV

@85 Barefoot I am thoroughly looking forward to the review! Yes, when I rode in the boat the wake looked pretty decent. Also, when I ski a 15 VTX I feel the front ballast makes the wake nicer, but like you said it is a lot of personal preference plus adding in the factors of speed line length and skier. How about you run some 34&36 15-28 offs though. :biggrin:

27 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

@85 Barefoot I am thoroughly looking forward to the review! Yes, when I rode in the boat the wake looked pretty decent. Also, when I ski a 15 VTX I feel the front ballast makes the wake nicer, but like you said it is a lot of personal preference plus adding in the factors of speed line length and skier. How about you run some 34&36 15-28 offs though. :biggrin:

I'd love to....unfortunately I've skied twice in the last 8 months...For first time I think I'll be at 32 just to get some strength back!  But I'll run a little at 34 and 6 and see how it is.  I used to have a 2013 I ran in the course pretty regularly at 34 at 22-28 mostly.  Considering a grew up with a barefoot nautique, a VTX is butter, no matter what era.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I demo'd a while back.  Mine arrives today. :yahoo:

I used to have an "old" VTX.  I'll give a report of course.  As with any ski boat, line and speed make apples to apples comparisons difficult.  OF course, I'm also one who disgarees that front ballast improves the wake of the old VTX and have other odd preferences with DD boats.  I do recall some lengthy reports with opinions on wake, but not a direct comparison of people with actual experience.  I recall UW's thoughts on the look of the spray and opinions on the appearance of the wake like ahopkins, but not direct ski comparison.

I go back and forth with front ballast vs none.  When I was out last weekend I forgot to fill mine and while the wake looked big in the middle it was really just mush that didn't impact my crossing the wake.  I'm not convinced now that on my boat with my normal load of people in the boat that it makes a difference.  I only ski at 32mph @15 off from the rear pylon on my boat (no center pylon)

Congrats on the new boat.  Lady/organization that I bought mine from just took delivery of a 2016 VTX last week but hadn't skied it yet.

Edited by oldjeep
3 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I'd love to....unfortunately I've skied twice in the last 8 months...For first time I think I'll be at 32 just to get some strength back!  But I'll run a little at 34 and 6 and see how it is.  I used to have a 2013 I ran in the course pretty regularly at 34 at 22-28 mostly.  Considering a grew up with a barefoot nautique, a VTX is butter, no matter what era.

yay! someone used the term "butter" properly.

so the fords get broken in the same was as the chevys?  Anyone else find that odd?  I also love how the RPM and hour recommendations haven't changed in 20 years.  Don't fill up any ballast but DO stay under 2000 rpms when the boat is not planed and is at maximum "push"?

Just now, 85 Barefoot said:

so the fords get broken in the same was as the chevys?  Anyone else find that odd?  I also love how the RPM and hour recommendations haven't changed in 20 years.  Don't fill up any ballast but DO stay under 2000 rpms when the boat is not planed and is at maximum "push"?

Meh, pretty sure they still drop them in the water at the factory and run the hell out of them.  Only break in I ever do on engines in anything is to make sure to vary the RPM and change the oil early the first time.