Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Wakesetter VTX

saxton15

I have a hard time believing malibu would release the new vtx with a less desirable slalom wake than a 2015. Has anyone here actually skied behind a 2016 vtx yet? That guy on the video looks like he is shredding it with no issues going across the wake. Much better than my vlx which is not a great slalom tow.

• Like 1

The rope won't start touching the tower until 32' off. So for most looking to buy a vtx for the crossover capabilities that won't be an issue I would think.

aHopkins is spot on. 15,22,28off there is no contact with the tower. 32off is more like 32.25off.... 35off more like 35.5off......shorter the rope gets the more it wraps on the tower.

as if chasing buoys isn't hard it enough as it is for us average folks....this just takes it up another notch ;)

I have a hard time believing malibu would release the new vtx with a less desirable slalom wake than a 2015.

One would hope that is true.

That guy on the video looks like he is shredding it with no issues going across the wake. Much better than my vlx which is not a great slalom tow.

That guy is Thomas Degasperi, one of the top men's pro skiers in the world. Probably running 36mph (per his usual) and at the exact line length to cut through the rooster tail/wake convergence. The true test will be 28-32mph at longer line lengths for the intermediate skiers that will actually use this boat.

That said I hope it's awesome so I can buy one in 10 years!

• Like 2

Wow, just noticed the trailer specs. They really screwed the pooch on the 2016, won't fit in a standard garage even with the hoop off (or garage clearance hoop). 7" higher than the previous models. If accurate, a 20ft garage boat that won't fit in almost anyone's garage.

Trailer Specs for a 2016

Height on trailer tower folded, no tow hoop, no racks: 7'-3"

Height on trailer tower folded: 7'-8"

LOA, tongue folded, swim off, w/power wedge down: 21'-1"

LOA, tongue folded, swim off, w/power wedge up: 21'-3"

LOA, tongue folded, swim on: 22'-4"

Total width of Trailer, without guide poles: 8'-5"

Total width of Trailer, w/guide poles: 8'-10"

Previous versions ( - 2015)

Wakesetter 20 VTX - Trailer Specs

Height on trailer tower folded, no tow hoop, no racks 6'-8"

Height on trailer tower folded 7'-1"

LOA, tongue folded, swim off, w/manual wedge down 21'-3"

LOA, tongue folded, swim off, w/power wedge down 21'-8"

LOA, tongue folded, swim off, w/power wedge up 21'10"

LOA, tongue folded, swim on 23'-0"

Total width of Trailer, without guide poles 8'-5"

Total width of Trailer, w/guide poles 8'-10"

And....now you know who is building the trailers, right? Lots of ground clearance....

And....now you know who is building the trailers, right? Lots of ground clearance....

So you are saying that the boat didn't get any taller, just a crappy trailer design? If that is the case then it'll be interesting to see what trailers the VTX's at my local dealer show up on, they seem to sell a lot of them and I gotta believe that most are like mine and sit inside a garage.

martinarcher

Peter, any truth to the PW II and the rumored "lift" mode to lift the transom a bit while skiing to provide a better ski wake?

Peter, any truth to the PW II and the rumored "lift" mode to lift the transom a bit while skiing to provide a better ski wake?

At least on my VLX, if you go above 26 mph in lift mode, HAL 9000 start going crazy and beeping at you. So, you'd have to ski sort of slow...

Edited by Cory

At least on my VLX, if you go above 26 mph in lift mode, HAL 9000 start going crazy and beeping at you. So, you'd have to ski sort of slow...

FWIW, there is someone using it while skiing. Reads like he hits the X on the warning, and carries on:

Read Tanglin's post.

I think skiing at those speeds above 26 mph with the wedge in lift mode is possible and probably does no harm to the boat by doing it. The problem is likely if there is ever an issue that causes the wedge to move out of lift mode at those speeds, it could be disastrous on the transom. Imagine cruising along at 32 mph with the wedge in lift mode, all the sudden something goes crazy with the electronics or you hit a submerged log and the wedge goes back. All that force on the foil going at that speed would probably cause some serious damage. I'd assume this is probably a risk Malibu doesn't want to take and that's why they have the warning at 26 mph.

ahopkins22LSV

Yes it will have higher freeboard from what I understand.

As to the PWII in lift mode for skiing, I still stand by my statement in the other thread that it would be awesome, but it sounds like there is just one or two people doing it (the post here) and I'm still not that confident in it.

I think skiing at those speeds above 26 mph with the wedge in lift mode is possible and probably does no harm to the boat by doing it. The problem is likely if there is ever an issue that causes the wedge to move out of lift mode at those speeds, it could be disastrous on the transom. Imagine cruising along at 32 mph with the wedge in lift mode, all the sudden something goes crazy with the electronics or you hit a submerged log and the wedge goes back. All that force on the foil going at that speed would probably cause some serious damage. I'd assume this is probably a risk Malibu doesn't want to take and that's why they have the warning at 26 mph.

Doesn't it prevent moving at some speed? And doesn't it automatically move from lift to drag up to about 26 or so? I'm not sure how much more force would be on it at 32 or so than 26. If like air, drag increases squared with speed, it would be a 50% increase in drag......which I suppose is pretty significant. But on the log, I can't really imagine a situation that isn't well beyond extraordinary where it would happen. It would have to clear the prop and rudder first, then it would somehow have to hit the upper portion of the foil to force it down, otherwise, it would just be deflected down due to the foil's position.

As for me personally, I do not think it would cause any harm, but I'd like to get some "off the record" feedback from the proper person/people at Malibu there.

In the owner's manual, it looks like you can still have the VTX with the 350hp engine

http://www.malibuboats.com/assets/files/owner_manuals/2016%20Malibu%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

And VLX as well.

So website or manual is correct ?

Manual has not been fully updated. As said before, 350 is no longer an option. Base motor is 410 indmar. Just received pricing sheets from my dealer and they confirm.