Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Alternator bolt Sheard

Start my day off with an engine error...it showed a a misfire in cylinder number 8 again. After a quick inspection on the water, we could see a lot of water in the bilge. We were able to limp back to the slip. While trying to get the water out of the bilge, the alternator was leaning. A closer inspection of the alternator we observed a bolt was halfway out and broken. There was a second bolt that was holding the alternator in was tightened up.

I believe all the water that was in the bilge was caused from a rain storm two nights previous. I think the water might have caused the error because after it was drained and some running around, the error cleared itself.

Luckily I had someone on the boat that was mechanically inclined and was able to save the day. We had a day full of surfing and fun. The only item left is to remove the broken bolt and install a new one. I just hope that the broken piece of bolt will come out easily as I don't want to make a four hour trip to the dealer.

Shouldn't be a big deal to remove and replace that bolt. It happened to me on an older Sunsetter. I was able to get it out with an easy out and then cleaned the threads with a tap and I was good to go. Took about 15 minutes and the boat was 17 years old at the time.

ahopkins22LSV

Shouldn't be a big deal to remove and replace that bolt. It happened to me on an older Sunsetter. I was able to get it out with an easy out and then cleaned the threads with a tap and I was good to go. Took about 15 minutes and the boat was 17 years old at the time.

:plus1:

Happened on my dads 98 outback which has the Indmar 5.7 carb in it. Sure was a scare on vacation three ish years ago though!

If you have the bolt size and threading needed, can you send it to me please? My boat is still at the marina and I forgot to grab the bolt to find a replacement with.

I spoke with Gary at Marine Power and he is sending me a new bolt. He advised that the bolt he is sending is much stronger than the previous bolt as my engine has a lot of torque. Marine Power was easy to work with!

Grade 8 bolts?

Yes, Marine Power said that Malibu wanted the grade 9 bolt for aesthetics. He advised these bolts are breaking with all of the power from the engine. Once they go to the grade 8 bolt they haven't had that problem.

I probably wrote it wrong, he was speaking about the torque put on the belts from quick acceleration of the engines. I am no mechanic, so I'm only probably getting half of what he said correct.

Yes, Marine Power said that Malibu wanted the grade 9 bolt for aesthetics. He advised these bolts are breaking with all of the power from the engine. Once they go to the grade 8 bolt they haven't had that problem.

Grade 9? Maybe grade 5 or 2 ;)

• Like 1

I spoke with Gary at Marine Power and he is sending me a new bolt. He advised that the bolt he is sending is much stronger than the previous bolt as my engine has a lot of torque. Marine Power was easy to work with!

I ask him to send all the bolts holding the thing to the engine and replace them all at once.

I'm thinking you were fed a line of BS.......

Exactly the same thing happened to my alternator on my '01 Sunsetter VLX this summer. It was a Grade 5 bolt that sheared. Had to drill down to get an easy-out on it. SLOW and precise is the key.

Exactly the same thing happened to my alternator on my '01 Sunsetter VLX this summer. It was a Grade 5 bolt that sheared. Had to drill down to get an easy-out on it. SLOW and precise is the key.

Oh great....just added another item to my "to do" list.

Mine broke on my ls3 also, I removed it by punching to Holea on the out edges of the bolt and using picks to spin it out.

I replaced mine with an equivalent ARP head bolt. It was a $15 bolt that I will never have to worry about again haha

• 2 weeks later...