Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does a 1991 Euro F3 Have Wood?

gordon20mxz

I have a desire to own a direct drive again as a second boat. I love my MXZ, but you can't slalom ski behind it. I don't want to spend a lot so I have been searching the internet for old classics strictly for skiing.

On the river where I boat there is a old Ski Supreme approximately in the 1985 range that has been sitting exposed to the weather, uncovered for a couple of years. It is probably a total disaster but I was thinking of knocking on the door of the house and asking about it and see if there want to sell it cheap, let me give it a home and take it on as a project boat. Might be an interesting experience for me and my son, but could also end up being a total nightmare. I have been researching replacing wood stringers and not sure I want to do that. I have never worked with fiberglass. Where I live I am not sure I have shops with in-board experience for engine work and wiring etc..

So then I was thinking that is might be better just getting something that runs. I am afraid of wooden stringers if I am going to buy something that runs because I don't want to accidently get into a renovation project.

So, any thoughts on a 1991 Euro F3. I found one I like this one because it already has a speed control installed and they did NOT put a tower on it. But after reading some old posts on this forum, I think this boat will have wooden stringers. Now, maybe if the boat was well cared for, that is not a problem, I don't know, that is why I am asking.

It's on Ski It Again. I would post the link, but for some reason the Malibu Crew website and my computer will not let me cut and paste to the forum posting section.

I did grab a screen shot because I can post pictures.

post-26767-0-53591700-1439207522_thumb.j

What speeds/length do you prefer? In the early 90s, the Prostar 190 had about the best wakes you could get. My buddy's '91 Nautique is pretty dang nice also though it does have the trademark 22' rooster Nautique is known for (all boats have it, theirs is just more pronounced historically).

And only in 1 model, the Echelon. All Skiers were made with wood, as were all Sunsetters prior to 1995. (The Euro F3 moniker on either makes no difference.)

i own a 93 Sunsetter euro f3 and it has a fiberglass floor and stringers. The base of the seats are wood, but the important stuff (stringers and floor) are fiberglass. Levi is correct... 93 and after malibu's had fiberglass.

i own a 93 Sunsetter euro f3 and it has a fiberglass floor and stringers. The base of the seats are wood, but the important stuff (stringers and floor) are fiberglass. Levi is correct... 93 and after malibu's had fiberglass.

james,

Thank you for the confirmation. I know the 1993 threshold now.

That's not normal. I've heard of this on occasion, but in general that boat would have been mostly wood from the factory. Your boat is the exception, not the rule.

• 1 year later...

As i posted in another thread, I have in my possession an original Malibu brochure from 1994 with the entire product line and specifications. Specs for F3 Skier and Sunsetter state composite stringers, fiberglass floor, and Fibecs motor mount system. My '93 has no wood except seat bases.

I had a 92 Euro F3, Malibu brought out the FIBECS CHASSIS in 92 on the Euro F3, so i'm thinking 91 would still have

wood stringers. 

Edited by Dare2goBare
  • 3 years later...
On 8/20/2016 at 12:11 AM, Dare2goBare said:

I had a 92 Euro F3, Malibu brought out the FIBECS CHASSIS in 92 on the Euro F3, so i'm thinking 91 would still have

wood stringers. 

Hey, so this question comes 3 years after your post, but I've got a '92 Mystere with the EuroF3 badge...after 21 years of ownership I just found my first little soft spot behind the clamshell, just beside the carpeted board covering the hatch over the rudder assembly.  So now I'm wondering about the stringers.  I've always had the idea that I had fiberglass under the carpeted marine plywood.  Do you happen to know?

• 2 weeks later...

I still own my 1992 Sunsetter Euro F 3 . I have a fiber glass floor and wooden stringers. 

The  wooden stringers are encapsulated in fiberglass and well sealed.

Prior to this I understand that the wooden floor was sealed with resin and fiber glassed into the hull. 

How can you tell if you have a fiberglass floor?

The rear bench seat sits on a fiberglass Platform and has two storage wells Right & left,  the middle section is cut out for access to the prop shaft. 

Also under the spotters seat is an ice chest, The drivers foot well is recess and has a drain hole in it and the drivers seat sits up on a fiberglass platform

This system was one piece and installed to strengthen the hull. there is no plywood involved in this process.

The Mystere was a great looking Boat, but discontinued sometime around the time when the Echelon arrived.  It may still of had the plywood floor in 1992. 

If your floor looks like this, then you have a fiberglass floor.

IMG_3197-001.JPG

Edited by Rack
added Picture
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Rack...I don't have those features in my floor on my Mystere...but I'm still hoping that my stringers are fiberglassed encased.  The only soft spots are on the floor on either side of the "hatch" to the transmission.  And its just a tiny bit.  So, I'm hoping stringers are sound and the remedy is spot repair rather than replace .

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2020 at 7:42 AM, cugrad90 said:

Thanks, Rack...I don't have those features in my floor on my Mystere...but I'm still hoping that my stringers are fiberglassed encased.  The only soft spots are on the floor on either side of the "hatch" to the transmission.  And its just a tiny bit.  So, I'm hoping stringers are sound and the remedy is spot repair rather than replace .

Cugrad90,    I found this out in my garage the other day, thought it might answer some question that are on this site. 

Notice in the comparison chart  they stated about the stringers being wood but totally encapsulated,

The fiber glass floor is only in the Euro F3 Skier and Sunsetter  in 1992. In1993 everything changed.

001.jpg

002.jpg

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the info Rack...just thought about this thread because I just got my boat back from the shop after getting floor repair and gelcoat restore.  

So, I had a little more rot than expected...fiberglass enclosed stringers, but marine plywood floors.  Replaced foam and wood from about the front of the clamshell to the back with marine ply and fiberglass.  Should be good for another 29 years!  $1800 for the floor, $1000 for the gelcoat.

If I knew how to post pics I would, doesn't look like I can just drag and drop.