Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What batteries to use

macdaddy

Oxdoc - what battery did you use for your stereo battery and what one did you use for your cranking battery? Nexpensive is right...but better than being stranded on the lake!!

Mac

I have 4 Diehard Platinum group 31 in my boat. Three are for the stereo and 1 is used for the cranking battery. I've had these batteries for 3 summers and all is good. 75lb per battery though. 1150 cold cranking amps and 100 amp hour battery. 3 year free replacement. Their AGM so they are maintenance free and you can position them any way that you want in the boat.

Edited by OxDoc

^^^ if you go AGM though, pretty sure you need to go AGM on all batteries. Especially if you are using the blue sea add a battery, since agm batts will hold a charge that is high enough to keep the acr closed (combined). IMHO AGM batteries are not ideal with the blue sea add-a-battery setup.

Personally, I've found that the walmart Group 29 MAXX batteries (stuffed into a Group 27 box) work just fine. And if the internet is to be believed, Johnson Controls makes 'em, just like the google machine says Johnson Controls makes interstate batteries. For me walmart is just more convenient because I can walk in there at all hours and just grab a battery off the rack, and their inventory is usually good.

I run, and have for years, Kinetik HC 1800's, When it is not in the water each battery is connected to a separate Battery CTek 7200 24/7 365

I have NEVER had any problems whatsoever

My stereo is on one battery and the rest of the boat is on the other

There are lots of good choices out there, this just happens to be mine....

post-15441-0-30818100-1439304771_thumb.j

post-15441-0-55445700-1439304877_thumb.j

^^^ if you go AGM though, pretty sure you need to go AGM on all batteries. Especially if you are using the blue sea add a battery, since agm batts will hold a charge that is high enough to keep the acr closed (combined). IMHO AGM batteries are not ideal with the blue sea add-a-battery setup.

Personally, I've found that the walmart Group 29 MAXX batteries (stuffed into a Group 27 box) work just fine. And if the internet is to be believed, Johnson Controls makes 'em, just like the google machine says Johnson Controls makes interstate batteries. For me walmart is just more convenient because I can walk in there at all hours and just grab a battery off the rack, and their inventory is usually good.

. Why are AGM batteries bad if your using all the same batteries?

It's not so much that they are bad, it's just that they can kinda defeat the relay in the add-a-battery kit. The relay combines at 13v and won't open till you drop to 12.75 for at least 30s. So even with key off, the relay can combine the batteries if they are holding a resting voltage of more than 12.8v.

That scenario is perfect for lead acid batteries but not necessarily agms which can hold a higher resting voltage is all.

Shawn are you saying that all 4 of my batteries are being drained no matter if I have my perko on 1 or 2? I didn't really understand all the technical stuff about relays.

I am gonna guess that his head unit is running off the fuse bus which from the factory is on the starting battery along with anything else that runs when the key is in the ACC position.

I once had a Yandina combiner have the leads melt and fuse together. All the wiring was hidden. Had me scratching my head for a long time until I pulled everything out and noticed the two leads were shorted together. Now I use the Blue Sea ACR. Much better quality.

Shawn are you saying that all 4 of my batteries are being drained no matter if I have my perko on 1 or 2? I didn't really understand all the technical stuff about relays.

If you have the factory 1-2-ALL-OFF switch, you are fine. My comments only apply to blue sea add-a-battery.

In the context of this thread, it seems the OP is looking to replace only the hose battery. not both.

Im ok with running an AGM house and wet cell main as they are not going to be combined in a permanent manor. Most AGM batteries have a static voltage thats only a little higher then a wet cell. Even with an ACR setup, i dont this being a huge issue.