Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 malibu sunsetter lxi, good first boat?

bryceander

I agree with jk. That tower would have to go. For me....for aesthetics.

I agree with jk. That tower would have to go. For me....for aesthetics.

LXi has rear locker as a top hatch/sun deck behind the seat, LX has rear locker in the back of the seat. LXi better for ski, LX better for wake sports. Both great boats and it's priced right for an LX before negotiation IMO. LXi should be closer to 20k.

But that tower kills it for me. Would have to pull that off immediately. Would also have to verify that the trailer is proper for the boat. ShoreLand'r did make some inboard trailers, but many more for non-inboards.

could i sell it? samson is like 15 minutes from me so that would work out to get a black tower. i agree with all of you all, silver looks terrible.

IMG_3185_zpspy7p9scv.jpg

I just bought my 1997 a couple months back. It has been a great first boat and I’ve learned a lot about boating since and have made my fair share of mistakes. I didn’t know how to wakeboard or wake surf until I bought my boat so it works fine for me since Im not use to the wakes the new boats throw. I have 3 400lb sacs that came with the boat and they help a lot with surfing.

Just to give you a comparison.. It had 415 hrs and the guy had just done the stereo last summer all wetsounds ( about $5,000) which was a big plus for me. It was listed for $13,500 and I picked it up for $10,500 which I feel like was a really good deal. I haven't had a ANY buyers remorse. I’ve been out at least once a week since then and love every minute. Sometimes I wish I would have sprung for a little more boat but its a lot easier to bump a dock or hit a stump (only happened once on lake conroe, F that lake!) knowing I spent 10k instead of 30+.

The interior looks SUPER clean and the new motor is a huge plus so I don’t think 16k is a bad price but Im sure you could get him down a bit (I would offer him 13k and see what he says). The tower doesn’t bother me and I don’t think you’ll get your money back on a new $1200+ tower when you goto sell it. I wish my boat was blue instead of maroon but theres no used boat factory so you get what you get. Good luck and I hope that helps.

• Like 1

IMG_3185_zpspy7p9scv.jpg

I just bought my 1997 a couple months back. It has been a great first boat and I’ve learned a lot about boating since and have made my fair share of mistakes. I didn’t know how to wakeboard or wake surf until I bought my boat so it works fine for me since Im not use to the wakes the new boats throw. I have 3 400lb sacs that came with the boat and they help a lot with surfing.

Just to give you a comparison.. It had 415 hrs and the guy had just done the stereo last summer all wetsounds ( about $5,000) which was a big plus for me. It was listed for $13,500 and I picked it up for $10,500 which I feel like was a really good deal. I haven't had a ANY buyers remorse. I’ve been out at least once a week since then and love every minute. Sometimes I wish I would have sprung for a little more boat but its a lot easier to bump a dock or hit a stump (only happened once on lake conroe, F that lake!) knowing I spent 10k instead of 30+.

The interior looks SUPER clean and the new motor is a huge plus so I don’t think 16k is a bad price but Im sure you could get him down a bit (I would offer him 13k and see what he says). The tower doesn’t bother me and I don’t think you’ll get your money back on a new $1200+ tower when you goto sell it. I wish my boat was blue instead of maroon but theres no used boat factory so you get what you get. Good luck and I hope that helps.

it does, thank you

I've spent a lot of time at that dock. I'll look for you next weekend.

I've got a black and white 2005 malibu

IMG_3185_zpspy7p9scv.jpg

Edited by RosscoB

rossco, I use to goto LBJ all the time but Ive been going to Medina lately. The water is so much calmer and clean and its only 30 mins from my house instead of 90mins.

I have owned two LX's and one LXi. I think they are the best bargain do it all boat out there. You can't go wrong, and yes, they are fairly east to sell. I have seen a lot of them, and I don't like the looks of the boat in that ad, especially for the price which is too high. A really nice late 90's LX should be 15k-20k depending on equipment, hours etc. I have seen many in more questionable shape that have sold for 10-12k.

I have owned two LX's and one LXi. I think they are the best bargain do it all boat out there. You can't go wrong, and yes, they are fairly east to sell. I have seen a lot of them, and I don't like the looks of the boat in that ad, especially for the price which is too high. A really nice late 90's LX should be 15k-20k depending on equipment, hours etc. I have seen many in more questionable shape that have sold for 10-12k.

Not trying to be rude but if a late 90's should go for 15-20 and the boat hes looking at has a new motor why would 16 be too high? I like the color scheme and the interior looks really clean from the photos. I dont think he should pay asking price but for 12-14k I think it would be a solid purchase.

Not trying to be rude but if a late 90's should go for 15-20 and the boat hes looking at has a new motor why would 16 be too high? I like the color scheme and the interior looks really clean from the photos. I dont think he should pay asking price but for 12-14k I think it would be a solid purchase.

Not rude at all, and I agree that 12-14 is a good range for that boat. One would really have to give it a good going over and talk to the owner to get some history and feel for their character. A new motor could be great, but I have seen some that are very questionable. Most likely it's not an Indmar or Mercruiser, so getting some info on warranty and reputation of engine builder. Most likely it's a rebuild, so the quality really depends on who did it. As mentioned earlier, the trailer looks suspect as well. Perhaps not an issue if the boat will live on a lift, but if it's going to spend a lot of time on the trailer and highway then... Cover? Prop? Steering cable etc. etc. And I would really prefer a Titan tower on those boats.

I'll back you up 100% on the trailer. I have a storage unit and trailer about 40 miles round trip to the lake. I had a hub shatter on me last week half way to the lake. After that experience i am so glad I have a tandem axel, I will never have a single axel trailer. While getting a new hub installed I had him repack and grease the other 3 wheels. So if you OP decide to purchase the boat make sure to get all the fluids changed, boat looked over as well as a tune up of the trailer. Preventative maintenance goes a long way, the last thing you want is to drag your boat down the interstate.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Just curious what tower is on your boat, i like it? It looks like the newer XTP tower, but am kind of hoping is an aftermarket tower that may be compatible with my LXI.

IMG_3185_zpspy7p9scv.jpg