Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 malibu sunsetter lxi, good first boat?

bryceander

hey guys, i have the opportunity to buy a 1999 malibu sunsetter lxi. it has a tower but thats all i know. it has 15 hours on a brand new engine. i learned to wakeboard on a good friends 99' malibu response, i loved it. anything helps, thanks.

^^ true comment

For reference with our family we usually have 5 kids and 3 adults on the boat without feeling that we need any extra room. Works well as no one is left on the shore, except for the cook getting the BBQ lunch ready

Without stating your typical crew size, tow vehicle, budget, typical water conditions and water sports of choice, we can't actually give any good advice.

True, but that is the charm of the SSLXI, it is a pretty good all around towboat. Buy it and run it a few years and then you can decide which direction you might want to go for your next boat.

• Like 1

In addition to that, they are very easy to sell. They seem to be one of the most sought after Malibus around fom that era. You will have no problem selling it in a couple years if you decide to do so.

I sold mine just by putting the word out that it was available. Never formally advertised. Guy drove 1500 miles to get it. I've seen thread after thread on this site started by people looking for one and willing to travel far and wide to get them.

Without stating your typical crew size, tow vehicle, budget, typical water conditions and water sports of choice, we can't actually give any good advice.

2 adults and 2 kids, and friends. tow vehicle is a 2013 ford f-150 eco boost. so the twin turbo v6. water conditions are great, they do tend to get a bit windy later in the afternoon. wakeboard, tubing, wakeskate, wake surfing, i want to learn to ski, but ill probably do that on my friends boat. the budget would be around 18k. heres a link of the ad: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/5163662691.html

edit: also maybe airchair

Edited by bryceander

The transom of the LXi is extended beyond the wetted surface.

Looks like this. Look where the platform is relative to the step in the transom.

103381_0_070320091729_0.jpg&w=606&h=309&

i cant tell in the picture on craigslist.

LXi has rear locker as a top hatch/sun deck behind the seat, LX has rear locker in the back of the seat. LXi better for ski, LX better for wake sports. Both great boats and it's priced right for an LX before negotiation IMO. LXi should be closer to 20k.

But that tower kills it for me. Would have to pull that off immediately. Would also have to verify that the trailer is proper for the boat. ShoreLand'r did make some inboard trailers, but many more for non-inboards.

The interior pattern is another clue. The interior pattern on the LXi was much nicer than the LX, which is what's in the CL add.

huh, i just assumed it was an lxi, thanks.

LXi has rear locker as a top hatch/sun deck behind the seat, LX has rear locker in the back of the seat. LXi better for ski, LX better for wake sports. Both great boats and it's priced right for an LX before negotiation IMO. LXi should be closer to 20k.

But that tower kills it for me. Would have to pull that off immediately. Would also have to verify that the trailer is proper for the boat. ShoreLand'r did make some inboard trailers, but many more for non-inboards.

would you pull the tower off for aesthetics? are you talking about the trunk?

would you pull the tower off for aesthetics? are you talking about the trunk?

I don't mind towers in general, but that one's a Chinese universal tower-in-a-box and it's one of my very least favorites. Screams cheap.

Yes, the trunk.