Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heavy G3.......need help

Sixer

So I recently upgraded from a 2012 VTX to a 2014 VTX. The G3 tower on the new boat is unbelievably heavy. I have 2 tower speakers (same as in the prior boat) and no bimini to weigh it down. In my old boat I'd have to pull the tower down to its resting position by hand, and on the new one as soon as I get the tower knobs out it falls like a ton of bricks.

Is there a way to tighten something or make it so it doesn't fall so hard as soon as I get the knobs out?

On a side note.........this 10 hour engine break in is PAINFUL! :cry:

Thanks in advance for the help!

You need heavy duty shocks for inside the tower, I think malibu makes 3 different ones. Really ticked me off adding speakers and a Bimini and had the same proble until I upgraded.

I have exactly same issue with my 2014 but I never fold tower down so not a big deal for me. But I was shocked first time I tried it. Also noticed I need to periodically check the knobs because they loosen on their own.

Get a spare set of knobs or an extra set of allen bolts, day over if one of those goes overboard! Hey... wait this guy I know has a set for sale in the classified section!

This is the 5th year I have had my boat and I have never dropped the G3 tower down. I have no idea what it is like. I used to drop the ILlusion X on the old boat, and it was pretty easy.

I had a knob come loose once. I hand tightened it back up and hasn't been a problem since. I check them periodically. I don't lower my tower so that may have something to do with them not coming loose.

In my experience, the knobs work themselves loose when you trailer the boat a lot.

I also owned three different G3's and each of them a little different in this regard. These towers are not exactly precision instruments. The manufacturing tolerances are not super tight or consistent from tower to tower which may explain some of the variability we are seeing.

Mine haven't come loose yet, but my longest trip was 150 miles out, 7 days in the water and then 150 back. They were still tight when I took the tower down at home. I don't use a wrench on them, but if you can't turn them hard enough by hand it is a useful feature. If they were coming loose I would consider a star, split or thin rubber washer between the knob and the tower base.

As mentioned you need the heavier tower shocks. Did you buy it at a dealer? If so they should have no problem swapping out the tower shocks for you, mine did.

Edited by Brett B

Yes, I did buy it from a dealer, but unfortunately not my local dealer, as they didn't have any 2014 VTX's left. Hopefully it'll be covered under part of the Malibu warranty, but if not maybe they'll be relatively inexpensive......... :rofl: