Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drone surfing today

malibu03lxi

Ghetto Gate, 450lb in back ski locker, and 400 in center ski locker. I put everyone behind the windshield if we have 7 people or less. the eighth person will sit up front. I would load the back down more but I have to avoid the blower vents going under the water when moving. we surf at 9.9-10.3 mph depending on what weight we have going. Also I keep the gas 1/2 to 3/4 full.

Very nice vid. Wave looks fairly small but seems to have decent push and is very clean. Also, it looked pretty long. I'm actually surprised you could get that wave with only 850 lbs of water plus the people. Do you use a wedge as well? Any reason to believe you couldn't get the same wave out of a TXI? I'm hoping to make a boat upgrade in the next year or two. Thanks. -Marc

I have never been in a txi but im sure you could get a similar wave. the wedge is down too and the gate makes the wave so long. the wave is small compared to any wakeboard boat but it does us well without having to spend 80k on a new boat...which we only have 2 malibus to choose from since we have a length restriction. Maybe one day but then again I like to empty everything out of the boat and still have no wake to slalom. so the only way to fix this is well," two boats" :rofl:

I need to have a boat that I can take in the course and know that it's not going to hold me back. I also need a boat that I can teach kids to ski on at slower speeds and longer line lengths. I think the TXI is the perfect fit for that. The ability to be able to surf without fat sacs all over the place would be a very nice option as well. My neighbors invite me surfing all the time but it's nice to be able to go in your own boat when you have friends over.

In a 2003 Response, is the wedge manual or powered? I presume the gate is pretty much like most of the ones discussed on this site? Have you ever thought about going to some sort of automated setup? Sorry to ask so many questions but this is the only surf vid I have seen behind a Response.

I need to have a boat that I can take in the course and know that it's not going to hold me back. I also need a boat that I can teach kids to ski on at slower speeds and longer line lengths. I think the TXI is the perfect fit for that. The ability to be able to surf without fat sacs all over the place would be a very nice option as well. My neighbors invite me surfing all the time but it's nice to be able to go in your own boat when you have friends over.

In a 2003 Response, is the wedge manual or powered? I presume the gate is pretty much like most of the ones discussed on this site? Have you ever thought about going to some sort of automated setup? Sorry to ask so many questions but this is the only surf vid I have seen behind a Response.

Manual wedge, and yes just like the other gates as of now. i just clamp it to the platform. I have markings on the back of the boat to drill some holes and make the move towards automated but drilling the holes below waterline and back where the fuel tank is located has me thinking of the bad more than the good.

Although I agree drilling would be scary (I already have done some) I would be more worried that a permanent setup might affect the slalom wake. I have tried several setups on my ski boat but have never figured out a foolproof method that allows me to build a permanent setup. I have tried both a surfgate and a NSS type of attachment. I'm actually going to investigate a Gen 2 setup as it would be the easiest system to mount permanently.

I have mounted the gate as if it was closed, not engaged, and the only thing I notice when the gate is affected is when I make sharp turns at 25mph or faster. other than that, the gate does not touch any water going straight weighted for wakeboarding or skiing at 34 mph

it causes a spray across the platform and behind the boat. it is caused by the gate just being extended out further then the hull off the back. its really no big deal because it kinda does the same thing without it over the platform. its hard to explain.