Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Yeti and Rtic Coolers

JoeA

The free Yeti sticker?

I've got a Yeti that my wife bought. The Yeti is not rocket science. Good insulation and a good seal. The Yeti tumblers are awesome. Really long lasting cold drinks, even on the beach.

One difference I see on their site is bear resistant vs bear proof. We just got back from a 2 week camping trip in the Tetons and Yellowstone. I wanted to buy a Yeti or the like prior to the trip but got cheap and went with what we had in the shop. Not only did we spend a ton on ice for that old cooler, but didn't think of the "bear aware" aspect of the new cooler till we got into Yellowstone! Having one less cooler to pack into the cab of the pickup every night would've been great as we were camping in a pop up.

Not sure I'd think of any as bear proof, but one or the other may be more resistant to bears. Just like there is nothing that is fireproof, just various levels of being resistive.

Not sure I'd think of any as bear proof, but one or the other may be more resistant to bears. Just like there is nothing that is fireproof, just various levels of being resistive.

So is the cooler worth it or not? Bears aren't a problem in Austin....Thieves are

Bears are thieves and vandals. They stole my chocolate bars for s'mores, my 30 pack of tortillas and dumped my cooler out and spread the contents all over the campsite and broke the kid off.

The free Yeti sticker?

I've got a Yeti that my wife bought. The Yeti is not rocket science. Good insulation and a good seal. The Yeti tumblers are awesome. Really long lasting cold drinks, even on the beach.

Love the yeti tumblers! It's my go to cup for when the wife tells me I can only have one. 30oz later, I feel great and there will be ice left in the cup when I wake up!

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Yeti' patent just expired.

Thats why you are seeing less expensive options lately.

Ive got an rtic on the way. Got the 64 for $199. They are so busy they are on back order. No differences though. Great product

Edited by Chefkmass

Rtic coolers are made in China. Yeti has factories in USA and Philippines, but you have to call and specifically request a US made cooler.

Pelican Cases makes a comparable cooler, and they're 100% USA made, and cheaper than yeti. Orca is a brand that is also USA made, but they're as expensive as yeti.

I say check out Pelican. Buy American when possible!

• Like 2

The free Yeti sticker?

That is the understatement of the year. I've made a drink on Friday night, forgot it somewhere & found it Saturday afternoon.... still with ice in it.

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/outdoor/yeti-rambler-tumbler--ice-survives-truck-fire/59559074/

Rtic coolers are made in China. Yeti has factories in USA and Philippines, but you have to call and specifically request a US made cooler.

Pelican Cases makes a comparable cooler, and they're 100% USA made, and cheaper than yeti. Orca is a brand that is also USA made, but they're as expensive as yeti.

I wonder if Made in America really means Assembled in America, which is very important...but I also wonder about quality of materials for comparison. (galvanized steel comes to mind)

I wonder if Made in America really means Assembled in America, which is very important...but I also wonder about quality of materials for comparison. (galvanized steel comes to mind)

I wondered that watching Diesel Brothers the other night. They had a couple of guys from a Taiwanese tire manufacturer in town who eventually made their new "Patriot" brand tires. Even had an American flag embossed in the sidewall. Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I might order a rtic tumbler to see how it compares before dropping $$$ on one of their bigger coolers. Unless anyone on here can tell me if their coolers legitimately stack up to a yeti.

I have an Rtic, it held ice and beer for about a week.

• Like 3

I was told rtic is made here in Houston Texas. Where did you here china?

I have a rtic tumbler. Holds ice for days. Bottom says designed in Texas, made in China. Very happy with the quality so far. Excited to use it this summer.

According to the Orca website, their coolers are made in the USA (Nashville, TN) from US made components and American labor. From what I could gather from the Pelican website, they have 6 manufacturing sites around the world: California, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Germany, Australia, and the UK. It doesn't specify which locations manufacture which products (Pelican makes a TON of products, and coolers are a relatively new venture for them), nor does it specify from where the components are sourced.

That being said, my order of brand preference is: 1) Orca 2) Pelican 3) Yeti 4) Rtic

I will say this I always bashed people who spent the money on Yeti's......

Until I bought one. It is worth every penny. Ice lasts all day when we load it down and take it to the sand bar being opened every 10 minutes.

I left it in the boat for 4 days in directly sunlight in July and when I opened it not only was there still ice but a beer in there had become a beer slushy.

• Like 1