Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 VLX Exile Install Need Help

Fentonsurfer

Ok Crew-

I have been doing some reading in the forums and went with the Surf Setup by Exile, which many of you have.

• 4-SXT9Q's on the tower paired with the 30.2 amp
  • ​Added the Javelin amp to power the 6 existing rockford cabin speakers and the 12in sub that will be added, Exile.
  • ZLD and Bluetooth module.

I pulled the entire amp board out and built a new one for a cleaner install.

Amps are mounted and wired into the distribution blocks.

Mounted the Bluetooth

Mounted the Rockford headunit (not sure if I even need this anymore

Ran all the RCA's and Power + Remote wires for the ZLD

Here are my questions:

• Should I just run everything off the ZLD with Bluetooth to my phone (this is what I normally do with my existing RF system, I never use the radio)?
  • If I do this do I even need the RF HU and other pieces?
  • ​If I delete the RF headunit pieces I know I will lose the speed volume control which I and more importantly my wife really likes. Any way to keep this feature?

I really appreciate any help, I know many of you have learned tons of great tricks while installing your systems.

Thanks

Jay

2013 Malibu VLX (Yellow Jacket)

I ordered my boat with stereo delete. Basically running everything through the ZLD and iPhone. I recommend ditching all of the RF stuff. Just run it all of your ZLD...if you have cell service you can still use Pandora or whatever for radio if you choose.

Benefits:

- Ability to use the stereo with everything else off.

- Less noise/cleaner signal.

- More space under the observers compartment for your amp board and gear.

Negatives:

- No speed volume control.

IMG_0651_zps36022bb7.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpszb07yk81.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I have heard that there is an app for you phone that can adjust volume by GPS speed so maybe I will give that a try.

One more question, if you run it just through the ZLD how do you manage the power on/off?

As much as a hate the mess the black box creates I kept mine. I thought it would be far worse to have a dead remote in the dash and no control. Also don't put all your eggs in one basket and assume that Bluetooth is all your ever going to use. I have Bluetooth and it starts acting funny so I'll start just using the cord again. Of course this can be done with the ZLD but I happen to like the glove box location.

So ya I kept it for those reasons.

Lance

You bring up a good point. I have read that many people encounter some noise in their system when keeping the RF head unit, have you had any of these issues?

By running everything through your existing HU I assume that it powers up with the boat by simply running the REM wire to the RF black box right?