Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starter problems

Hi, I have a 2002 wakesetter xti23 that won't turnover (equipped with 335 Indmar monsoon)I'm thinking the starter may be the problem. A few weeks ago when I turned the key the engine would not turnover, when I went back a few hours later to try it again the engine started this week the problem is back. I had a problem with the bilage pump so I had 3 or 4 inches of water sit in the hull for a few days. I noticed the starter sits very low. I get a click at the starter when I turn the key but nothing more. Any ideas on how to confirm and correct the problem?

Quick & dirty test is try tapping the starter with a hammer while the key is turned to start - if it starts then it's time for a new starter.

Use a volt meter to check battery voltage at the battery and at the starter. Then hold it on the yellow/ red wire on the starter while someone tries to start it. If it's getting 12 + volts on that wire and not starting it is probably bad. You are on the right track about these starters sitting low and being subjected to water from the bilge. It WILL take them out.

There are those on the site that promote pulling the starter and having it rebuilt and saving about $75 doing so. Depending on where you live and how close you are to a rebuild shop, this may or may not make sense. For me I'd rather buy a NEW starter for around $200 and pull the old one and install the new one only pulling my tools out one time and not making multiple trips to and from a rebuild guy. ARCO 30470 is the starter I'd recommend if it's available.

Thanks everyone for your help. The boat is sitting at my cottage so next weekend I'll try all the suggestions. I did try taping the starter with a hammer, but not while turning the key. I'll keep everyone posted on the out come. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I tested the battery and I'm getting 12+ volts at the battery. I tested the voltage at the starter and I'm getting 12+ volts when the key is off and a fluctuating voltage of 3.6 to 5.6 when the key is turned to start. The starter also clicks as the volts drop. Is this conclusive? Do I need a new starter?

Hi everyone, I tested the battery and I'm getting 12+ volts at the battery. I tested the voltage at the starter and I'm getting 12+ volts when the key is off and a fluctuating voltage of 3.6 to 5.6 when the key is turned to start. The starter also clicks as the volts drop. Is this conclusive? Do I need a new starter?

My non mechanic methods usually involve throwing parts at the problem. While I can see why this would be a less than ideal way to proceed on a car, it has worked on my 16 year old boat. Take the starter off and have it rebuilt. You could have it bench tested but getting it rebuilt is not expensive and why not. Take the battery in with you to get it load tested, of if it is more than 4 years old replace it.

Your voltage drop could simply be a bad connection. Check all of the connections to make sure they are clean and tight.

Of course, when the same thing happened to me, it was the battery.

The naysayers will tell you to not disassemble your starter, but it is quite possible that you only need to clean it up inside. Check this thread out to see if you want to pull it and check it.

Edit: Stupid new phone. Why can't I get an internet browser that works like the old one? I see it decided to change the font size all on its own.

Edited by justgary

The naysayers might also say that a new starter costs like $50 ;)

Right, but the naysayers conveniently forget the fact that you might not have immediate access to the new $50 starter, and cleaning the old one out will both get you back on the water quickly and save you the $50.

Oops, I see the problem. TMC isn't about *saving* other people's money.

Time is money;) if your boat has easy access to the starter and pulling it a couple times isn't a big deal then go for it. Starter is one of those replace/rebuild parts that is just part of normal maint on an older boat. I suppose some folks live where they can't get a common marine starter in less than an hour.