Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need to make a change. Suggestions please

Levi900RR

The boat lift just isn't working for me anymore. My beach is so shallow that I have to move it at least 3 times a summer and at this point I am a good 200' off shore. I might be over reacting as I just got home from 3 hours of moving docks and the lift. I hate asking my buddies for help as they all have their own set of problems to deal with on the weekends. Thinking that here are my options:

1) Try to invest MORE money into my set up to make it easier to move. Another set of wheels on the lift and a brand new dock aluminum dock with wheels.

2) Ditch the whole deal and run the boat off a mooring at my beach and deal with the mess / hassle with using a row boat or something to get out to it.

3) Get a slip at one of the three marinas that are less than a 1/4 mile from my house. This would be costly in the long run but if it took some stress out of using the boat it would be worth it.

I'm also kicking around the idea of selling my boat all together and getting a bigger I/O. My family is just not into wake sports any more and the lake I live on is pretty big and choppy.

Thoughts?

Oh yeah, my current set up is 50 feet of old wooden stationary docks and a brand new covered lift with 1 set of jack wheels.

Hey, I have a different but similar problem. We have to float the lift around a half mile or so every spring and fall. Used to use inner tubes under the bottom rail and float it. Was a HUGE pita. In the spring I bought www.boatlifthelper.com . Pricey but SO worth it. Only needs 3 lbs of air to float the lift. You can use an air mattress inflator to fill it. Pops it right out of the water. Move it where you want, flip the lever, it lowers into place. Legs aren't even? Refill, adjust the leg, flip the lever, drop into place.

Works great, no more free weekend of beer for my buddies though as my wife and I can easily do it ourselves now..

Edited by dexcopper

So it stays attached to the bottom of your lift??? How durable are the air balloons? Looks like a great idea..........what's the approximate price?

Sorry, yes stays attached all summer. Will likely take it off over the winter as I am sure some water sneaks in there at some point, plus I don't want anyone liberating it from me... Cost was around $1,800 but that was in Canada, likely cheaper in the States as they are made in MN I believe...

And they seem super durable. I showed them to my next door neighbor last year and he has used it for one full season already with no problems...

Edited by dexcopper

Wow, that's a chunk of $. BUT if it makes moving the lift a non issue it's probably worth it. I really need to decide what I'm gonna do but if I keep the LSV and lift set up I'll probably have to order up some air bags.

I vote to get a slip at a local marina. Much less hassle and more convenient to go on and off the boat. Yes, your boat will be dirtier than if it was up in the air on a lift, but the convenience outweighs that in my opinion.

However, if your family is really not into watersports, and you are on a bigger lake that the LSV doesn't handle well, I would seriously consider selling and getting a boat more suited for your family's needs. After spending a week on Lake Winnipesaukee with our vRide, I can see exactly what you mean. If that was where we boated all summer, we would not have a wakeboat, or else it would definitely have to be something bigger with a deeper V to handle the chop that a big lake and a lot of big boat traffic can kick up. I'm thinking something like a G23 or X23 might be suitable, but WAY out of our price range!

• 2 weeks later...

I vote to get a slip at a local marina. Much less hassle and more convenient to go on and off the boat. Yes, your boat will be dirtier than if it was up in the air on a lift, but the convenience outweighs that in my opinion.

However, if your family is really not into watersports, and you are on a bigger lake that the LSV doesn't handle well, I would seriously consider selling and getting a boat more suited for your family's needs. After spending a week on Lake Winnipesaukee with our vRide, I can see exactly what you mean. If that was where we boated all summer, we would not have a wakeboat, or else it would definitely have to be something bigger with a deeper V to handle the chop that a big lake and a lot of big boat traffic can kick up. I'm thinking something like a G23 or X23 might be suitable, but WAY out of our price range!

Yeah man I am really at a cross roads. I need to decide what is best for the family. I LOVE my LSV but I might have to let it go.