Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No Moon, Pitch Darkness, Dead Flashlight, LOST

Afun

While we are on the topic of boating at night, anybody else go to local hangouts at night then boat home? My good friends who run the Lakedwellers clothing line are based here. The Breakers of Swan Bay is close to home. I highly recommend it if you are ever in the west Ky./ Tennessee area. This place gets PACKED on most weekends. Great people!

post-18128-0-31383200-1439143228_thumb.j

post-18128-0-42737400-1439143320_thumb.j

I really will only do nighttime boating in an area I'm super familiar with. Glad you made it back safely.

What GPS do you go by? How far away from familiar water were you? Just curious.

I really will only do nighttime boating in an area I'm super familiar with. Glad you made it back safely.

What GPS do you go by? How far away from familiar water were you? Just curious.

I got the Trex 20. I have Norris Dam plotted, but the waypoint also plots Norris Lake. I saw the word Norris on the screen and followed the Norris Lake plot. I did not mark a new waypoint. I was using existing lines ( don't know the verbiage) took me off course just enough for the night to creep in. Once on track, it just got too dark. It was a special kind of dark too. I was about 20 minutes away.

image.jpg1_zpsv596kcib.jpg

Edited by Afun

Due to a series of unfortunate events yesterday me and my buddy were headed back to the launch past dark last night. I don't have lights on my boat and I've never had a problem running at night without them. But last night i was cruising back and barely saw two small boats fishing or whatever they were doing with no lights on the boat and only turned on flashlights when they saw me coming, this makes me nervous to run at night without lights now since not everyone follows the rules like they should. I could never live with myself if I had hit those boats, probably some young kids just having fun. So from now on i will always keep a q beam on board for night rides.

I've lost track of where I was on a canoe in Minnesota when I was a teen. With two buddies that started fighting. And then we found the cabin, lol. Never were lost at all. I went on the chain of lakes in Chicago exactly once at night and won't be doing that again! Took all night to get back, churning mud the whole way. The river I boat on is lit up like a Christmas display. No hazards, really. Just a few spots to avoid. I've boated all night long several times.

Why were you out that late after dark?

It was a fantastic day that I didn't want to end. We got a little delayed leaving Twin Cove Marina in Caryville...going off track delayed me just enough to let the darkness creep in.

I have done Lake Powell at night. Like 9:30 at night coming back to Wahweap from Castle Rock years ago. Big channel but holy hell will I never do that again. Couldn't see very far even with the spotlight.

The dead flashlight is exactly why I carry a corded one instead.

Yeah...my bad on that one. Even with the spotlight that the folks that helped me out had...it was terribly difficult. Next time I will be making my way back earlier.

I use an app called Marine Navigator. I really don't need it because I typically just run the river I am on, but it is very accurate and helpful for times like this. You download whatever lakes you need.

I have to politely disagree......

I have to agree with Saxton. Night time boating has little to offer. Yeah it's different, but a bit dangerous. If you are just going to venture out a short distance....no problem. All the Marinas are closed at night. You can't do water sports either.

Nothing good happens on the water when the sun goes down.

Totally disagree. Just have to be prepared for it. Have proper lighting -I know you can't see squat with good lighting on a calm, pitch black night but if there were something in front of you, it would light up. Have plenty of time - just take your time and idle back home. Be ready for the adventure -I have had plenty of memorable nights on the boat, some better than others but some really great times.

• Like 3

Some of the best fishing is at night. Not from my 'bu though.

A slow, midnight cruise up and down the lake is awesome/peaceful/beautiful if you can get a crew together. One of the best times on a boat for me was when a group of us idled all the way from up around Solway bridge to the Melton Hill dam and back.

As mentioned somewhere above though, if the fog rolls in it's a whole different story.

I just don't boat after dark for all these reasons. Nothing good happens on the water when the sun goes down.

Hmmmm, I don't agree at all. We came home at midnight Friday night. Would have missed out on dinner and all the festivities had I left earlier. The trip home was uneventful and tons of fun. Get the right lights & take it slow.

After doing this a few weeks ago with the neighbors, they are begging me to do it again. Apparently they had a good time too.

• Like 1