Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How shallow can water depth be at boat slip

LotzAWake

I have a 23Lsv and am re ting a lake house. Just rolled in and slip has 3 feet of water. Thoughts? Can an LSV dock in 3 feet?

We do with the 22MXZ. I prefer 3.5 just in case someone takes a sip out of the lake though....

Not sure off hand what draft is on LSV. However, if your lake level is controlled by a dam, beware of fluctuating levels as many lakes are starting to drop the level to get ready for fall rains.

What is the bottom material?

The draft on a 2013 23LSV according to the resources section is 27" you should be OK as long as the water does not drop an appreciable amount.

My friend lives on Utah Lake and they experience this quite often during this time of the season. He walks his boat out until the water level increases. Not sure if this is a do-able option for you but personally I would not drive it out under 3', but that is just me. I also hit my prop this year so I am extra cautious and do not want to experience that again. Could you actually get the boat off the trailer? I tried to launch this year in about 3 feet of water and my boat would not come off the trailer.

My slip is 3-4 ft with a pretty soft bottom & fair amount of traffic going by. Like the others said, it depends how much movement the boat will see, traffic, is the bottom clay or weeds, etc?

I've done it before in less, but with a full crew. I would walk the boat in the last 20-30 ft though. If I accidentally hit something I'd rather do it while I was pushing the boat and not with the prop spinning. I didn't have any issues and probably could have done just fine under power.

• Like 2

I had a slip in Redmond that would get a little shallow at the end of the summer when water levels were down. I would tie the boat in the slip & put it in gear at idle speed & let the prop stir up the bottom & blow it all out. I bet I gained a foot or two of depth in the slip itself. For just a few minutes work.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

27" is the draft, dry. Count on a bit more with all your fuel, gear, people etc...

If you plan to put in a hoist, which you should, you will need to consider one that will work in that depth, or attempt to dredge, or blow out some material to get it a little deeper.

For years, I had 3 feet of water, this year I have 5. 3 was pushing it for my hoist. I had to rest the cradle on the bottom to get on.

If it truly is just mud, just pull into the slip at idle power. The prop will pull plenty of material up and relocate it way beyond the slip. Of course, if it isn't just mud....

When the fins stop the boat you are too shallow. I think I ran 2.1 ft today in the vRide 23 but the gorilla fin (AKA the prop saver) hit a mud bank and it appeared we were at 1.5. Oops! Stepped off the swim platform onto what felt like ankle deep and hand backed it out and headed the other direction. :)