Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil System Cleaner

Hey guys,

When I get my car oil changed, they occasionally run a cleaner through the system to "improve the performance". Usually its suggested every 3rd oil change. Is there any product similar for the boat? I'm about 15 hours shy of my oil change interval and I noticed the oil is very black.

I am with LBJ. I did have a four stroke outboard I was having problems with and decided to try something. I used seafoam it has mix ratio on the can for use in the crankcase. In my case it was ether try or pull the engine down. Every one was telling me I needed a new power head. I was going with carbon buildup in the ring groves. It did work for me and the engine ran fine for moor years and was still going strong when I sold it.

But with todays oil's I don't and would not do it unless it was a must fix. Not for maintenance practice.

If you have concerns I would send an oil sample in for analysis.

I'd be pretty confident that the bulk of boat engines that run faultlessly for a squillion hours never have this 'performance improving' rinse aid run through them.

I'd also be confident that the product is very efficient at improving the revenue performance of the workshop...

(EDIT: RTS just beat me to it...!)

p.s. There are millions of car and boat engines out there that run massive mileages with nothing more than routine servicing (if that...!).

Edited by GreenMan

Sounds good! I guess it's all a matter of sucking every ounce of oil out of the engine during the change.

Follow up to that: Do you guys notice your oil pressure drop below 50 at idle when you approach the change interval? In the last 10 hours or so I've watched it stay in the 37-45PSI range.

Yes I've noticed lower oil pressure as I near 50 hours.

This is typically caused by running multi-viscosity oil The viscosity improvers shear through use, gradually decreasing their effectiveness. It's the reason I run straight weight (40w) oil. I don't need the multi-visc in my boat, never start t at sub-freezing temps.

Corrected it for you...

Totally agree with this. I've noticed some pay at the pump gas stations now have a bunch of BS "fuel system cleaning" options you have to decline before you can start pumping gas. I think they triple their profit if you ever accept one of these snake oil additives.