Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Current draw from amp triggers? Wetsounds Syn2's and 4

67King

Anyone have any idea how much current it takes to turn on the amps? I've generally set up a relay to turn on multiple amps, but the wiring from the factory (I had the black box installed with no cabin speakers or amps or anything through the special build request) has a couple of jumpers, indicating (to me anyway) that it should support multiple amps. It also has a 1amp fuse in it, rather than a smaller one. Would be nice if I don't have to run a relay this go around. Online searches have yielded lows of 10mA to 500mA as typical. I know it is more than 10mA, but don't think it is as high as 500.

50mA would be the maximum draw from the amplifier circuit while 500 mA is the typical max rating of the HU circuit. That would suggest that you could safely turn-on a combination of ten amplifiers, EQs, and other processors. But I've never trusted more than three items on that circuit. Fixing that circuit is extremely expensive. A relay is so inexpensive.

Thanks, guys. First stereo I did 20+ years ago required a relay for more than 1 amp. Last one I did on the boat had 3 amps, plus the 420. This one I don't have a 420, just 3 amps. The trigger is fused, so it is protected from overloading. Sounds like I'm in good shape. I may still run a relay for the tower speakers, depending on if the volume to them can be controlled separately, so I could run a ground interrupt switch near the dash to turn off them when they aren't needed.