Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best crossover boat on a budget

dutchtouch

Like a lot of you, we ski when the water allows it, and if not, we surf. We would like to upgrade to a more spacious boat...likely a v-drive, while still be able to both ski and surf. What is the best crossover boat on a budget (below 20-25 grand)?

1)2000 era sunsetter lxi with a wedge. 2)Or the prostar 205v from the late 90's. Nautique's sport in 99 can be weighted for a hreat wakeboard wake - little rough on the ski wake.

I have been very pleased with my 21' LSV (V-Drive) for wake and ski.

I pull my son through the course. We try to be 1/4 tank of fuel and a small crew on board. having an observer in the passenger seat and another person in the bow flattens the wake and makes it consistent. it tracks well.

I have a wedge but no tanks or tower.

Seating for 4 - 6 is comfortable.

Photos below are the wake at 32 MPH, and then the other 2 are my son probably at 32 MPH and 15 off.

This should give you a feel for what kid of wake you can get with that size boat. 20 footers likely even better for ski.

Pretty sure i have the diamond hull.

post-7974-0-08119500-1439083931_thumb.jp

post-7974-0-88003100-1439083971_thumb.jp

post-7974-0-32064700-1439084000_thumb.jp

Edited by Soon2BV

I'm biased since I chose an 01 vlx with diamond hull but there are other v drives you might consider that I had heard about in my search. The moomba outback v was one that came to mind but there was something about the layout or interior for me that did not work. Master craft has a good crossover v. I think it is the x star 1?? At any rate, I liked the lines and layout of the Malibu along with how it handles in the chop which as I understood, was a tad better than others.

I'm biased since I chose an 01 vlx with diamond hull but there are other v drives you might consider that I had heard about in my search. The moomba outback v was one that came to mind but there was something about the layout or interior for me that did not work. Master craft has a good crossover v. I think it is the x star 1?? At any rate, I liked the lines and layout of the Malibu along with how it handles in the chop which as I understood, was a tad better than others.

I have a '02 WS LSV 23.They now trade in your price range. Given what you are looking for it would be wise to look at this and compare it with the 21. There are many articles on how to set one up for what you want to do. I am tempted to seriously look at a DIY surf gate.

Should be able to find an '01 SS VLX for that. Still amazed at the versatility of ours. It will out handle and out ski anything from Moomba or MC in a V configuration and surfs well listed.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I bought my LSV in 2002 I tried Tige 21V, mastercraft Maristar and malibu VLX for both wakeboarding and skiing (not surfing back then). The VLX was the only one that I didn't feel a significant wake while skiing at 32 mph. I bought the LSV because I was the only skiier and we wanted room to have guests. The LSV skis okay for skiing but I just bought a Radar Senate which is stiffer than my former ski and you definately feel the wake (but still less then other boats I tried). Just skiied and surfed behind my buddy's 2001VLX a few weeks ago and the ski wake was nice and the surf wake was good too. The LSV has a better surf wake which now what we predominantly do and the extra room for kids, freinds and now grand kids definitely make me glad a chose it.