Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Response TXI Performance Question

Dan C

I have a 2015 Response TXI with the PCM (crusader) 350 monsoon. The boat seems slow out of the hole and way down on top speed compared to my 2009 Response LXI with the Indmar 350 monsoon. Currently the boat runs 43 MPH at 4650 RPM's on the tach and 4725 RPM's on the mechanics laptop, with 1/4 tank of fuel and just the driver. I can barely get 40 MPH pulling one barefooter. The crusader engine manual says the motor should run at 5200 RPM's and the mechanic agrees it should be be between 5000 and 5300 RPM's. Malibu is telling me the max RPM's the boat is set up to run is 4750 and they should know better than anyone, but it doesn't seem right that I can't pull someone over 40 MPH. Does anyone else have a similar set up and can share their boats performance numbers with me.

I have a 2012 Txi and the acceleration seems to be the same as my old boat, a 2005 Rlxi. However, I agree with you on the top speed as I only get about 44 MPH lightly loaded. I really don't worry about top speed, though as I don't barefoot. I think my Rlxi was closer to 46 - 47 MPH.

I have a 2015 Response TXI with the PCM (crusader) 350 monsoon. The boat seems slow out of the hole and way down on top speed compared to my 2009 Response LXI with the Indmar 350 monsoon. Currently the boat runs 43 MPH at 4650 RPM's on the tach and 4725 RPM's on the mechanics laptop, with 1/4 tank of fuel and just the driver. I can barely get 40 MPH pulling one barefooter. The crusader engine manual says the motor should run at 5200 RPM's and the mechanic agrees it should be be between 5000 and 5300 RPM's. Malibu is telling me the max RPM's the boat is set up to run is 4750 and they should know better than anyone, but it doesn't seem right that I can't pull someone over 40 MPH. Does anyone else have a similar set up and can share their boats performance numbers with me.

What do you mean by "Malibu" is telling you the boat is "Set up" to run 4750? In Tennessee? That does not sound correct.

Yes, what prop is on the boat? First thing I would do is prop it down 1/2 a pitch and see if you can get closer to 5000 rpm. The newer models run more hull in the water and therefore are not as fast top end as previous models.

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

I have the same setup -- 2015 TXI with Crusader 350. At about 1700 feet elevation, I find WOT 4750 RPMs and a top speed a little under 42 MPH measured on the Zero Off GPS. These numbers were based on a fairly full tank of fuel, two people, and all the necessary watersports gear. I would expect these numbers to increase somewhat as one approaches sea level. My wife and I only slalom ski and have no issues with the pull out of the hole. The stock prop is the Acme 525 with the 350, whereas the stock prop with the bigger engine options is the Acme 515. Apparently, these props are the ones sanctioned by AWSA for the 2015 TXI in tournaments. I, too, thought the WOT numbers where a bit low, but it's a moot point for how we use the boat.

Thanks for the responses.

the boat came with a 13 x 11.50 my dealer spoke to the Malibu factory and they confirmed that due to moving the motor forward the WOT RPM's should be 4750 and the top speed is down a little from previous models. I am at about 550 feet elevation and we can get about 43 MPH @ 4650 with 2 adults, 3 kids and all our water ski gear, this drops to 40 MPH when dragging a footer.

My dealer said Malibu is looking for a 13 x 11.00 prop for me try to see if it helps me get the RPM's and top speed up a little.

Because I was getting conflicting information from the mechanic, the engine manual and my dealer I wasn't sure who or what to believe. i just assumed that a boat 6 years newer that my last response would would have the same or better top speed and I was concerned that maybe I had something wrong with the motor. I realize its a tournament ski boat that we are using as the family ski, wakeboard and barefoot boat so its impossible to make everyone happy.

thanks again for the responses, I feel better knowing that someone else with the same setup is getting the same numbers I am.

Dan,

Please report back with the results after the new prop....including the holeshot (since you mentioned the boat was "slower out of the hole" compared to the 09).

I'd also be curious if you have noticed and discernable difference in fuel efficiency with the new boat.

Good Luck.

Yes, the ACME 525 is 13x11.5, which came standard on your boat. The ACME 515 is 13x12. A possible prop option may be the ACME 911, which is 13x10.5, and appears on the recommended props for the 2015 TXI by wakemakers.com I haven't spoken to anyone who has tried this prop on the 2015 TXI with the Crusader 350, and so would be interested to hear findings.

ahopkins22LSV

Also on ours I hit about 42-44 depending on wind, gear, people, ect... I hit 44 once with very low fuel, no gear and with the wind so 43 is the more realistic top end. Personally I feel the hole shot is better on my boat than my first response, but I have a 13, not a 15 with PCM. I have skied a 15 and didn't notice any difference in the pull up being the skier.

I also agree with the prop suggestions above.

I have a question though:

Why haven't we seen pictures of these new TXi's you guys have?!? :biggrin:

• Like 2

I just ordered a ACME 911 (13x 10.5) prop so I will let you know how this works out.

I will take a few pics this weekend and figure out how to post them.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^^ Very nice! MC numbers, are you in Michigan?

^^ Very nice! MC numbers, are you in Michigan?

Yep, Sylvan Lake.....right down the street from you, well about 12 miles down the street. :lol:

@Dan C: Peter makes excellent points, his comment on less pitch + additional cup are spot on, it worked really well for me to accomplish good holeshot and top speed (in a different application and independent of his comment, but the theory is sound) and also working direct with Acme on some recommendations and they have experimented with pitch & cup. The guys at Acme are great to talk to.

Small items, but make sure the engine is getting as much cool air as possible and consider opening the center window when footing. The catalytic converters now required also rob the engine of some power, aggravating the top end issue due to larger wetted surface power requirements. I would also take everything out of the bow area when footing in an attempt to lessen the nose down attitude as much as possible.

• 2 years later...

I am considering the purchase of a 2015 Malibu Response TXi and would be interested to know how the story ended?  Was a new prop from Acme the answer?  Any other concerns with the 2015.  I did not realize the engine was a PCM versus an Indmar as I saw Monsoon on the engine cover (I thought Monsoon was an Indmar branding thing).  Anyway, I am perfectly happy with my 2005 Response LXi, but I am reaching a point where I need to perform some bigger ticket maintenance items so a new TXi is very tempting.  No one nearby me in Michigan has made the leap to this era of Response.  There is one 2011 Response on our lake and the wake is no improvement over my wake - unless you are at a much shorter line length (28 - 32).

@goingboating:  Not surprised, the Gen 1 LXi is an awesome slalom machine.   The TXi actually focused on the longer line length and softened / lowered the bump so it will show an improved difference at the longer line lengths.  Malibu flattened the deadrise to accomplish that.   Newer boats provide newer electronics, Zero Off speed control, screens and creature comfort items.  Short line (32 on down) will be pretty comparable to what you have now.

A friend of mine just picked up a 2013 TXi.  Sweet boat for sure.  However, for the hack level I am at, I don't see a difference in the wake (34 mph @ 22 off) over the '03-'06 models.  Not sure if it's related to the drive'by-wire throttle, but the hole shot felt a bit "softer" to me (335 Monsoon vs. 350 Monsoon, same props).  The nose definitely doesn't dip down like the '03-'06.  Visually, at least.  

Biggest complaint of mine......the fancy newer dash means no cup holders to either side of the glove box, so nowhere to put the morning coffee (unless you pick up the pylon cupholders) :lol:.

9 minutes ago, powbmps said:

A friend of mine just picked up a 2013 TXi.  Sweet boat for sure.  However, for the hack level I am at, I don't see a difference in the wake (34 mph @ 22 off) over the '03-'06 models.  Not sure if it's related to the drive'by-wire throttle, but the hole shot felt a bit "softer" to me (335 Monsoon vs. 350 Monsoon, same props).  The nose definitely doesn't dip down like the '03-'06.  Visually, at least.  

Biggest complaint of mine......the fancy newer dash means no cup holders to either side of the glove box, so nowhere to put the morning coffee (unless you pick up the pylon cupholders) :lol:.

@powbmps your hull is my favorite Malibu ever produced.  Outstanding wakes without being a plow like the newer ones.  Nimble handling, efficient running, fast.  Wish they'd made it for more than 4 years.