Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice needed

dutchtouch

I currently have a 20 year old Malibu (95 Echelon). It is in reasonably good shape, especially considering it serve as a waterski boat for a church camp for numerous years. The engine is great and we have a lot of fun with it, even surfing behind it...not a small feat for a 250 pound guy ;-) The only thing we don't like is the lack of room. We have to drive an hour to get to the lake, so all of our boards, are aboard when we go. Add in some fat sacs and there isn't much room left for people. I am considering upgrading with a tower, racks and Bimini top. All said and done, between 3-4 grand. Considering the boat is likely only worth 10 grand on a good day, is this a wise investment into an old boat? Or should I try and sell the boat and see if I can find a slightly newer boat that already has the above mentioned. It would likely cost me way more money to get the boat that I want, but it would be newer...any thoughts ? Advice? Thanks

Btw I don't have a money tree in my backyard ;-)

With the price of newer boats, if you are happy with yours now and feel it's been well maintained and trouble free, why not add to it if the mods are ok for the boat and enjoy it for another 20 years. BTW whats hours on your old friend? We currently ski behind a 98 Sportster, 750 hrs. Wonderful course boat, reliable, and we know how to work on it when needed. I honestly wouldn't trade it straight across for a boat 10 years newer if offered.

I'm not sure how many hours it has on it, but I'm guessing quite a few due to its history. It has it's fair share of nicks on it, but it runs like a train. I'm very happy with its performance...just very hesitant to spend as much on upgrades as the boat is worth.

A tower will get the boards outa the way, but not the fat sacs...and it won't give you more seating. If you don't ever wanna sell it, or at least keep it for 10 years, then I'd suggest to get a tower. But if you want a better seating laying(v-drive) then don't put money into a boat you plan to sell. Jmo.

• Like 1
MalibuNation

Sounds like you do more than just ski. I'm voting for a V-Drive.

You don't have your location set but with your name I can't tell if you are on the other side of the pond or in the states. Check out our Want To Buy section as there's someone looking for your model boat.

I owned a 97 Sunsetter v-drive and it was a very good boat for us. It was the same hull as the first wakesetters. We upgraded with a tower and some integrated ballast and put 300 relatively trouble free hours on it. I have seen a few good deals on similar boats, but anything approaching twenty years is all about condition. Might want to wait out the year and see what comes on the market, if nothing you like or can afford you could upgrade yours at the end of the off season.

We have this debate quite often as well, and basically have decided to continue dumping money into our 2000 VLX as the cost to upgrade to what we'd really want (a 23' surfgate boat) is still a few years away. That being said, in your situation, it sounds like a V-drive is likely want you are after. In general, you could spend the $3-4K on yours and still not have more interior seating, or up your budget by another $3-4K and get into a late 90's early 2000's V-drive, already with the tower you are after, a v-drive layout for a little more space, and just as rock solid of engine/drivetrain as you currently have.

I think you are to a point of dimensioning returns spending that much on a 10k boat. I have been down this road with our '88 Sunsetter about 6 years ago. Added tower, sacks then started showing its age: steering cables, new transmission, another transition failure 2 years later... we were spending 3,000 a year in upgrades and maintenance EASY! A payment on a 50k v-ride or used Wakesetter will run you about $500 a month. We loved the 2010 v-ride for 5 years, were shocked at how much better gas mileage it got too (the sunset was carb engine and not exactly designed for wake boarding and surfing), well worth the investment for the added seating, storage, surf performance, nicer tower and racks... the list goes on. I in fact just traded it in for a 2015 Wakesetter... it's still for sale at Skipper Buds in Madison... probably buy it for low 40's easy.