Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Syn 6

jdiaz78

I was playing with my stereo today and noticed that my sub wasn't producing any sound. I called Wet Sounds and they walked me through some trouble shooting. Come to find out, channels 5 and 6 that run the sub don't work. I don't know how long it has been like this. Now I get to send the unit back for repair. I will say the customer service at Wet Sounds was great. Hopefully they'll get the unit back to me next week.

Has anyone else had this issue with the sub channel not working?

• Like 1

Not trying to 2nd guess their tech support, just thinking of the things I would do. Did you ohm the sub leads? Did you wire the sub direct to chnl 5 and then to 6? Is 5/6 getting its signal pass-thru or direct and did you change that just to see?

Only 1 Syn-6 issue in 8 years. Fault code that was easily repaired.

The sub worked on channel 3/4. I stitched the front speakers to channel 5/6 and nothing. I didn't ohm test the sub. He said channel 5/6 are on a separate amp inside the big amp. I'm just taking his word on that.

That amplifier is a tank made from top shelf components. While I strongly recommend against it, I have seen that amplifier routinely run six in boat coaxials, four tower HLCDs, plus a subwoofer, and be reliable.

While there are two transformers inside the Syn6, I believe they serve totally different purposes and there is just a single power supply feeding all six channels. So I find it odd that both the large channels simultaneously failed, and not just one, if all channels do indeed share the same supply. However, the front four and rear two channels may have independent taps off the transformer so there may be some independent operation. But everything is a guess until you get it on the bench. I would simply wait for Wetsounds to get it in their possession and determine what the true cause of failure is. Then see if that is something that relates to the rest of your system or set-up going forward or just a random part failure.

Wet Sounds got back to me. They said there was a problem with channels 5 / 6 clipping. They have sent me a replacement and I should get it tomorrow. I can say that Wet Sounds has amazing customer service.

I have had two factory installed Syn6's go down in the last two years only. Oddly both were because of bad crossover Switch... Hit it or a bump and it would jump out of HP to FULL...