Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Measured Trailering Weight - Malibu

River Monsters

I've seen a lot of discussion about towing weight, but not so much real numbers. This thread would be for trailer weight measured, not estimated.

'08 VTX with LCR

-single axle trailer

-full fuel tank (45 gallons)

-single battery

-empty ballast

-box anchor, jackets

-no other gear or boards

-published dry weight 3,300 lbs

CAT scale weight 5,160 lbs

A little higher than I would think and my boat is not highly optioned. 275 lbs in fuel but no bow tank option or tower speakers. Floating wedge, no power wedge assembly. My '99 Lightning (F150!) we are selling weighed 4,680 lbs FWIW.

Yes, they have 3 pads that weigh separately. I pulled the truck onto the second pad and left the trailer on the third. Tongue jack was on the 3rd pad and I just lifted off the ball to get the measurement. I actually circled back around without the trailer and put the truck on the first pad to see if we got the same number and we did exactly. I was way more curious about everything than the lady at the truck stop.

post-20057-0-30125500-1438950814_thumb.j

Cool. Lot of folks forget about the weight that is on the tongue and just pull through hitched up. I'll have to try to get over to the local scale soon, I am curious about what the total weight on my setup is.

Last question - what does it say on your trailer weight tag on your single trailer? This is mine from a 2012 tandem and if you look at the tag on the right it says that 4850 is the max cargo weight, which theoretically means that Boatmate is saying my trailer weighs 1150 (without the spare and any other extra junk) to get to the 6000lb GVWR.

post-22501-0-57916100-1438951260_thumb.j

River monster. I guess your skepticism about true weight was totally correct when we talked at WTW-Mi. I'm going to have to find a scale now and weigh mine.

I might have a really good reason to get bigger truck :)

Thanks for sharing and starting the thread.

• Like 2

I might have a really good reason to get bigger truck :)

Yeh! WTW was great all the way around.

We are looking to eliminate both our full size trucks but >5k lbs takes smaller SUV's like 4runner off the table. Good to know I guess.

Next step - Trailer only to get actual boat weight!

Did you weigh with and without the trailer attached to the truck, to get tongue weight?

Trailer scale1 weight not hooked to truck - trailer scale weight1 hooked to truck (on scale2) = tongue weight

(OR)

Truck wheels on scale2 with trailer attached and on scale1 - truck on scale2 no trailer = tongue weight

PS - thanks for posting this. I plan to do the same when i pull mine from the lake this fall.

Edited by Soon2BV

2014 24 MXZ

LS3

2 batteries, 2 tower speakers, sub, amps.

FULL of gas (78 gal tank)

Tandem trailer w/18" wheels + spare

No gear, or ice chest

Box anchor

Published dry weight 4800

7325 @ rock yard scale. 500 pounds over trailer GVWR.

Edited by DarkSide

2014 24 MXZ

LS3

2 batteries, 2 tower speakers, sub, amps.

FULL of gas (78 gal tank)

Tandem trailer w/18" wheels + spare

No gear, or ice chest

Box anchor

Published dry weight 4800

7325 @ rock yard scale. 500 pounds over trailer GVWR.

I wonder how much weight the triple axle adds.

Also, curious if the new 25 LSV is more or less than the 24 MXZ.

I wonder how much weight the triple axle adds.

Also, curious if the new 25 LSV is more or less than the 24 MXZ.

That is why i ordered triple. GVWR goes up over 8k,

I would think they weigh about the sane. 24 MXZ is only 7" shorter, but has pickle bow to offset shortage. I believe Malibu is WAY off on the dry weight of the MXZ @ 4800, i think the 25 is close at 5500 or 5600 what ever they posted.

BTW, both 25's BOULDER has are on triples. The last 2 24 MXZ also.

Edited by DarkSide

I weighed this weekend. Stopped at CAT scale by the local cable park.

Boat is 06 vlx with full tank of gas 4 batteries and some gear. unhooked the trailer and left the axles on pad 3 and the tongue jack on pad 2. The truck was on the first pad

Truck- 6200

Tongue- 700

Axles- 5400

The boat at 6100 is about exactly what I expected.

My 2012 VLX, without any gear or tower speakers, and only ~half tank of gas, was 5900lbs on the boatmate trailer. Loaded up and lake ready I am likely in the 6200lb range pretty easily.

• 2 years later...

Can anyone provide any insight as to the total and tongue weight of a 2018/17 24 MXZ with tandem axle trailer?  Also, what benefit is there to a triple axle? Does that reduce the tongue weight?

25lsv with dual axil is too much tounge weight is all I can say. Makes ride on crappy roads a bit bumpy with boat humping the truck.. 

The triple adds the third in front which should dramatically reduce tounge weight transfered to truck.. 

• 2 months later...

My 2018 LSV 23 full tank of fuel and coolers ready to drop in lake for the day. 7240 lbs. 1,000 lbs on fulton jack and 6,240 on tandems. Weighed on Cat Scales. Meant to put a block of wood under tongue instead of resting on trailer jack as the tongue weight will be a bit less because of being farther away, overall weight will be the same 7240lbs.

2005 4x4 crew cab Titan truck full of fuel = 5,920 lbs with me 185lbs in it.

Edited by dalt1
16 hours ago, That Guy said:

That tongue weight seems insane. 

Guessing at tongue is going to be at 900 lbs? Who can do the math to figure how much less the tongue weight is as opposed to the jack wheel. I know the overall weight plus the weight on jack but would like to know how much that would shift with moving weight farther out to tongue? Say the tongue was 3 feet farther forward than the jack.

3 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Guessing at tongue is going to be at 900 lbs? Who can do the math to figure how much less the tongue weight is as opposed to the jack wheel. I know the overall weight plus the weight on jack but would like to know how much that would shift with moving weight farther out to tongue? Say the tongue was 3 feet farther forward than the jack.

Should be pretty easy to figure out within a ballpark.  Measure the linear length from between the axles to the jack, then from the jack to the tongue.  With a tandem, it won't be exact because you won't know the exact fulcrum point but if the trailer is perfectly level, you can safely assume that the fulcrum point is somewhere between the two wheels or thereabouts.

Edited by UWSkier

This thread is great.  It legitimately proves with actual data the number of people towing WAY over the capacity of their tow vehicles because they bought into Malibu's totally bogus weight numbers.

My 247 squats my Denali HD, I usually run 25 lbs air in the bags when I pull it. One of the reasons I never pulled it with the Yukon. I have moved it in and out of the shop with my Polaris Ranger a few times, which goes to show you can hook it to anything (just doesn't make it right or safe).

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:28 PM, UWSkier said:

Should be pretty easy to figure out within a ballpark.  Measure the linear length from between the axles to the jack, then from the jack to the tongue.  With a tandem, it won't be exact because you won't know the exact fulcrum point but if the trailer is perfectly level, you can safely assume that the fulcrum point is somewhere between the two wheels or thereabouts.

Yep, so if the J is the distance from the center of the axles to the jack, and T is the distance from the center of the axles to the tongue, your tongue weight will be:

weight on jack x J / T = weight on tongue