Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 Malibu Wakesetter Water pump mount broke

I bought a 2008 WS with 300 hours on it. The previous owner took good care of it... He basically took it to lake Powell once a year for two weeks and then sat it till the following year. I have records of everything Malibu certified mechanics did on the boat. Oil changes on time, everything done through Malibu. I have taken it out 3 times since I bought and on our way in I heard a noise on the engine. So opened the hood and the Water pump bracket was broke and the pump was just dangling. So we got towed in... Next day took it to the nearest Malibu dealer and they call me back saying my Crank shaft is broke?! What the heck... Saying it could be 3k to 16k to fix depending on the damage. He said he can start it. I own a trucking company so I know engines pretty well and the boat was running fine... No knocking..checked engine oil.. Nothing to indicate something that would ruin the engine. Any advice would help. Thank you. From Arlingto, TX

Edited by ADRNmalibu

No, I can get some waiting for them to call me back. All I saw was bracket on right if looking down was broke... Looked like the rod was broke that the impeller sits on to turn. So basically it was just sitting against engine dangling

Huge difference between a crankshaft and a raw water pump bracket. IMO If the crank were broken it would not run and if it did it would be very noisy. I'd have a triple check and look closely at the water pump bracket. Remove the passenger side panels and get in there with a flashlight.

My crank just snapped in my 09 LSV with a hammerhead. The water pump was vibrating really bad when I popped the engine cover. Shut it down and got towed in. Engine would start and run fine on the lift afterwards. It happens more then you think according to my dealer, machine shop, and boat mech. My crank was a crappy cast/forged one.

Got the engine pulled, new solid steel machined crank installed, heavy duty bearings, timing kit, engine re-installed, aligned etc.... for $4200 CDN. My insurance covered nearly half of the repair bill as well. 3 weeks down time. Not bad.

My crank was held together by the bolt that runs from the water pump through the harmonic balancer into the crank. I actually drove the boat for a bit with the crank snapped in half.

My crank just snapped in my 09 LSV with a hammerhead. The water pump was vibrating really bad when I popped the engine cover. Shut it down and got towed in. Engine would start and run fine on the lift afterwards. It happens more then you think according to my dealer, machine shop, and boat mech. My crank was a crappy cast/forged one.

Got the engine pulled, new solid steel machined crank installed, heavy duty bearings, timing kit, engine re-installed, aligned etc.... for $4200 CDN. My insurance covered nearly half of the repair bill as well. 3 weeks down time. Not bad.

Sounds like the same thing... Seriously sucks. I'm hoping the engine is good

I should mention that mine went while just cruising across the lake, no ballast etc... I do run a lot of weight for both wake and surfing but had never had any issues until this point. I would check with your insurance, I was completely shocked when I found out I had a portion of the bill covered.

I should mention that mine went while just cruising across the lake, no ballast etc... I do run a lot of weight for both wake and surfing but had never had any issues until this point. I would check with your insurance, I was completely shocked when I found out I had a portion of the bill covered.

It is shocking that the insurance covered anything from a mechanical, good to know though.