Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raw Water Pump

chris_06ride

When changing out the raw water pump on a 2006 Malibu v-drive.... should the pulley come off with the pump? I pulled the 2 hoses off pump, detached the bracket on the side, and took 3 allen head screws out and tapped the pump but nothing. Im curious if the pump is attached to the pulley or just stuck inside the pulley due to being bolted over time. Any info will help. Thanks

The pump is sometimes VERY hard to remove from the aluminum pulley due to corrosion around between the pump drive and the pulley. Use some penetration spray and some whacks with a hammer to the end of a 2 x 4 or similar to try to break the drive loose from the pulley. I have seen the shaft of the pump break while doing this which causes the need to break out a cutting wheel and a chisel to break apart the drive to remove it. It's cast aluminum so it can be salvaged if this happens. Not a lot of fun but it can be done.

Broke your crankshaft? How? What lead up to breaking your crank, that isn't exactly easy to do.

^^^ this.

That's like saying your face broke a concrete sidewalk when you fell... it's probably possible, but the sidewalk wasn't the only thing to get damaged.

Ok.. I got the raw water pump off but not sure it's correct. Seems the pump slid off the shaft and now the shaft is inside or stuck to the bracket in which I pulled the 3 Allen screws out.. is that bad? Lol looking at the new pump to install the shaft runs threw the bracket to the front of the pump that house the impeller. Took pics but can't post from phone.. basically housing that holds the impeller slid off and shaft with end of bracket is still on.??

Edited by chris_06ride

Looking at a picture sounds like you just pulled the outer housing and bearings off leaving the flange and shaft. Now how you get that off is the same problem you started with. I'd start with a dead blow hammer banging on the shaft from different directions. Don't want to mess up the shaft just in case you can still reassemble/reuse the pump. If you don't care if you break it then you could use a more force, I would hope you can't snap the crank by banging on it with a hammer ;)

post-22501-0-05474800-1438970655_thumb.j

Edited by oldjeep

Yessir that's exactly correct.. just making sure that shaft isn't what guy mentioned above and doesn't matter if it's bent. guess I'll lube and let soak for a bit.. been soaking and banging with 2x4 for a bit and no budge.. I'll continue the process after a cold beer. Thin is kicking my butt.. didn't think would be this bad just being under 10yrs old.

Edited by chris_06ride

Well just broke the shaft... Now really gonna be a pain getting the bracket off.. anti ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yessir that's exactly correct.. just making sure that shaft isn't what guy mentioned above and doesn't matter if it's bent. guess I'll lube and let soak for a bit.. been soaking and banging with 2x4 for a bit and no budge.. I'll continue the process after a cold beer. Thin is kicking my butt.. didn't think would be this bad just being under 10yrs old.

Doesn't matter if it is bent if you are replacing the pump. They are talking about the crank itself snapping off behind the pulley.

Dissimilar metal corrosion. Make sure to slop some anti-seize on the pump flange where it contacts the aluminum pulley when you install the new one.

Well just broke the shaft... Now really gonna be a pain getting the bracket off.. anti ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks

What is left on the engine? Just the flange or the flange and part of the shaft? Picture would help a lot

The bracket is still left inside the pulley and half of the couplings to the bracket...which I am still able to insert the shaft into and still hit with a hammer to maybe free the bracket.

ugh. If it were me I guess I'd be welding a hot bead about 1/4" from the edge all the way around the bracket in the hope that the heat would help free it and when the weld cooled it would suck the perimeter in. Pretty tight to do that though.

Only other idea would be to try to cut the flange into quarters with a dremel, have to be careful not to cut all the way through and nick the pulley though.

See post # 5. I've seen it happen. Exactly as described. Quartering the face of the pump drive as old jeep described is the best way to go. You can use a air powered cutting wheel, just be careful not to cut the aluminum pulley. you don't have to cut the metal completely. Just score it well in several directions then you can go at it with a chisel or small pry bar to break the parts out of the pulley. If you get the front center of the plate broken out you can use a 5/8 socket to remove the aluminum pulley from the crank and remove the remaining parts once it's on a bench.

• Like 2

Got it off with a dremel tool. Cut 1/4s into bracket until I was able to get to 5/8 bolt holding pulley in. Was able to get pulley off and then able to put in Vise and get bracket out. Installed pulley back and Installed new pump with anti seize and got everything together. Ran boat Saturday no more leaking from pump. Thanks for the help bu crew.