Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge actuator failure

My power wedge in my 2013 VTX quit working and displayed an over amperage failure in the starboard actuator. Of course this makes the wedge fail in the down position and cannot be raised by the user. I called the dealer who immediately ordered a replacement part as it is a relatively common failure. The actuator was replaced and still didn't work. Under the advice of Malibu, he has replaced the entire system from the dashboard controls all the way back to the actuators. It still doesn't work. He then isolated other electronics including the stereo to no avail. Now they have suggested to replace all the wiring. I haven't had my boat back in a month and wondered if anyone knew what was wrong. I'm certain an over amperage situation existed as lights in the boat would dim and motors would slow down everytime the actuator would try to engage. The boat itself runs fine and the only other noticeable problem was the fact that the subwoofer (already replaced) remains muddy and over gained but sounded correctly the first summer.

The only major repair work was that the ski pole mount was replaced twice.

Any ideas ?

Sorry to hear... Sounds like it could be the viper control box which monitors and controls almost if not everything may have a bad control board for the actuators. Before rewiring everything, I would definitely suggest this to be done before trying to re-wire the whole boat and see what they say. Seems that could be a very easy swap out and you may find it be the culprit. Hope it is resolved soon and you can get back on the water before the season is over! Best of luck!

Edited by BlackBluMalibu

It's frustrating. Our boat had to have the actuators and module replaced at 50 hours. If these electronics are already problematic while still under warranty I'm nervous for what is coming down the road after years of use and storage. The actuators are prone to failure, you bring it in to the dealer and they replace it with another of the same part.

The viper control box was in fact replaced already. I wondered why Malibu didn't go full hydraulics with these very high load items from the start.....I had a problem with my last malibu that persisted for 3 years, and couldn't be diagnosed by the dealer. Felt like a fuel delivery problem but ended up being solved on this list and was due to a faulty diode in the alternator....if you hear of anything else...let me know

The problem ended up being a short in a wire in a wiring harness. There is no way to really get to it so they re-ran the shorted wire. They replaced both actuators, the viper/servo controllers and the dash board and with those parts excluded were left with a short in the wire....