Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinyl splitting at the seams on 2013 LSV - anyone else having this issue?

daylorb

I've got a 23 LSV, only 137 hours on it, have had it since new. Kept in covered lift, covered up, fairly religious about keeping it clean and treated with 303 on the seats. The back three seats are all split on the seams already. Likely from people stepping on them to get in/out/onto swim deck. It is covered under warranty, and they are going to replace the this fall, but really has me wondering about the longevity of these seats if they are splitting at 137 hours.

Anyone else having this issue? In general I'd call my boat reliable, but now this is both screens replaced, actuators on wedge, swim deck and glue-down pads, vinyl, shaft seal - seems like a lot.

Don't get me wrong - I love this boat - but definitely concerned. Ironically my 2005 Enzo that went 8 years, 300 hours didn't have this issue, and it seems like most consider the vinyl they use on Centurions to be of lesser quality?

Yes, very common. I got two of mine repaired at about 170 hours. Instruct everyone to step away from the piping towards the rear. It seems to be stitched really tight in that spot with no ability to flex and just break. Or get a seat saver

I find it better if you step directly onto the piping, that way it gets compressed along with the vinyl and stitching. If you step away from the piping, the stitching is stretched and allows it to pull through the vinyl. I have a 12' axis with 400hrs and no sign of pulled stitching.

• Like 2

Thanks - disappointing. Is there a middle seat that has a walking track on it like the rear deck? Would love to replace it. I like the seat saver idea, although I hate having extra stuff lying around the boat.

This is pretty sad honestly. Some say its common but I sold a 2004 SSLXI that had one split seam rip on the rear bench about 1" long and the boat had 800 hours and 10 years of use. I really hope its not as common as people state here on newer boats. There is no way to explain, to my 3 children, where to properly step off the rear deck.

I've had two rear seats repaired under warranty also on my 2013 23 LSV. Now a third has separated so I plan on getting it fixed (under warranty) this fall.

Happened to me even with the seat saver. Get a couple weekends with a lot of traffic, aka kids, and it "seams" like it happens quickly. If it were just me and the wife that take it out, I don't think there would ever be a problem. But when you start putting people in there that don't know any better, that's when it starts to become an issue. I try my best to teach them where to step, but doesn't always work. Most of the time they will step on the seat saver then onto the seat next to it, then onto the floor......It drives me nuts! I almost need to line the whole back seat with multiple seat savers.

Are all the seams that are coming apart single stitched?

How come Malibu doesnt have walk throughs like everyone else

MALIBU's biggest weakness will be interior vinyl and walkway....but for 2016 I think the Vinyl is going to be a huge upgrade. I was able to feel it the other day...completely different!

Happens on my 06. Looks like we've got a long history of this happening on bu's. I have some helpful advice that has kept me from having to replace it a second time.

I replaced 1 of the 3 that have split so far. I bought a seat saver to protect that one. Know what I have found by having a seat saver? People will stand on one of the seats that doesn't have the seat saver on it. On this seat that doesnt have the seat saver there will be very visible and clear rips in the seat. This indicates to the person they should stand here because rips mark the spot. While doing this they tell me a very important story that must be told while standing on the seat (apparently). Their story is enthralling, goes on a long time with twists and turns that are exciting for all to hear.

I find these people also LOVE to put fins down on the vinyl on the sunpad and store their wakeskates they don't even ride while out in the rear lockers, fins down, so they're pointed right toward my fatsacs.

I also find these people LOVE to "help" pick up wakeboards for riders alongside the boat so when the WET wakeboard slips out of their SUNSCREEN COATED fingers the fins gouge the gelcoat the whole way down. You see this method is far superior to just letting the rider take the board up with them in the back where there is no gel scratching concerns because:

1. The rider has just ridden an entire set and has all the sunscreen washed out of their hands so they aren't properly equipped to pick up a wakeboard anymore because it might stay in their hands
  2. The rider literally just got done practicing grabbing the board for 20 minutes... so we all know they aren't warmed up for this activity and we must prevent them from straining themselves.

Ah yes, the helpful advice on not having to replace torn seats anymore?

p7h7w.jpg

OR

p7h6g.jpg

Edited by wakeboarder3780
  • Like 2

Even after the 3 year warranty is expired (5 years now on the 16 models) its pretty cheap to have a new skin installed. My BIL has a MC that had to have some vinyl replaced after about 5 years of use, it is not uncommon for those corner seats even on other boat brands to eventually have a problem. So far after 108 hours on my current 22 VLX it has been fine, time will tell, maybe they added some extra stitches to the '15 models?

• 4 weeks later...

all 3 seams on my '14 LSV are tearing. :cry: We bought it new in the off season ,have put 84 hours on it. The old Malibu we had for 4 years, 270 hours, not a single tear.

Doesn't sound like it will be an issue for the dealer to warranty, but hate to have to replace the seats every year.

That seat saver above ^ could use a redesign.

i always keep a throwable where ppl step in the boat, however short summer of use and 60hrs (of real use for the boat previous owner and me) and i can see it starting to happen on the back seat.

one thing i learned that makes a HUGE difference is if you have heated storage during winter months, when you start getting down to -20F bad things happen to that vinyl come following season. On my 1991 the vinyl was good until i didnt do heated storage one year it was a bad winter and seemed like that spring it somehow just started going bad everywhere ripping, pulling apart etc..

i wish they still had the 3-door hatch system with the walk over.

what i "try" and do when possible is keep a cushion on the back seat but i feel your pain. seems for the price vinyl should be thicker/better for sure.

that is one thing i do love about the nautiques is the walk through but your down a seat.

another thing i did was make an aluminum pizza tray which allows us to walk through the engine compartment when hatches are up and saves on the hatches, My idea for winter is to make a board with some EVA decking to swap out the back center cushion with so you can step on that rather than the seat cushion and then swap it out when needed.

good luck its a boat...money pit..

Edited by The Hulk

It might be time for Malibu to address this problem, its nice they cover it under warranty but also needs to be fixed in production to avoid this happening in the future. They must have some idea there is a problem with all the warranty claims on this.

If you want a whiskey tango repair job, you can use gorilla super glue and mend the seam back up. I did it on my 2013 until the end of the season and it held with no problems.