Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tragedy close to my home

CJAY

Over the weekend we had a tragedy at one of the lakes about 3 hours north. Poor kid got bounced out of the bow of a G23 and caught up in the prop. He has to be the luckiest kid ever, because he survived, but he has some serious injuries. If you guys can check out this site and donate if you're able. Much appreciated

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/4pp9/tristen-tyler-welsh-reaching-out-to-all-colorado-and-wyoming-boaters-

I went over the front of a moving boat once. Prop got my arm and I have a pretty killer scar on an otherwise wimpy looking right bicep. The link wouldn't load for me.

This is tragic. And I am going to get damned for this but I have to ask; how can you afford a g23 but not medical bills?

Thought the exact same thing. Probably one of those 20 year boat loan types...
  • Like 2

On Monday I watched an idiot in a 23' I/O intensionally jump the wake of a 65' boat plowing a solid 4' wave. There were 4 kids in the bow. I could not believe my eyes when they turned around and hit it a 2nd and 3rd time. Lucky for them this wasn't the result. I was watching from my dock in horror thinking the worst would happen.

This is very sad. I hope the little guy has a full recovery.

• Like 2

This is tragic. And I am going to get damned for this but I have to ask; how can you afford a g23 but not medical bills?

Could have a high deductible medical plan.

wouldn't the boat owner's liability coverage at least cover some medical expenses?

Good point - sounds like mine would - mine has a $5000 limit with a $500 deductible on it, which seems like it would be good for paying all but $500 of an HDHP deductible.

"Boat medical payments coverage pays medical expenses up to the limits in the policy for you, your resident relatives, and other occupants of the boat injured by an accident arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of the watercraft."

Obamacare....need I say more?

• Like 3

I'm trying to figure out what happened, did they run aground, and throw him forward? I used to make my kiids face forwards, backs against the cushions in the A22, but with no room for the third in the front facing that way in the VLX, I have gotten to where I let one sit with her back at the front of the bow. I had assumed that if they got tossed "up," then it was also pitch them rearward. I'm starting to question that, now.

As for the rest, some insurance companies have something like a 20% co-pay, if I'm not mistaken. They are trying to raise $15,000. Depending on what happened, it isn't hard to imagine a $90,000 bill.

Also good to see a fisherman take him to an ambulance. One darn near ran over one of my kids yesterday and her friend at about 50MPH, 30' from where they fell (tube, yes I know, but the friend......), only to coast into his spot about 50' after he passed us. They really don't like us around here.

If you can afford a 100k+ boat, you should be able to afford a high deductible medical plan as well.

The kid has already had 3 surgeries, with more to come. I have no idea their financial status, but to say that they can afford huge medical bills just because they have a G is pretty damn short sighted IMO. Medical bills can easily make some one well off bankrupt. I'm sure the boat liability coverage will cover some, and hopefully they had an umbrella policy. That all said first thing I thought of was my kids, and I know it would be a rough time for us.

• Like 3

The kid has already had 3 surgeries, with more to come. I have no idea their financial status, but to say that they can afford huge medical bills just because they have a G is pretty damn short sighted IMO. Medical bills can easily make some one well off bankrupt. I'm sure the boat liability coverage will cover some, and hopefully they had an umbrella policy. That all said first thing I thought of was my kids, and I know it would be a rough time for us.

Average ACA deductible is $6000 for individuals, $10K for family plans.

Average ACA deductible is $6000 for individuals, $10K for family plans.

According to obamacarefacts.com (so it must be true!):

The ACA limits out-of-pocket maximums, the max amount of costs for covered services you’ll pay out-of-pocket in a policy period on your health plan. In 2015, your out-of-pocket maximum can be no more than $6,600 for an individual plan and $13,200 for a family plan before marketplace subsidies.

According to obamacarefacts.com (so it must be true!):

and what plan do you think 80% of respondents choose after their original insurance with lower deductibles was replaced with plans that cost more and offer less services? Dont think this one is rocket surgery.....

Just as an FYI I started this fundraiser for the family. The family did not. I do not know this family or their fininacial status, I just want to help, in some way for this boy. This is more about caring and coming together. No amount of money can actually help this situation. I cry for this boy who cries in pain, I cry for the mother and father who have to watch it. How do you help?!? How do you somehow show people you care, without even knowing them?!?! This poor boy has a long road ahead and may not be able to walk with out braces on his legs but you have the audacity to question his parents financial status! I know you are short sighted and just don't get it, but understand that there are people out there that care. What's sad I would probably do the same thing for you or your family because I believe in humanity and the GOOD in people.

Edited by Jhale
  • Like 3

Just as an FYI I started this fundraiser for the family. The family did not. I do not know this family or their fininacial status, I just want to help, in some way for this boy. This is more about caring and coming together. No amount of money can actually help this situation. I cry for this boy who cries in pain, I cry for the mother and father who have to watch it. How do you help?!? How do you somehow show people you care, without even knowing them?!?! This poor boy has a long road ahead and may not be able to walk with out braces on his legs but you have the audacity to question his parents financial status! I know you are short sighted and just don't get it, but understand that there are people out there that care. What's sad I would probably do the same thing for you or your family because I believe in humanity and the GOOD in people.