Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Injectors Cleaned

Contemplating getting my Yukon done. I should have sent them in during the engine rebuild, but a 24 hour turn around is nothing to complain about.

I do most maintenance myself (fluids, belts plug, wires, impeller, cap rotor), but have not tackled pulling the injectors, anyone have some DIY instructions for pulling them?

I do most maintenance myself (fluids, belts plug, wires, impeller, cap rotor), but have not tackled pulling the injectors, anyone have some DIY instructions for pulling them?

On my Monsoon II, I confirmed the perko battery switch to be in the off position. I found the shrader valved and used a small screw driver to depress the valve and release the fuel pressure. The fuel rails are held down by two allen screws under each rail. I removed the allen screws catching the large metal spacer between the rail and the intake manifold. Then I lifted the rail and the injectors popped out of the holes in the intake manifold and were hanging from the fuel rails. I disconnected each electric connection, and marked each with a permanent marked with the cylinder number, then I pulled the injector down and popped it out of the fuel rail and put each in a separate bag numbered by cylinder number.

• Like 2

I sent them by two day UPS on Tuesday, got them back today (day 8) most of that time was shipping and a weekend

Nice. I need to do that for my daughters 160k wrangler, pretty sure that it has one drippy injector.

Nice write up. Pretty cool to see the test sheet before and after. I've been thinking about doing this as well. I get a little random sputter around 3000 rpm. I've replaced both fuel filter, cap and rotor. Maybe I've got some water in the tank. Good to know its not too expensive to have them bench tested and rebuilt.

Have also been thinking about this - very interested in hearing how they work after the re-install...

Seems like a project for when the boat is ready for the fall.

Put the rebuilt injectors back in this evening. Hooked the boat to the hose and once primed it started quickly and sounded good. Will take it out for a run around the lake tomorrow evening.

I also am looking forward at the outcome. I think I need to do the same on my ski buds boat. I can not get a good idle quality but the engine is running very good at anything over idle. Thanks for a good post.

Well, that didn't work. Launched, engine start✔️, backed off trailer. Idled out about 3 mins. Accelerate to 2000 rpms and boat dies. Restart no problem, accelerate to 2000 and it dies. I think it backfired. Restart idle back to dock sounds fine get to dock and it dies. Put on trailer and return to base.

I will get a fuel pressure gauge on it Mon or tues. I guess I should check and see if I got the wires crossed somehow. Very strange.

Edited by Bozboat

Even though your injectors bank fire, I can see how it would definitely not run well if you got two swapped to the wrong banks. I think I would start there.

Boz -

I just checked mine, and the useful injector wire colors are (from front to back):

Starboard - Green, Blue, Blue, Green

Port - Blue, Green, Green, Blue

Even though your injectors bank fire, I can see how it would definitely not run well if you got two swapped to the wrong banks. I think I would start there.

There is no way I got the two rails cross wired, I guess it's possible if I got cylinder 1&3 or 3&5 switched on the same rail, but I doubt think so as I numbered them when I pulled them off. The odd thing is the boat seems to die when it runs thru the fuel that is primed into the rails at key up. I will pick up a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow, seem unlikely that the fuel pump went bad but I supposed I need to rule that in or out first.

Boz -

I just checked mine, and the useful injector wire colors are (from front to back):

Starboard - Green, Blue, Blue, Green

Port - Blue, Green, Green, Blue

That is good information, big thanks. I should have time to look into this tonight.