Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Upgrade Options

bdhtree

Hey crew, I would love some surf gear advice -

I just started surfing this season, and am really enjoying it. My current board is a Hyperlite Broadcast that my dealer cut me a great price on at the end of last season and has served our needs teaching newbies to ride and get ropeless. I was thinking that I would ride it all season and upgrade for next year but now I'm getting the itch :) I can carve pretty well, and am pretty close to riding out a 360 on my small-ish wave so I think I am getting to the point where a better board could do me some good. I like the surf style feel of the broadcast but I am certainly open to trying skim.

The big question is, should I pick up a somewhat better board that would facilitate my beginner status - like a used P5 Oogle for ~$350 - or hold out and get a deal on something more expensive/better at the end of the season? There seems to be some pretty negative opinions of the broadcast on this forum so I am wondering if riding it the rest of the season is going to hold me back from learning more.

I haven't had much luck finding used boards in this area so the choices are limited. My budget is kind of tight but I would be willing to spend on the right board, its just that without trying them first these big $$ boards are making me hesitate. I am in Cincinnati, and haven't found a good place to demo boards. My dealer told me that they would lend a board out to try with the implied result that I buy one from them so I'm not thinking that's a good option.

P.S. This is my first new thread, but I have been a crew member for a while. Thanks in advance!

Well I don't know if I'm right. But on my side I prefer to buy directly the good board, even if it turns more expensive on direct purchase, than buying several intermediates board which at the end will be more expensive than the good one.

First board I had was a Ronix Cortez. With this one I learnt surfing Ropeless. And the season after I bought a P5 Danielo carbon. After a year I decided than I also wish to have a surf style board so I ordered last year a soulcraft.

I m more than happy with these two boards, and I don't thing I will change them soon. So it is an investment. But 4-6 x 350$ are finally more expensive ;-)

Maybe the best will be to demo a skim and surf in order to find which one fits the best for you.

Edited by smooky

As a follow-up: If anyone knows of a good way to get demo boards or a good event I can drive to (within ~3 hours) I would appreciate the info. I can get to Cumberland or probably Norris for a long weekend if need be. Southern Michigan lakes are pretty easy as well.

I like the surf style feel of the broadcast but I am certainly open to trying skim.

As a heads up, the Broadcast is actually a skim shape. It's just a tri-fin skim.

Well I don't know if I'm right. But on my side I prefer to buy directly the good board, even if it turns more expensive on direct purchase, than buying several intermediates board which at the end will be more expensive than the good one.

First board I had was a Ronix Cortez. With this one I learnt surfing Ropeless. And the season after I bought a P5 Danielo carbon. After a year I decided than I also wish to have a surf style board so I ordered last year a soulcraft.

I m more than happy with these two boards, and I don't thing I will change them soon. So it is an investment. But 4-6 x 350$ are finally more expensive ;-)

Maybe the best will be to demo a skim and surf in order to find which one fits the best for you.

good advice here. i bought a hyperlite broadcast ($300) 3 years ago and my girlfriend bought a hyperlite landlock ($300) last year when she was learning to surf. we outgrew them pretty quick and picked up a P5 Danielo Pro Carbon this spring and absolutely love it. her board has been relinquished to teaching newbies how to surf, while mine just sits there in the rack all summer. so i agree with the above post...find a board that you won't outgrow for a while, spend a little extra now to save later.

As a follow-up: If anyone knows of a good way to get demo boards or a good event I can drive to (within ~3 hours) I would appreciate the info. I can get to Cumberland or probably Norris for a long weekend if need be. Southern Michigan lakes are pretty easy as well.

The Edge in Portage, MI will help you out with boards, etc. great knowledgeable staff. Once in the area there are several lakes nearby to choose from.

The Edge in Portage, MI will help you out with boards, etc. great knowledgeable staff. Once in the area there are several lakes nearby to choose from.

Check out Doomswell boards (http://www.doomswell.com/). I ride 2 of these boards (Neo and Nub Step). very responsive boards.

or : http://www.soulcraftboarding.com

I ordered two boards from them. Jeff (the owner) is very nice, helpful, and high customer service. I ordered my surf style board there, and 3 months after, I ordered one for my wife.

I was in touch with doomswell as well, but didn't go with them as they were quoting shipping costs (for aboard) for the same amount of the board. Jeff was the only one who had reasonable shipping costs , and it is the reason why I decided to work with him.

If you want a surf style board, I'm sure you can't go wrong with these two brands.

But as I said before, it is a investment, but it worth it. Jeff told me, if your wife is happy with the board, it means more time on the water, and more time on the water means more surfing for you :biggrin:

Edited by smooky

As a heads up, the Broadcast is actually a skim shape. It's just a tri-fin skim.

Thanks for the info, sounds like I need to try some different boards out before I make a decision on something more expensive. I have tried to read up on options here, but its been hard to figure out which style I should lean towards

I like the Broadcast feel, but I have only ridden two other boards (both liquidforce and smaller, can't remember what they were called). I have been playing around with the broadcast after removing the middle fin, but I'm not quite used to how loose it is yet.

I guess the hunt is on for some good demo options!

Thanks for the info, sounds like I need to try some different boards out before I make a decision on something more expensive. I have tried to read up on options here, but its been hard to figure out which style I should lean towards

I like the Broadcast feel, but I have only ridden two other boards (both liquidforce and smaller, can't remember what they were called). I have been playing around with the broadcast after removing the middle fin, but I'm not quite used to how loose it is yet.

I guess the hunt is on for some good demo options!

Try the broadcast with just a small fin in the back. The board works pretty well like that. It will give you a feel for a skimboard to see if you like it, but obviously it will be a bit slower and less responsive than a higher end board. Give it a couple sets like that. Focus on using your toe edge to keep control.