Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Soulcraft Fangtail 4'8" or IS Flyboy

Brodie

On my local CL, both these boards are for sale used. Can anyone compare/contrast the two for me? I haven't ridden either, but looking for a surf style board that is playful and fast. I have ridden the Sweet Spot Pro and the Ronix Carbon Thruster (4'7") and really liked both. I am 6'0" 200lbs and consider myself an intermediate, working on airs and spins.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Edited by Brodie

I wish I could compare the two for you but I can't. I can only tell you what the fangtail is like.

The fangtail ridden with twinzers is one of the looser surf style boards I've ridden. It airs well and spins well as a result. It might be a good match for you.

It's fast enough down the line but when pumping it's really fast. Easy to gain speed with it.

I have ridden with it for a number of years. It's holding up extremely well and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon. I have a long ways to go before I reach the limits of this board.

I got my first 3 this summer and maybe 15 more now...so ya it spins fine. It's all about the rider now for me :)

• Like 2

I found better deals on evo.com outlet than I did on the local CL.

FYI, the Flyboy is $700 and the Soulcraft is $550. Both are about 3-4 years old, so not cheap by any means.

Edited by Brodie

FYI, the Flyboy is $700 and the Soulcraft is $550. Both are about 3-4 years old, so not cheap by any means.

Thats a really good price on the Soulcraft if it isnt damaged. New ones never go on sale, and it is really rare to find used ones.

I have not ridden the fang tail, but I have rode a 4'8 soulcraft jetty. The flyboy is way more responsive than the jetty, beginners have a hard time on the flyboy. You will be at the weight limit on the flyboy, not the soulcraft. The soulcraft looks like the better buy. I have owned 2 fly boys, and they are great boards when you get used to them. If it is an older flyboy it will be a lb lighter than a brand new one, a big plus! Recently bought a phase 5 wire. Super fun board, ( sorry guys, couldn't wait for a soulcraft). The flyboy rides completely different than the sweet spot.

Edited by surfdude

Brodie, if it is a original flyboy made by the Walker family, I would like to buy it, if you could send me the post. I can't find it on Craigslist. Thanks, Surfdude.

Edited by surfdude

Brodie, if it is a original flyboy made by the Walker family, I would like to buy it, if you could send me the post. I can't find it on Craigslist. Thanks, Surfdude.

No, it is an Inland Surfer Flyboy. The yellow and red one.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/spo/5143908114.html

Edited by Brodie

I have not ridden the fang tail, but I have rode a 4'8 soulcraft jetty. The flyboy is way more responsive than the jetty, beginners have a hard time on the flyboy. You will be at the weight limit on the flyboy, not the soulcraft. The soulcraft looks like the better buy. I have owned 2 fly boys, and they are great boards when you get used to them. If it is an older flyboy it will be a lb lighter than a brand new one, a big plus! Recently bought a phase 5 wire. Super fun board, ( sorry guys, couldn't wait for a soulcraft). The flyboy rides completely different than the sweet spot.

Can you describe how it's different? Am I too big for the Flyboy?

Sweetspot has rocket rocker, flyboy has a three stage rocker and shorter. Fly boy is way less forgiving. Kinda like comparing a Camaro to a Porsche Cayman S. You could ride it, but I think the soulcraft is a better length for your weight. They make a flyboy big boy for 200 and above. All the soulcrafts are different, and I think that the fangtail is a higher performing board than the one I tryed. 4"8 is a good length for someone your size.

• Like 2