Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Let's try THIS...anyone one been stopped for overweight while surfing?

triscadek

Oregon. Owyhee Reservoir. Cop pulled up on a jetski and asked for the title, safety compliance, temporary usage license (common to boaters from outside OR), life jacket requirement and capacity. We had 14 and could hold 15.

Yep, TriCities Hydro Races. 94 MC Prostar 205 & a 2000 Response. Both with ballast & 4 people in each boat, both riding a little low. The ProStar used lead and water, all of which was hidden in the floor or under seats. The Response had a fat sac on each side of the engine, which the Coast Guard clearly did not like. I'm sure they wouldn't like the lead & locker sac either, but they never saw it.

No tickets or citations. They just made the Response driver drain his ballast.

Overweight??? Isn't that plaque a guide to tell you optimum weight needed per side? 2500 (per side) is about right for a great wave.

A buddy gets stopped regularly, they simply tell him to drain a bit off weight. They don't get too picky here usually, unless rub rail is under water.

Or holiday weekends, then they stop people regularly, primarily doing sobriety checks.

Edited by DarkSide

Glad to know there haven't been any citations given, usually in order to get a decent wake out of mine, the rub rail is just At the water toward the back corner.

At Lake Billy Chinook marine patrol took out calculator to see if we were over capacity on my old boat. I had removed the plaque so he estimated it. we had 4 little kids and 4 adults so we were under the actual weight, but over the number of people. I am certain he would have never let me launch had I not removed it.

At Lake Billy Chinook marine patrol took out calculator to see if we were over capacity on my old boat. I had removed the plaque so he estimated it. we had 4 little kids and 4 adults so we were under the actual weight, but over the number of people. I am certain he would have never let me launch had I not removed it.

I thought it was illegal to remove the plaque.

I thought it was illegal to remove the plaque.

Not even legally required to have it unless your boat is under 20ft. This is the USCG rule:

"CAPACITY LABELS

REQUIREMENTS FOR CAPACITY LABEL – Monohull

boats less than 20 feet, and built after October 31, 1972

must have a capacity label affixed. This is the responsibility

of the manufacturer. Kayaks, sailboats, inflatables, and

canoes are exempt from this requirement. While Federal

Regulations do not prohibit the boat operator from

exceeding these capacities, state law may prohibit it. Check

with your state’s boating authority."

Now your state may have some other requirement, but from a federal standpoint you don't have to have it.

Edited by oldjeep

From the camp hosts to the lake patrol. You know your stepping into Nazi territory when you go to lake billy.

From the camp hosts to the lake patrol. You know your stepping into Nazi territory when you go to lake billy.

We are headed over for the day sometime next week to run the ski course.

Mine came with the plaque for the 23'. Yet to get to 13 people in my little ride but I guess I'll have a little cover when I have my turn being harassed.

If they ever pull me over for that...I'll be like..."Just take me in "

You have an advantage. Ninjas are stealthy.

I personally prefer the Jedi mind trick. "This is not the boat your looking for"

• Like 2