Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom Ski Recommendations

emstevens44

1st post!!! Been lurking for a bit and finally have a reason to post.

I started slalom skiing when I was about 14, only open water never a course, never really had access to one. But I skied very aggressively carving turn by turn. By the time I was about 24 my father sold our crappy old Bayleiner and I was only skiing once or twice a year, if that, behind a friends boat. Fast forward to 11 years later, I bought a Malibu Sunsetter 2001 last year and got back into skiing. I still have my childhood slalom ski - Connelly Kevlar Pro Wingtail. I think it was purchased for my older brother in the mid to late 80s. It's old but I like the way it turns and its feel on flat water. Unfortunately I have "grown" outwards, only 5'-9" but weighing in at 230 (working on that though) and it's time to get a new ski that handles my body weight better. I've been struggling getting up on 1, been dropping a ski which is a complete PIA in my opinion. I typically ski at 32 as I like the size of the wake on my boat, any slower and you are jumping. I tried a friends brand new Obrien Siege, I think. I liked the feel on the water although felt a bit slow, turns were good, but crossing the wake was a nightmare. Ski was kicking up so much spray I was crossing completely blind. I also tried a friends Connelly Concept, about 3 years old, turning scared the crap out of me because it felt so fast. I would whip it around have to much slack, probably due to bad form, and then get jolted across the wake again blinded by water spray.

I have been reading a lot about the wider skis, not the behemoths though, and was hoping someone might have some input on them or be familiar with the way my old connelley feels and getting a ski that is close to it.

My thoughts in order of preference are (due to my weight looking for 69" length):

1. Radar Theory

2. HO Freeride

3. Radar P6 - (to wide??)

4. Connelly Outlaw

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've got a Senate and P6 in a 67. If you are skiing open water and having trouble getting up then i doubt you would notice the difference except on the start where the extra width would help.

Any new ski is going to be a dramatic improvement over your old one.

Visually this is the difference between the 2

WP_20140404_004.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

In the Radar line, I would say the Theory or the Senate would be ones that you would be happy with. I think you would not enjoy the P6.

Skis and bindings have vastly improved over the past 30yrs.

After researching the same topic on this forum over the winter, I decided on the Radar Theory 69 inch. I am 5-10 195 pounds and only open water ski. Before the upgrade, I was skiing on 1980's O'Brien Skis and also found it difficult getting up on one ski. Now, I have no problem getting up. I think this ski is as perfect for me and my ability level as it gets.

If it's available to you, find a private lake and take a few lessons - most programs can help set you up with a ski to fit your build and slyle. I'm 57, skiing since 16. Got smart and took lessons at 40 - been improving ever since.

Yeper everything you are having issues with are ................ yep your fault not a ski! So some work on form, holding an edge body position. can fix it all.

With that said a new ski can be fun. If you get into skiing with good form you may not wish for a wide ski. Same with deep water starts. Get the basics down and your size is not the stopper.

What is your location? near mid Michigan? if so we can get you fixed up. :biggrin:

Last year I bought a 65" Connelly Outlaw, just love it. I'm 61, started at 10, height 6', weigh 170. Was skiing on a Connelly HP for rmany years, went to a Connelly Mid SX for easier starts. I ski at 32 MPH, 15 off. Starts were easy with the Mid SX but it was just too slow for me - did not accelerate much did not slow down much either. Went back and tried my old HP - it was a ton of work, then tried a concept, seemed similar but a little more sluggish, still a lot of work. Goldilocks - I then went to the Outlaw - it is just right - not as fast as the HP but much more pleasant to ski on. Much better response than the Mid SX. And...I just love the binding with the clamp arrangement - easy to get on and off. It is a little harder to get up on than the Mid SX - I start by dragging a foot. Good luck - try one ahead of time if you can - I did not and took a chance.

First post here too!

I second the Theory/Senate recommendations...the Theory being the wider of the two. I have a Senate and a Freeride (newer, non "Comp") and, of the two, would recommend the Senate. The Freeride is fun and you can ride it forever, but it doesn't have the precision that some of the other recommended skis do.

Lessons will take you further than an equipment change will. Even having someone in the boat who can really ski well in a course would be a big benefit. You can cross the wake smoothly behind your boat on a Big Daddy if you're in a balanced, stacked position. I've been an open water skier for almost 30 years and recent lessons were humbling but thoroughly beneficial. Totally changed how I ski and solved some problems I've always had.

Edited by Porkfight

I use a KD ski but don't remember which one but think it is a 3000. I can't comment on what I like though since I really don't know. I also have the HO comp free ride as well with rtp but have not used it in awhile. One thing I have learned I do like is a double boot system. Also, like you I bought an 01 SSVLX with diamond hull for its skiing ability. Which prop do you currently use and what rpm do you go when at 32?

I have a tendency to go off edge when crossing the wake and that makes my ski jump a bit.

I am skiing an old Radar Strada with double Strada boots that I love. Forgot my liners last night and hopped on a Senate and was surprised how different they felt. That ski was also RTP, not double boot. Senate or Freeride would both be good choices. My Strada is de-laminating in the front middle, so that is an unwelcome problem. Not sure if there is a difference in brands for support or construction. Got mine off eBay used, so that is what I get I suppose. Something to consider.

Action Water here in Michigan has a demo program you can ski different sticks and then decide.

I use a KD ski but don't remember which one but think it is a 3000. I can't comment on what I like though since I really don't know. I also have the HO comp free ride as well with rtp but have not used it in awhile. One thing I have learned I do like is a double boot system. Also, like you I bought an 01 SSVLX with diamond hull for its skiing ability. Which prop do you currently use and what rpm do you go when at 32?

I have a tendency to go off edge when crossing the wake and that makes my ski jump a bit.

Wish I knew the RPM but my tach needs to be replaced. As or the prop it is a 3 blade stainless. My Sunsetter is not the VLX or the LX it is just a Sunsetter, I am not sure of the hull type. I have read the post that shows you the difference but have not looked that closely at it.

I have been skiing on a HO Burner that's about 15 years old or so. I picked up a 67, HO Superlite CX last night. I have yet to ski on but everyone that I've talked to loves it. I'll know more this next week when I go on vacation.

• Like 1

Thanks or all the responses. Just want to make it clear, I am not looking for a ski to better my ability as I know I need to work on my form. I like my old ski but thought it was time to upgrade. My thoughts are to go with the Radar Theory, as long as I can find a decent price. I am not sure of a place where I can demo around here but I guess I really haven't looked very hard.

I suppose if I didn't like it, hard to believe as anything has to be better then an 80s ski, I can always offer it up for sale at ski-it-again.

• 6 months later...

My first slalom ski, which I also learnt to step start and run course on was a HO freeride at 32 off whilst still a very stable, boyant ski that still has potential to be ridden hard and responds well even if you make a mistake.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 69" HO Triumph (now called the Ho TX) I bought it so that both me (6' 190lbs) and my dad (6' 230lb) could both ski. Its a great ski, a little wider so easy to get up on and it still turns hard. I am looking to buy a new slalom ski just for myself though, and will probably go narrower and shorter too, 67" ski, when I buy a new one.

• 10 months later...

I've had the burner, and the triumph but I'm now on the 67" CX and it's much better. Fast ski and doesn't throw me. I haven't tired the lite but I'm not skiing the course so much these days