Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a new boat cover

Lpraza

Hi guys , i got a 03 walesetter vlx with a swoop tower but i can't find a place where i can order a new bost cover . They have all model and yesr except mine. I try a universal bost cover but it was a mess and dosen't fit with the waletower. Is there any body who have a boat like mine and purchased a new one ?

Look at Westland Boat Covers. I have purchased two of them (sharkskin plus) through Mike from "Bald Mikes" and they have been great.

http://www.baldmikes.com/

Looks like they have custom covers for your boat with the swoop tower.

I'd recommend buying a few of the support poles and support pole vents as well.

I went with skiboatcovers.com for mine because I didn't have the luxury to wait for an evolution cover. Pretty good turn around and they will take your tower measurments and modify a stock cover to fit with your tower. Overall I'm pretty happy with the cover I got.

I need to write a little app that scrubs this site for "need a boat cover" threads and auto reply's with

www.evolutioncovers.com

As long as it adds - if you have $1000 for a cover and don't need it anytime soon ;)

If Westland makes an exact fit then that would be a pretty economical option. Iboats has a lot of sales on their stuff. Cover for my last boat was a Westland sharkskin plus cover, fit well and decent for the $400 I paid for it on sale.

As long as it adds - if you have $1000 for a cover and don't need it anytime soon ;)

For sure. I paid $390 for my custom Westland and it has a 5 yr warranty. I'm sure it's lower quality than Evolution, but it surely does the job for a fraction of the price, and doesn't bother me as much when it gets dirt or bird crap on it.

I just got my cover from Cory, and it is great. That being said, my old cover had a feature I liked better - Cory put two splices in the rope to get around my 4 tower legs while my old cover only had 1. My old cover also covered the teak swim platform whereas now it is exposed to the sun.

So yes, Cory is great, but frankly a cheaper cover may be the way to go for some people. If you aren't trailering much and just have your boat covered while on a covered lift, I'd recommend something besides an evolution cover - you'll save a few bucks and likely get it quicker.

Out of curiosity, how dis your old cover do it with one splice? Or do you mean one per side vs 2 per side? Both covers for my old 4 leg tower and my g3 tower have one on each side by the Velcro you open to get around the leg(s)

Edited by oldjeep

I meant 1 per side. Cory spliced the rope at each velcro/zipper splice for the tower legs (total of 4 including both sides), whereas my old cover had 4 total velco splices, but only 2 total rope splices, as it had a single rope splice on each side between the tower legs.

I meant 1 per side. Cory spliced the rope at each velcro/zipper splice for the tower legs (total of 4 including both sides), whereas my old cover had 4 total velco splices, but only 2 total rope splices, as it had a single rope splice on each side between the tower legs.

Ah, ok that makes sense. Yes that would be kind of a pain, my 4 legged Westland tower cover had one rope splice on each side of the boat.

Best thing in my opinion is to have a custom sunbrella boat cover made. I had one made for my boat about 4 years ago and still looks new and I have my boat stored outside too. Nice thing is that it's towable, good fit and should last you ten years. I spent about $1200 on it, so it's a little pricy.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this seems like a dumb question but what makes a great cover? My boat is stored in the garage year-round and towed to all the lakes around so I need a towable. When i bought my boat the cover that came with it was not an OEM cover. It is a lighter weight material and seems to just kind of slide all over the place until it's in place and without 2 people working it on or off, it's almost impossible to put on. It also has the tie-downs to the trailer which I have tried just about everything to get them to not beat the gel but each time they leave their mark. After my last 1200 mile trip I decided it was time to find a solution to whipping tie-downs (I did try to shrink wrap the boat and that eventually shredded off).

Anyway I don't really want a new cover because the boat sits in the garage but I think I am looking for a tiedown-less cover. I know I've heard great things about evolution covers but what makes them better than a Bakes cover, a new OEM cover, or some other option?

I have an 06 LSV

you can find semi-customer covers for the swoop tower all day, now try finding one for a '01 lsv with the Titan Series 1, I'v been looking all summer with no luck.

When I bought the boat they said the cover was in the ski locker, after driving across 5 states and putting the cover on when I got home I realized it was a malibu cover for a 21ft boat..

Edited by mountaineerhill

you can find semi-customer covers for the swoop tower all day, now try finding one for a '01 lsv with the Titan Series 1, I'v been looking all summer with no luck.

When I bought the boat they said the cover was in the ski locker, after driving across 5 states and putting the cover on when I got home I realized it was a malibu cover for a 21ft boat..

Still have that 21' cover? Drawstring or snaps? How does it fit around or over tower? Condition? May be interested.

Thanks!

Still have that 21' cover? Drawstring or snaps? How does it fit around or over tower? Condition? May be interested.

Thanks!

Its a factory Malibu cover, i will get some pictures and measurements after work. It has two ratchet straps in the back. I have it tucked away after I found out there was no way it was going to work for my setup .

Well found a tag tonight. It's a Factory cover made to fit a '10-'12 sunscape 21 LSV / wakesetter 21 VLX. W/ illusion G3 tower

Why the dealer gave me this when I bought a '01 23LSV is beyond me.... I'v already tried to fix some other issues with zero luck. So it's for sale, I need to find a cover for my boat

Edited by mountaineerhill

I know this seems like a dumb question but what makes a great cover? My boat is stored in the garage year-round and towed to all the lakes around so I need a towable. When i bought my boat the cover that came with it was not an OEM cover. It is a lighter weight material and seems to just kind of slide all over the place until it's in place and without 2 people working it on or off, it's almost impossible to put on. It also has the tie-downs to the trailer which I have tried just about everything to get them to not beat the gel but each time they leave their mark. After my last 1200 mile trip I decided it was time to find a solution to whipping tie-downs (I did try to shrink wrap the boat and that eventually shredded off).

Anyway I don't really want a new cover because the boat sits in the garage but I think I am looking for a tiedown-less cover. I know I've heard great things about evolution covers but what makes them better than a Bakes cover, a new OEM cover, or some other option?

I have an 06 LSV

I didn't see anyone respond, so I'll take a stab at it.

The features below are on an Evo cover, but I don't know how it compares to other brands.

No poles. The Evo fits tight enough no "tent poles" are needed to make it shed water. I can put the Evo on without getting in the boat, whereas my old cover I had to be in the boat to stand the pole up.

No ties to the trailer for towing.

The Evo has fabric covered rigid hooks that grab the rub rail from side to side. They are adjustable to keep side to side tightness on the cover before you even start to cinch up the band/rope around the rub rail. (Note, you don't adjust these every time once they are set, but I think if the cover ever stretches, you can adjust them)

The Evo has red fabric sewn into the nose of the cover, so when it is rolled up, I can easily find the nose to position it to unroll the cover.

Sunbrella - Although not unique to Evo, it seems to hold up to the sun and stays waterproof when you take care of it.

All spots on the Evo to tighten it are at the transom . So once I have the cover on, I can tighten it all from the back. My last cover had cinches on either side, so I had to walk from side to side to tighten things down.

For comparison to the stock cover (commercial sewing).

Has a pole in the middle, although the pictures of evos that I have seen had the rope to tower thing.

No ties to trailer

Doesn't have any rub rail clips, the strap that runs all the way around the boat stays below rail.

No red, pointy end goes in front;)

Tightens at rear with 2 ratchet strap ratchets.

Well found a tag tonight. It's a Factory cover made to fit a '10-'12 sunscape 21 LSV / wakesetter 21 VLX. W/ illusion G3 tower

Why the dealer gave me this when I bought a '01 23LSV is beyond me.... I'v already tried to fix some other issues with zero luck. So it's for sale, I need to find a cover for my boat

Well who can tell me if the Sunscape 21LSV hull and topside changed from 2005 to 2010? Same for the base of the Illusion X vs Illusion G3.

Thanks.