Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Echelon prices

footndale

I bought my 1997 Echelon with around 170 hours on it five summers ago for $10k. It has the Monsoon, but no tower and original trailer.

It goes 49 mph with the stock CVP prop.

44mph on GPS. Merc 265 with a not quite perfect 515.

Haven't gone through the fuel system before the carb and plugs check a bit lean. May gain a bit with more fuel at WOT.

Clean LX (open bow) sold here last fall for 12.5k. Burgundy/blue/cream one I think we talked about. As a buyer I'd go up to 9k max for a closed bow and up to 11k max for an LX unless they were President's Edition/454.

Edited by jk13

Huge performance difference in a Monsoon (late 96 or 997 model) or a carbed or TBI Mercruiser. These Mercs were pre Vortec and a about 60 HP less than a Monsoon. I love the Echelon both open and closed bow. Kind of like the DENALI of the Response world.

My boat runs right at 50 mph on GPS. (Monsoon) Acme 13/12 with a little xtra cup

Edited by grandude

@footndale: for Echelons w/ the 265 Merc, 44-46 mph is pretty typical. As noted, when the Vortec heads bumped the power levels up in '96, much closer to the 50 mph mark. That boat looks really clean, is a first year model although it is interesting to see the solid black outer stripe that does not appear to match the interior, I wonder if it has a wrap, paint or gel mod as it sure doesn't look original.

Not too far off from 10 year newer boats with PP and fuel injection. Are the Echelon's way better for barefooting? I never really understood why Malibu had so many direct drive offerings 15 - 20 years ago. Echelon, Response, Tantrum, Sportster, Corvette, Sunsetter, etc. Not to mention Flightcraft.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=32594

Not too far off from 10 year newer boats with PP and fuel injection. Are the Echelon's way better for barefooting? I never really understood why Malibu had so many direct drive offerings 15 - 20 years ago. Echelon, Response, Tantrum, Sportster, Corvette, Sunsetter, etc. Not to mention Flightcraft.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=32594

Wow that seems like an even better deal!

Original boat linked is mine. I am looking to get into a bigger boat now that we have established that the whole family enjoys being on the water. The stripe was painted with PPG automotive paint, I had always planned to update the interior to match. Price is negotiable, I purposely listed it a bit high to combat craigslist lowballers. This boat is not perfect but now that the kinks have been worked out its been reliable and out on the water every chance we get. No idea on hours, computron was pulled when I couldn't find replacement parts.

• Like 2

OK, so what do you guys think mine is worth? I'm not selling, but while we are on the subject...

'94 Echelon Lx

Custom built 385hp carbed engine w/ dyno tests, 20 hours on engine

Manual wedge

Refinished teak deck from '06 Vride with wedge access door

New 3" exhaust hoses & fuel lines

STE exhaust tips

New custom interior in 2009

Matching jump seat

Insulated engine cover

Boss tower with 2 Wake Designs racks

ECI barefoot boom with storage bag

Alpine stereo, 4 Polk speakers, Boston Acoustics amp, Basslink sub

Single axle trailer with new paint and bunks in 2010, new tires in 2011

Sunbrella cover, trailerable

Working computron except for depth and speed

650 hours overall, 20 hours on new engine

post-8942-0-97284100-1432298645_thumb.jp
post-8942-0-69443700-1424700855_thumb.jp

I just saw a 96 sunsetter vlx in what looked like very poor condition, unknown hours, no water test.....go for a little over 7k at an auction. It went to an online bidder with no inspection. I could not believe it went for that much.

It's running very well. I don't get on it very hard - don't have to, but will do a prop change next year. And it sounds perfect - you guys would be proud. I'm glad I modified that silencer like I did.

Here we are on Lake Michigan last week. LAKE freaking MICHIGAN! We took it about 45 minutes north from Muskegon, just purring along at 30mph.

Funny, I look back at the list of all I've got on that boat and think "I'd be a moron to sell that boat".

post-8942-0-83268100-1438889805_thumb.jp

• Like 3