Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Never Been On My Boat By Myself...Never Launched at Night

Afun

Afun, we have run Norris at night many times as long as no major debris. Sure, your taking a chance at night of hittin a log or something but going 20-27mph isn't to bad down there. We use a 1 mill candle power flood lite if no moon light and have made the run from Flat Hollow to Deerfield many times on a late Saturday night, karaoke night at the Hollow can be a blast w the right crews show up. As long as ya know your water way well and use a light when needed it 's beautiful and refreshing. Just something about the dark and peacefulness of the lake. Be safe man, enjoy.

• Like 2

I have to ask (not just the original poster) but is launching and recovering a boat by yourself that big of a deal? What makes launching a boat at night a big deal as well...assuming you know your lake well.

I have to ask (not just the original poster) but is launching and recovering a boat by yourself that big of a deal? What makes launching a boat at night a big deal as well...assuming you know your lake well.

Sure when the ramp is busy. When empty during the week not so much.

Sure when the ramp is busy. When empty during the week not so much.

That's understandable but that person launching by himself or with a lazy or untrained person still has as much right to launch. I'll never complain about waiting for a solo person launching. I do it all the time but I choose to use the shore with 2 anchors to hold just off shore and NOT block the courtesy dock if busy.

Edited by AJWest

No. It's not a big deal at all. However, for some reason some people's blood pressure raises at the boat launch. It should be the same exact scenario when by yourself or with 100 people waiting or watching. I think some people feel the pressure to perform well when everyone's eyes are on them at the ramp. Like it's embarrassing to not do it right.... These tense situations can also cause people to remove their shirt in anger and challenge fellow on-lookers...

Our boat ramp has a full time crew that park their golf carts at the launch, drink beer and watch people struggle. It's weird. I can't tell you how many people I've helped at our ramp who looked like they were about to explode... Settle down people, this is a fun thing that we choose to do in our spare time!

If you own a boat and trailer it every time you go out, you should be proficient at launching and retrieving your boat all by yourself. The process is extremely simple. If you think otherwise, then you need to practice more until you're confortable.

If you can launch and retrieve with no issue at YOUR ramp when Norris is at full pool, then you have graduated to expert.

1) Pull in super narrow road.

2) Back down dirt hill

3) Jack knife trailer to avoid odd angle

4) Time jack knife perfectly to avoid boat hitting dock

5) Tie up to dock

6) Enjoy beer with golf cart crew laughing at others

• Like 2

If you can launch and retrieve with no issue at YOUR ramp when Norris is at full pool, then you have graduated to expert.

2) Back down dirt hill

5) Tie up to dock

True dat! If you know the process it's no problem. I should print your instructions and place them at the launch

I could not have said it any better than Tim. I look forward to sitting in a golf car one day drinking beer and watching the action at this ramp. It must be fun!

I could not have said it any better than Tim. I look forward to sitting in a golf car one day drinking beer and watching the action at this ramp. It must be fun!

That'd be kinda like Corky from the TV show "life goes on" laughing at the competitors in the special Olympics...

But seriously, you couldn't do that. You'd be feeling their pain.

That'd be kinda like Corky from the TV show "life goes on" laughing at the competitors in the special Olympics...

But seriously, you couldn't do that. You'd be feeling their pain.

Your right. I have a big heart and all I try to do is help people in distress.

Boat launch distress... I wonder if a doc would prescribe people Xanax if they explained their amount of boat launching distress

Take one pill 30 mins before launch or retrieval.

And then what would happen?

If you find yourself in that situation and you antagonize a mob of people...the best thing to do if they come at you is at least grab one guy and give him the DDT

Can you imagine your ramp like this....not good!

http://youtu.be/66YSjRGKaII

I have been on that very ramp with the same crowd:

Conditions were:

1) Slight buzz

2) Flat bottom V-Drive with no Neutral/Reverse

3) Afternoon 5mph wind

Boat idled at 7mph so you had to time everything right with the wind and cut the ignition to coast in. Got pretty close but did have to jump out so I would not hit trailer. Some mild heckling; no big deal.

Taken mine out solo several times, but I'm in a slip, so its a lot easier than launching. We boat at night all the time on Flathead. Surfing at night with no other boat wake and glass is spectacular. Just put glow sticks on the life vests with a zip tie. Plus, gotta justify putting in those swim lights!!!

Holy crap on that boat launch vid. Thats exactly why we got a slip. Don't miss dealing with the yahoos on the ramp. If I pull mine out to gas up I do it in the morning when the drunk mob is nowhere to be found....

2) Back down dirt hill

5) Tie up to dock

I think you just described almost every ramp on Norris.

2) Back down dirt hill

5) Tie up to dock

And people still pay money to launch here....and you complain about Norris Dam Launch....Com'on Man