Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Storm rips through northern Michigan.. Bu's survive! Hoist.....

powderjay

Not so much. House to a couple hits, but all were safely in the basement. First summer on the lake has been exciting to say the least.

post-22837-0-12438600-1438650413_thumb.j

post-22837-0-74895700-1438650465_thumb.j

post-22837-0-13039200-1438650480_thumb.j

post-22837-0-36006600-1438650563_thumb.j

Edited by powderjay

My parents have a rental just south on crystal lake. I have no pics but the renter had the mooring line tied to the cleat on the side of his boat. My mom explained that was a bad idea and they didn't listen. The cleat of course broke and their boat swamped wedged between the rocks and the neighbors dock. Thankfully it's an aluminum fishing boat.

Funny thing is that afterward they tied the mooring to the cleat on the other side of the boat some people...

My neighbor lost the top of his lift. Two houses to my south it picked the lift cover up and set it back down on his boat. I don't think he had the corner posts bolted to the lift. My ski buds boat it blew his cover off so I went down and got it back on.

But I have another friend down the lake he has some 70- 80 foot tall pines next to his house. From the lake I thought he had a micro burst that took the trees down.

We took a look and one was hit by lightning. Now I have seen a lot of lightning strikes but nothing like this. It looked like someone put pounds of explosives in it.

Nothing left . Craters in the ground. Some parts as big as eight feet long Two feet in diameter 100 feet away. The concussion blew his chimney down. took out many windows. one piece right through his roof. One chunk through a big picture window into his living room just over his wife sitting in a recliner. He said he didn't even know what happened but his wife passed him and was in the kitchen before he could even move.

Looks like all the electrical in the house is shot. even the wiring was smoking so yeper the fire department got a call. He is on a cove and it looked like someone was logging and putting the wood in the lake.

That is wild about that lightning strike. I did see on the national news this morning a bit about that storm. The clouds were green. They mentioned something about that but did not go into detail.

Glad everyone's ok! That first picture of the storm is intense and something I'd like to not see any time soon.

Six, that's a crazy story about your friend. We've had lightning strike at my partents house into the same style pine trees and the aftermath is no fun at all.

Was driving home Sunday through this storm from a week on Mullet Lake and there was golf ball size hail... we stopped under a underpass til it blew though. Then another wave of storms came through but lucky us there was no hail. One of the worst storms I have witnessed... the normal 3.5 hr drive turned into 6 hours. Blew out a tire also in all this.

MalibuNation

Had the same thing happen to my canopy after a huge storm in SW Michigan several years ago. Lots of trees down and some on boats. Glad everyone is ok.

ahopkins22LSV

Glad you were all OK Powder. I have a friend that lives on Glen Lake and the pictures he has been sending me are crazy. He just sent me a tri-tune, guessing 24+ feet upside-down still on the lift at the end of the neighbors dock. The two houses on each side of them are pretty much destroyed from trees, somehow theirs seems to have minimal damage.

Also, somehow, the White Lake area here slid through a weaker section of the storm once it got here and I didn't even have branches in my yard. :crazy:

Had the same thing happen to my canopy after a huge storm in SW Michigan several years ago. Lots of trees down and some on boats. Glad everyone is ok.

Not sure if my insurance will cover the boat canopy damage... anyone have any experience with that.

Was driving home Sunday through this storm from a week on Mullet Lake and there was golf ball size hail... we stopped under a underpass til it blew though. Then another wave of storms came through but lucky us there was no hail. One of the worst storms I have witnessed... the normal 3.5 hr drive turned into 6 hours. Blew out a tire also in all this.

Were you towing your boat?

My neighbor lost his lift cover and his insurance is going to cover it. Well less deductible $150.00 Not bad for an older cover. Rose city or just north had the largest size hail ever recorded in Mich. Just over soft ball size. I may take a ride up to my hunting camp tomorrow just to be sure I don't have anything needing attention.

^^I'd assume because the water is too shallow up by shore in order to get your boat to the dock. And it's too far of a distance to build a dock to deeper water.

So how do you get all the gear, supplies, people out to your boat? A dingy of some sorts with multiple trips? pick them up at a neighboring dock?

So how do you get all the gear, supplies, people out to your boat? A dingy of some sorts with multiple trips? pick them up at a neighboring dock?

Some poor soul (me) gets wet and walks the boat in to the dock.

Catapult. They've been doing it for years

• Like 3