Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski Courses at DHL

Soon2BV

This weekend we stumbled across a second ski course at Dale Hollow, so i though i would share the locations of the two i know of for anyone who is looking there.

These are both public access courses. I know for sure one is an individual and her family that installs it, the second one might be an individual or a club. Either way, take care when around them - they are privately owned but have to be public access.

One is on Fanny's Creek, near the state park property and towards Wisdom Dock. This is a nice course and you can make a hard turn at the back to return back through the course.

One is on Jolly Creek, between the inlet to Star Point Marina and Cove Creek. It is tucked away around a bend in the creek, so well protected. There is a nice open area at both ends go the course for a turn around.

I know the person that owns the Fanny;s Creek course and have made some ski-ball donations to help with the cost. I am going to try and find the owner of the Jolly Creek course and do the same.

This weekend we stumbled across a second ski course at Dale Hollow, so i though i would share the locations of the two i know of for anyone who is looking there.

These are both public access courses. I know for sure one is an individual and her family that installs it, the second one might be an individual or a club. Either way, take care when around them - they are privately owned but have to be public access.

One is on Fanny's Creek, near the state park property and towards Wisdom Dock. This is a nice course and you can make a hard turn at the back to return back through the course.

One is on Jolly Creek, between the inlet to Star Point Marina and Cove Creek. It is tucked away around a bend in the creek, so well protected. There is a nice open area at both ends go the course for a turn around.

I know the person that owns the Fanny;s Creek course and have made some ski-ball donations to help with the cost. I am going to try and find the owner of the Jolly Creek course and do the same.

I would love to get down to that lake. Good on you for donating to the cause!! I would be doing the same.

Thanks for the heads up.

I would love to get down to that lake. Good on you for donating to the cause!! I would be doing the same.

Thanks for the heads up.

it is worth your drive! Guaranteed.

if you decide to go, give me a shout and i can give you advice on lodges, cabins, campgrounds or houseboats! *

* all trip guidance provided through Soon2BV Dale Hollow Tour Guide Inc, Dba, LLC, MBA, etc.

We used to ski the one on Fanny's creek, it is a tight turn on the one end and you get some echoing waves off the shore walls (it's a cliff on the one side). We would usually do a pass starting from the lake side, spin, do another pass and drop for it to calm down. One year the lake was about 15 feet low, that really made the turn tight on the one end.

I never got a chance to use the one on Jolly but know the spot. What's cool about both places is you can park a house boat very close to the course and literally fall into your ski boat to grab a few sets. Both are very well protected from the wind so the only waves back there are generated by boats.

You can also stay at Eagle Cove and have a reasonable boat drive to either course. I wonder how that place is doing since the ownership change. We only stayed there once after it was purchased but many times before and enjoyed it.

I miss DHL, our situation with the kids just isn't going to allow for us to go down for a long time.

If anyone is looking for a big lake (600+ miles of shore line) experience I highly recommend it. The beauty of DHL is none of it is so open where the water gets too rough to handle with even a low freeboard ski boat.

Edited by Wayne

You can also stay at Eagle Cove and have a reasonable boat drive to either course. I wonder how that place is doing since the ownership change. We only stayed there once after it was purchased but many times before and enjoyed it.

Eagles Cove is still very nice for the cabins and for easy access to you boat from any of the cabins. Launch the boat, park the truck, and you can walk to and from. The houseboats are nice, cabins nice, but they need to put some $$ in their docks - especially the ones for cabin renters. Not much there from a "store" perspective - it would be an awesome location for a floating restaurant!

And you are right on the course at Fanny's Creek. Low water and that turn get a little exciting!

We were die hard Sunset Marina people until we tried Eagle Cove. They did put in a brand new dock for the cabin renters but that one was in place for one season and they "reserved" it for full season slip customers. One year we were there a bad storm came in and about a 40 slip section of dock broke loose and crashed into shore. I don't think any customer boats were damaged and we pulled out stuff out for the night since the storm looked so bad. After that season we were back at Sunset but that kind of eliminated the ability to use the slalom course since is half way across the lake. I wish some one would drop a course in near Sunset, there are some good spots for one but it just never happens.

We asked the old owners of Eagle Cove why no resturaunt, they said Wisdom has one and there used to be another one over near Wolf River Marina (I think) and they didn't want to compete. The workers there said that the new owners are not that interested in investing money in the facility but wanted to do more land development (condos and more cabins). Not sure what they are doing now. I think the same company/people own Eagle Cove and Star Point. Has Star Point been improved lately?

We always liked Sunsets house boats. They seemed to be the most well kept on the lake but I know that can always change. Wisdom had a few flagship house boats that were supposedly really nice. Hendricks were also decent but that place is in the sticks. There are some awesome coves around Hendrics to ski. We did some poking around and I found a couple of families that had a hidden spot to park 2-3 houseboats and dropped in a temporary course.

The course at Jolly Creek isn't to far from Sunset.

Sunset still has the #1 or #2 restaurant. Chef left last year and it lost a little. Their cabins are nice but pricey. Their houseboats are by far the best on the lake. Slightly more $ but much nicer all around.

Wisdom and Sulphur restaurant are both up and down. Wisdom just renovated and the restaurant is smaller - they added hotel rooms to the floating building and they are pretty sweet - hotel and a covered boat parking spot at your door!

Eagle Cove and Holly Creek have the same owners. They have added more cabins but not much dock space.

Star Point has had a new owner for a few years - nephew of Tommye who owned it before. Not much investment for a few years and the restaurant closed, but now they have added some new docks and improved the launch ramps.

Several of the marinas are getting rid of the old small wood docks and upgrading. Many of them are too narrow for boats built in the last 10 years and there might be insurance pressure to get rid of wood structure.

Edited by Soon2BV

That's right Holly Creek was with Eagle Cove, it's been too long since we were last there. The hotel rooms at wisdom sound interesting, especially if your boat is parked almost right outside your door. I'll take a look at their website. We ruled wisdom out in the past since their cabins were up the hill from the dock. Not far but the walk would not be fun. We stayed in one of the big Sunset cabins, The Oaks I think it's called. Was a really nice place and it easily accommodated 2 families (which is what we did). The crappy part was some one went through our boat and our friends boat. The stole pretty much anything that wasn't in a locked compartment (boards, ropes, fire extinguishers and so on). Sunsets manager, Tom I believe is his name, sold us replacement stuff at cost and even gave us a break on the cabin rental because of the incident. It happened on the first night of our vacation that year. I think he bolstered his security a little after that (well and the following night after our incident some one stole $500 worth of batteries and an outboard engine from him). Even though bad stuff happens that isn't Sunsets fault they take care of their customers. I would still go back there but make use of the storage lockers at the dock just for a little extra security. Until that year we never had an issue with theft at Sunset, I never left anything out in the open but usually no one would lift the cover on your boat and go through it either. I guess times change.

On Sunsets houseboats we had a couple of issues over the years. One had an AC unit die and a second one had bad batteries in the house bank that powered everything when the generator was off. On both occasions they sent people out to where we were parked and fixed the issue. I hope they are still providing customer service like that. Heck one year they upgraded us to a larger houseboat because for no charge because he had them sitting open.