Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel gauge 22vlx

catalac

What's the most fuel you've put in? My tank is stamped 46 gallons / 174 litres most I've put in is 30 gallons 115 litres and gauge was showing 13% fuel remaining? 13% would be 6 gallons so should have taken 40 gallons to fill. Gauge 10 gallons off?

When I am 0% I have about 12 gallons remaining. You should have a 48 gallon tank. Each boat will vary. Malibu set the 0% with some reserve. My one gripe about the vlx is the tank is too small. We can burn 50+ gallons in one day and I have to refuel to make it.

• Like 2

When I am 0% I have about 12 gallons remaining. You should have a 48 gallon tank. Each boat will vary. Malibu set the 0% with some reserve. My one gripe about the vlx is the tank is too small. We can burn 50+ gallons in one day and I have to refuel to make it.

I agree on tank size we can barely make a day of it on, needs another 10-15 gallons.

What engine/prop combo are you guys running? I have a 22 VLX with the 350/Acme 1235.

We went out Fri, Sat, Sun this weekend. A bunch of mixed riding some surfing, wakeboarding, lake taxi to dock to pick up and drop off people, and just floating.

We used alomost 50 gallons with 8.5 hrs of run time.

Don't get me started. I have a 2014 VTX that I thought had a 40 gallon tank which is crazy small for a 350. I ran out of gas and was towed to gas station. Only able to get 34.4 gallons in it. I saw somewhere else it is actually 38 gallons. Apparently not 38 usable gallons.

To be fair, it's all how you are using it. We can burn through a tank on an LSV in under a day if we are only surfing. I can last a weekend at the river if we don't surf much. Surfing with the added weight we use just sucks up the gas. Basically the equivalent of a trucks gas mileage towing vs non towing

I have about 14 to 15 gallons left once it hits the low fuel message, or 12% left, I wish it was a little more accurate only because we always stop and head back after the low fuel message, I'm sure we could go about 2 more hours, Just dont want to run out...

To be fair, it's all how you are using it. We can burn through a tank on an LSV in under a day if we are only surfing. I can last a weekend at the river if we don't surf much. Surfing with the added weight we use just sucks up the gas. Basically the equivalent of a trucks gas mileage towing vs non towing

You would be coming in about 3 hours earlier with the VLX, considering it holds about 20 gallons less than the LSV and requires just as much weight for surfing and wakeboarding. I burn 6-7 gph depending on elevation, prop, crew size, etc... its just not enough for a full day of riding. Basically I have to waist at least an hour of our day driving back to marina, re fueling and heading back out. Not to mentioned paying an extra $1.50/gallon at the marina over fuel station by our house. Wish there was a way to add a larger fuel tank or extra capacity, I would be all over it.

Edited by Fman

Yes, consuming more fuel I am sure its because the boat is 500 lbs more and I am running about 600 lbs more water weight. I think I was around 6 gph on my 350.

Edited by Fman

The only thing I don't like about the 22VLX is it's small fuel tank. We easily go through 75% of the tank in a moderate day playing. If we hit it hard we have to pull off and get more gas

I came up with the same figures, 12 gallons at 0%. I ran last weekend one wakesurf ride past 0%. not bouncing from 0 to 12, but 0. I didn't run out, and was paddling distance from the ramp incase. Then I put in 25 gallons and it read 75%. I kind of wonder if the tank is really as big as the spec sheet claims.

Yesterday my LSV was reading 12% on the gas gauge. So I go to fill up and it only took 27 gallons for the pump to click. I know it was full cuz I kept trying to fill it more and it kept clicking... I was so confused that I tried a second pump with same results.

When I dropped it back on the water the gauge read 87%... not 100%

I don't understand why gas gauge technology on $100k boats is worse than on a $15k Kia.