Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Custom springs / shocks?

cowwboy

I was wondering if anyone knows of a spring manufacturer that makes springs for the exact weight of your rig? Most sites just have your generic 3500lb spring so ends up with a 7k capacity when with all gear and fuel my boat / trailer is 5100lbs(cat certified scales). I am going to get new axles this winter due to whoever made these didn't align the spindles correctly when welding them on. So 3 out of 4 have toe in and two have camber issues also.

I figured it would be cool to have springs that have the exact spring rate for my rig.

Also being Oklahoma has horrific roads how hard it would be to put shocks on them?

It would kick a** to have a full air ride suspension but I think that would be way overkill and not worth the time and money designing the suspension.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a spring manufacturer that makes springs for the exact weight of your rig? Most sites just have your generic 3500lb spring so ends up with a 7k capacity when with all gear and fuel my boat / trailer is 5100lbs(cat certified scales). I am going to get new axles this winter due to whoever made these didn't align the spindles correctly when welding them on. So 3 out of 4 have toe in and two have camber issues also.

I figured it would be cool to have springs that have the exact spring rate for my rig.

Also being Oklahoma has horrific roads how hard it would be to put shocks on them?

It would kick a** to have a full air ride suspension but I think that would be way overkill and not worth the time and money designing the suspension.

I actually took out one of the leaf's on my standard springs. Now the springs actually flex a little rather than just the tires. Cheap and easy. so far, i have over 1500miles and no issues. Adding shocks would be very easy. I have been to cheap and lazy to mount some up.

But torsion are not self leveling and I have heard they don't ride all to well.

Haven't seen any new, quality trailer that doesn't use torsion axles recently. Ride is fine, and they self level at each wheel since the suspension is completely independent.

If you are talking about front to back self leveling, that shouldn't really be an issue unless you have your hitch height set wrong for the trailer.

Edited by oldjeep

Haven't seen any new, quality trailer that doesn't use torsion axles recently. Ride is fine, and they self level at each wheel since the suspension is completely independent.

If you are talking about front to back self leveling, that shouldn't really be an issue unless you have your hitch height set wrong for the trailer.

http://www.ryantrailers.com

Still use leaf springs. I had one under my vlx.

From the pictures on that site I'm guessing that they are way cheaper than a boatmate?

Not sure, I bought my boat used. I have been happy with the trailer so far though. Especially the rollers on the prop guard.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been years since I have used them but Dent Spring in Cincinnati, Ohio used to form custom leaf and coil springs. I knew some guys with 1st and 2nd Gen Camaros that had them make up special springs for their application.

We have a local shop that will custom make any kind of coil spring I can imagine.

They make springs for a lot of very well known companies and some race teams.

But unless I plan on 4 linking my trailer they can't help me.

I have tossed around idea's on how to air ride it. But figured it is not worth the time and effort.

Now If I had the coin to cut a check for a brand new mxz, whats the difference adding another 4k for a custom air ride trailer.

Haven't seen any new, quality trailer that doesn't use torsion axles recently.

2014 Boatmate triple axle with leaf springs here.

Much better tow than 3 previous torsion trailers (2 Boatmates and 1 Phoenix) all in the 7-8000lb tow category. Not even close perfoamce wise.

Much more stable, much less suspension slop and wiggle.

2014 Boatmate triple axle with leaf springs here.

Much better tow than 3 previous torsion trailers (2 Boatmates and 1 Phoenix) all in the 7-8000lb tow category. Not even close perfoamce wise.

Much more stable, much less suspension slop and wiggle.

On a triple with leaf springs, what does the spring attachment look like? Tandem setup with equalizer and a standalone, or something else?